Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 years ago this week my mom passed away at age 73. I wanted to share a little history with the board site. You see, mom liked to race cars. She raced her Porsche on the track and was the first woman to go over 100 miles an hour in the 1/4 mile at the drag strip. I have news paper articles showing her wrenching on the motor in the pits with all the men standing around watching. Articles from the early 50's. My moms daily driver was her Harley and my dad used to ride on the back. She also had a nice gullwing Mercedes from the 50's. I think she was ahead of her time back then as far as women racers on the track. RIP mom...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Very cool!! post some more pic's and thanx for sharing!!!

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
What a great memory to carry with you!:))THumbsUp

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Very cool history.

PS Danica was not the only women at Dayton. Johanna Long came in 21st in the Nationwide race with not so much as a mention.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the kind words. Mom was a little ahead of her time. I remember growing up as a kid she always the latest fastest hot rod cars that were being sold. Mustang cobras, 240Z, etc...anything that was fast and had a stick shift. She taught me how to drive and I learned on a stick only. I will try and scan some of the old news paper articles that show her in the pits at the drag strip working on her motor. Not sure exactly what year and model car it is she is working on looks like a chevy coupe hotrod.

When I say RIP mom that means "race in peace" for her :wink2: Lost my dad this week also 14 year ago. I remember working in the yard with him as a kid and mom would pull up in a brand new sports car and he would just shake his head. She worked for the phone company (Ma Bell) Pac Bell. She started as an operator working the switchboards and back then they used to have to wear roller skates because the boards were so long and they had to skate down and plug in the lines for the call to be connected. She worked her way up and eventually became upper level management and made more money then my Dad did working aerospace and she just liked to spend it on fast cars. Kind of like us now on here now but only with boats I suppose.....thanks everyone it's been a hard week.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Lavey that is a very cool story. I always smile when guys suggest that women can't compete in sports whether it be racing or most anything.

Here's a thread from awhile back that touched on women in boats.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lavey that is a very cool story. I always smile when guys suggest that women can't compete in sports whether it be racing or most anything.

Here's a thread from awhile back that touched on women in boats.

Thanks a lot and I remember this thread. The female drag boat racer is incredible. The speeds those things hit are insane. I agree with you also women can compete competitively in just about everything if they put their mind and effort into it.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
I also have to chuckle when guys bag on Danica for not being a good driver cause she came in 10th or 15th or something. The way I look at it she just beat 25 or 30 guys with those finishes. Not to hijack your thread, but she and many other drivers past and present are more proficient than a lot of their male counterparts. Just as I'm sure your mom was back in the day.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'll just toss out the boat names and let everybody think back and remember that are old enough! Proud Mary and pumpin punkin (the first boat I ever saw with a Z-drive) Your'e mom sounds like a great lady and may she race with the angels in peace. Sorry for your'e lose! Mark

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Mom's who race....

What a great memory!!! My mom is gone, 2 yrs tomorrow. She is why I love racing so much. While she didn't drive a race car, she did love going to the track and watching it on television. I would love to read more about your Mom! I think race mom's have a good thing going, they know it takes hard work to get everything together, but at the same time it's fun. So it sets a wonderful example to kids about how hard work can be fun. Mom didn't care for boat racing but she knew how much I love it and always encouraged me when I needed a bump. Thanks for the pictures...gives me ideas about my own retirement!!!!!

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone again for the kind comments. Means a lot to me as I remember mom and dad this week. I guess I took after my mom in a way. She and my grandfather helped me get my first car. Of course mom wanted it to be fast and have a stick shift. 20 fix it tickets later, well you get the idea...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Glad to see that people like your Mom paved the way for "Danicas" all over motor racing... my daughter raced MX for a bit, but grew out of it I guess...

And many other WMA MX Girl competitors:

Ashley Folek -Unbelievable talent!

Alisa Nix from Ukiah, CA- more talent

1 - 20 of 33 Posts