Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so confuse.. I thought it was a couple of quick cuts, Haha, not so easy i guess. Can anyone help a fool out, i keep trying to search the internet and am getting more confused..

·
Registered
20,026 Posts
QUICKJET here on the boards does custom crown molding...;)

·
Steady Rollin
1,172 Posts
wait till you have to do a bull nose corner. I pretty much whittled pieces of trim till they fit.

While we are on the subject, whats the proper method for bull nose + trim? 22.5* angles? which i know my cheap miter box did not have.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am so confuse.. I thought it was a couple of quick cuts, Haha, not so easy i guess. Can anyone help a fool out, i keep trying to search the internet and am getting more confused..

LOL ya... That stuff isn't like snapping together legos... Good luck. :p

·
I am Roger..the Shrubber
1,080 Posts
45 or 38 degree? What size (height of the crown)? Do you have a compound sliding mitre or just a chop saw...or any saw....please don't tell me you're doing it with one of these.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
try this, dead end one piece strait into the wall, measure the mating piece to the minor (inside) dimension and use a small coping saw to trim out the excess so that it fits tight to the dead end run... should be plenty of vids on youtube or elsewhere to show this technique, its EZ...

the big challenge is getting splice cut miters to fit good and tight...

Is this painted OR stained trim???

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
wait till you have to do a bull nose corner. I pretty much whittled pieces of trim till they fit.

While we are on the subject, whats the proper method for bull nose + trim? 22.5* angles? which i know my cheap miter box did not have.
The way I do it. Take a piece of stock longer than you need 2 or 3 inches and cut a 22.5* both ways to make the back side of the molding the point of both cuts. Then cut your remaining piece to 22.5*. Glue it together and the grain should match.

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
:D
try this, dead end one piece strait into the wall, measure the mating piece to the minor (inside) dimension and use a small coping saw to trim out the excess so that it fits tight to the dead end run... should be plenty of vids on youtube or elsewhere to show this technique, its EZ...

the big challenge is getting splice cut miters to fit good and tight...

Is this painted OR stained trim???
a fellow board and boating buddy( DAVEO) taught me this one, dont rush it takes a few minutes when trimming out the material....MEASURE 5 TIMES CUT ONCE is how i conditiond myself...lol.. and chaulking works wonders:D laid a lil over 2000sqft of it in the past 2 months

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your best friend for crown is a inside/outside angle finder since no wall is ever plumb. If you cant figure out the angle and you think it might not be a 45 cut two scrap pieces at a 45 and butt them up in the corner and see if it looks right and tight if not trim until you find the right angle.

Erik

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
It's 45`, and the material is primed fiberboard. The walls are lathe and plaster so nothings square or true. I was planning on using coping method after i get the inside cuts down.. But I haven't figure out by cuts, yet.

Thanks for all the feedback..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts