Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dale Lansberry, boat racer & owner of the meticulously restored "Shockwave" Super Stock and Chief Surveyor of the Salton Sea Speedweek passed away last Wednesday after a brief battle with Cancer.

Dale was a boat racer first and his love for the sport was evident. I had the priviledge of working with both Dale and his son Chad on the Salton Sea Speedweek event. Dale undertook the job of surveying the 5/8 mile Kilo course for APBA but midway through the job was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He called me to let me know and I immediately sought out other surveyors to finish the job but he wouldn't let it go and decided to keep on working on the project to see if through fruition. He passed 3 days after the Salton Sea Speedweek ended and in my conversations with Chad, I felt extremely guilty that his last days were spent worrying about some boat race. Chad immediately corrected me and said that Dale loved boat racing and thrived on stress and wouldn't have had it any other way. In fact he (Chad) felt Dale hung on until after the Speedweek to pass on to race eternal. I am forever grateful to Dale and Chad and my condolences to the entire Lansberry family. I have asked Chad to get a list of Dale's accomplishments together for a fitting tribute to put in the "Propeller" magazine. I also plan on making the 2009 Salton Sea Speedweek the Dale Lansberry Memorial race in his honor on the race sanction/circular for the racing community to remember him.

He was a great guy and I am very saddened by the loss.

Sincerely,

Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM RACING ENT.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Dale Lansberry, boat racer & owner of the meticulously restored "Shockwave" Super Stock and Chief Surveyor of the Salton Sea Speedweek passed away last Wednesday after a brief battle with Cancer.

Dale was a boat racer first and his love for the sport was evident. I had the priviledge of working with both Dale and his son Chad on the Salton Sea Speedweek event. Dale undertook the job of surveying the 5/8 mile Kilo course for APBA but midway through the job was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He called me to let me know and I immediately sought out other surveyors to finish the job but he wouldn't let it go and decided to keep on working on the project to see if through fruition. He passed 3 days after the Salton Sea Speedweek ended and in my conversations with Chad, I felt extremely guilty that his last days were spent worrying about some boat race. Chad immediately corrected me and said that Dale loved boat racing and thrived on stress and wouldn't have had it any other way. In fact he (Chad) felt Dale hung on until after the Speedweek to pass on to race eternal. I am forever grateful to Dale and Chad and my condolences to the entire Lansberry family. I have asked Chad to get a list of Dale's accomplishments together for a fitting tribute to put in the "Propeller" magazine. I also plan on making the 2009 Salton Sea Speedweek the Dale Lansberry Memorial race in his honor on the race sanction/circular for the racing community to remember him.
He was a great guy and I am very saddened by the loss.

Sincerely,

Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM RACING ENT.
That would be a very fitting tribute to him and his family. Rest in peace.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Dale called me 2 1/2 weeks ago and told me of his illness. He knew that I had lost Dick Waldrip the same way and just wanted to talk a little. He was still concerned about getting the motor back in the "Shockwave". I told him when he felt up to it I would come out to his house and put it in for him. Wish I coulda made the trip before he passed. Dale was a great guy and Ross...You're right...he loved boat racing. Chad...I don't think I've ever met you, but when it comes time to put his boat back together, please do not hesitate to call...it would be my honor...I'm praying for you and your family as you cope with your loss...
Dave Sammons

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
So sorry Chad for you and your familys loss. I didn't know Dale very well but he always made it point to say hello. A very nice man and one that will be missed.

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
I really had a great talk with Dale in Burley. I had watched his boat as a child when Don St. John drove it to many victories. He was thrilled to relive some of the past with me. I am truly sorry for the families loss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Godspeed Dale

Ross,
Naming the Salton Sea Kilo's after Dale is a wonderful tribute to a great man; Dale will be missed; condolences to Chad and the rest of Dale's family. I had the privledge of driving Dale's pride and joy in Long Beach when he first ran it in Nostalgia and it is a memory I will always cherish. Thanks for the memories Dale, and the best part is that we got to break the Cracker Box record on his course before he passed!
Magoo

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a very small world

It just so happens that Don St. John's son, Scott is the head of the little league where both of my boys play and I was able to re-unite Don and the rest of St. John clan along with others with Dale earlier this year (before Long Beach)- Dale was extremely pleased and I was glad to help them out.
Ross

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Rest In Peace

Dale will be missed by all of us that knew him. Naming the Salton Sea Kilos after him is a wonderful way to honor his memory. Like Dwight our son, Jeff, had the honor of drivng Shockwave at Irvine and then again at Burley in June. It is a memory he will always cherish. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Lansberry family.
Chuck and Jeannie Doidge

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Condolences

It was a pleasure to pit and race beside this beautiful boat and most important, meet Mr. and Mrs Lansberry in Burley this last year. Upon arriving to my first big race of my life I was a little concerned there would even be a Nostalgia class at all, but thanks to the efforts of the Moyles and the Burley committee there were 9 of us. Seeing Dales' amazing yellow and wood Patterson made me settle down big time!

I can only guess what a tragedy this is to his immediate family and all I can add is my jerkish opinion that he exemplified a true gentleman, wise safe racer, and a true joy to share the Burley race course with! I also surprised him with some tow money and he was so overwhelmed, I dont remember how many times he thanked me. Dale will sure be missed and I consider it a great honor to have met and raced him!
Let's see if I can post one shot to prove I ran beside to one of the Greats!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts