Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's a little difficult to answer. Sort of depends what kind of water you run in, and how old the cooler is. The end caps will corrode over time, but Olson sells them as they do the O-ring kits.
Just regular old lake water. Never had one apart before. Wasn't sure how to take care of it.
Thank you for your post !
Car Motor vehicle Automotive battery Automotive design Vehicle

·
Some guy
3,641 Posts
Wouldn't hurt you to take it apart. Eventually the end caps corrode. The end closest to the oil filter can only go back together one way, but use a small punch or something on the opposite end to help you remember which way the cap aligns when you put it back together. O-ring kit is less than $20 from Olsen I think. It will give you the chance to inspect the bundle of tubes for any obstructions. I use a little lubrication on the O-rings putting them back together, and of course if there is corrosion intruding into the areas that the large O-rings seal at the end caps you may have to consider replacement, unless you know someone real good at welding aluminum.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't hurt you to take it apart. Eventually the end caps corrode. The end closest to the oil filter can only go back together one way, but use a small punch or something on the opposite end to help you remember which way the cap aligns when you put it back together. O-ring kit is less than $20 from Olsen I think. It will give you the chance to inspect the bundle of tubes for any obstructions. I use a little lubrication on the O-rings putting them back together, and of course if there is corrosion intruding into the areas that the large O-rings seal at the end caps you may have to consider replacement, unless you know someone real good at welding aluminum.
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

·
Some guy
3,641 Posts
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.
One other thing to pay attention to. The bundle of tubes has a series of supports that act as gates to run the oil across them multiple times. If you look at it you should see which way it's designed to go in with the oil flowing from the entry point to the exit. I don't have one sitting here at the moment, have a new one on the way and will be taking it apart to get it polished. If I remember I will shoot a photo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts