Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about shortening some Bassett's and wondering the best way to go about it ? Band saw ? Big pipe cutters ? I know some of you guys have done it, so any advice ?? They are already coated so I'm concerned on chipping them. I was thinking about wrapping duct tape where I was going to cut to prevent the chipping.......what do you think ??

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Was thinking about shortening some Bassett's and wondering the best way to go about it ? Band saw ? Big pipe cutters ? I know some of you guys have done it, so any advice ?? They are already coated so I'm concerned on chipping them. I was thinking about wrapping duct tape where I was going to cut to prevent the chipping.......what do you think ??
its gonna chip. put them in someone's horizontal bandsaw and you'll get a nice straight cut though. oh and plan on losing some HP's afterwards. probably not enough to notice though.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Use masking tape, not duct tape. But they will still chip, but it might help some.

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The muffler shop would be pretty easy.....didn't think of that. The chipping issue is a problem though ! Not sure ??

Cyclone: Do you know that it will chip first hand ? Or just assuming ?

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a cut off saw? very little chipping
Mike, did you use any tape, or see much of any hp loss ? Is the loss down low or up top. Could you pm some info on your 19ft Daytona ( price bare, w/trailer, and color options) Thanks.

·
Registered
981 Posts
To keep the chipping to a bare minimum wrap the area your going to cut with painters masking tape and wrap it tight!! Your best bet for cutting is something with high rpm. The higher the rpm the less chips will result. Kinda like cutting steel braided line if you have ever done that. Myself i would wrap them a few times with tape and stick them on a chop saw with a metal cutting blade.. Ive cut a few sets of headers for custom applications and the chopsaw has always done me good. None of the sets were jet coated just painted.

For a straight cut, use a wrap around make your mark and line it up with the chopsaw blade as close as possible and WHACK make yer cut.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Use a cut off wheel it would cause very little chipping if any because it would grind the metal away in very small amounts, instead of in lager chips like a saw blade. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
How much are you cutting off??

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
For what it's worth... I'd use the painters blue masking tape, double wrapped mark it where you want it cut and then take it to a muffler shop.

Keep this in mind though; do you want the header length to look the same at the transome ? Are your header's the same length and are the front cylinders of the engine dead even or off-set a bit ? Measure twice cut once !!!!

Sleeper CP :D

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
To keep the chipping to a bare minimum wrap the area your going to cut with painters masking tape and wrap it tight!! Your best bet for cutting is something with high rpm. The higher the rpm the less chips will result. Kinda like cutting steel braided line if you have ever done that. Myself i would wrap them a few times with tape and stick them on a chop saw with a metal cutting blade.. Ive cut a few sets of headers for custom applications and the chopsaw has always done me good. None of the sets were jet coated just painted.

For a straight cut, use a wrap around make your mark and line it up with the chopsaw blade as close as possible and WHACK make yer cut.
The only thing I would add is don`t cut all the way thru turn header 180 deg and cut back other way doesn`t chip as bad

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
its gonna chip. put them in someone's horizontal bandsaw and you'll get a nice straight cut though
Best advice on this thread for a straight cut and for the least amount of chipping.

Also Sleepers comments about your heads offset and where you want the final cut ... measure three times and then take it to someone who has a horizontal band saw ... oh yeah, use the blue painter's tape as they said as well.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
grab a sawzall, a case of beer, a sharpie for perfectly straight lines, and have at it...at least thats how we did mine the first time

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
grab a sawzall, a case of beer, a sharpie for perfectly straight lines, and have at it...at least thats how we did mine the first time

How'd you do it the second time?:D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ya, you forgot to mention that we didnt take em off the boat at the time, It was more than a 30 pack too

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
Will Cutting them down hurt performance?
Depend's on the engine....Cu.in, cam, intake and power band.

Have run our engine on the dyno with both long and short collectors, 3 HP less with the short collector, and they were really short.

Denpends on the engine an how much he is cutting off.

Sleeper CP :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts