Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My Father passed last night. 68 YO. What a tough SOB.
He battled Prostate Cancer for a full 13 years. Stayed 100% active lived in Anchorage, AK and toured around Havasu, Parker, and Padre for the last 10 years in his motor home.
He was retired USAF, (Combat Control Team), sort of the bad asses of the Air Force. Certified HALO (High Altitude Low Opening), Formed and operated his own Skydiving club at the age of 27 for about 4-5 years. ( I used to make money packing chutes for him at the age of 8-9 YO.)
He once beat Roy Johnson (the world champion in target accuracy in skydiving at the time) in a meet in Arkansas when I was 9.
He then entered Corrections in Alaska as a jail guard, and retired 14 years later as Superintendent.

I was privileged to be able to say goodbye to him last Tuesday. Deb and I flew to Anchorage last week, and I spent 3 days with him. He was slipping fast, but when he was coherent he was still cracking jokes. The last night I was with him I said my piece to him. Told him that He taught me everything I knew, to which he said I must be a dumbshit! That was him.:)devil

He did know who I was, and we had our last hugs and tears, then we left. The next morning he never opened his eyes, and went 6 full days until he stopped breathing last night.
While we were there no less than a dozen CC team members came by. These were men I knew as a child. The respect they had for him was overwhelming. These men are all veterans of combat, and I never really knew the extant of the respect they had for this Man. I remember seeing him chew their butts when he was their Sarge', and now they were lifting him into his wheelchair like a child.
Next week He is receiving full Military Honors at Elmendorf AFB, or Fort Richardson, in Anchorage, and being laid to rest with his comrades.

I tell you, they just don't make many like Him anymore.
RIP Dad.:)devil:)hand:)devil

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
May he rest in peace. Prayers for you and your family!

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
My condolences TG.

Sounds like you have a lifetime of fantastic memories to celebrate his life with.

RIP

·
Registered
590 Posts
My condolences ThatGuy,

You have great memories, and your last visit was with the man you remembered and admired. You'll be able to hold onto that forever.

RIP.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all.
I could go on for weeks about all the cool things he exposed me to. Traveling around the world as a kid not being the least.

But I think my #1 cool memory was being the "Jumpmasters' kid".
We were watching some old super 8 film last week from when I was 9 years old. There was a lot of footage of his guys and Him exiting a low wing Piper airplane skydiving. Some one asked who was filming and I said "Me".

He had made me a harness out of a Skydiving rig that allowed me to snap on to the door frame of the airplane, and I would kneel with one knee on the wing and one knee on the floor and actually lay out over thin air ( at 7000 - 9000 feet) and film them. Pretty cool stuff for a 9 year old!
:D

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Told him that He taught me everything I knew, to which he said I must be a dumbshit! That was him.:)devil

Classic!!

Sorry about your father, sounds like a good guy......

·
Registered
247 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

I can relate as we lost my dad/best friend last year. He lost his battle to cancer after undergoing a very successful lung transplant at UCLA. 67yrs old.

The cancer all started from a small skin cancer on his head from years at the lake. Anti rejection drugs for the transplant allowed it to spread into his bones.

I can tell you there is not a day that goes by that he is not in my thoughts. I was lucky enough as you were to be with him in his last moments. Just remember all the good times and memories. Makes you realize how short life really is.

LD

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Tommy,

He undoubtedly is a great American. I say "is" because the memories you have as his son and the invisible impact he has made with his service to our country will live on.

I wish you and your family a speedy recovery and may you fathers soul be at peace.

BTW, this is classic:
Told him that He taught me everything I knew, to which he said I must be a dumbshit! That was him.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts