Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Anyone know if a Dart Big M is a mk iv or 5/6 block. Sorry for the newbie question.....
No such thing as a stupid question! Only stupid answers! From what I have been told the dart block is a different series and based on the MK5 series?? Welcome newbie:)devil We all were at some point! M

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I bought a built 598" motor out of a jet, trying to convert to v drive for my hydro, not sure which oil pan to get. Is the only difference between the series (in terms of oil pans), the rear main seal?

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Doubt it's the gen V, or VI, but rather MK IV. Gen V is the bastard GM block, Gen VI is the current production GM block. All the Dart stuff is MK IV GM, hardware friendly. Gen V, and Gen VI share the same one piece seal crank, and same oil pan, Timing covers are totally different.

·
Village Idiot
3,436 Posts
All the Dart stuff is MK IV GM, hardware friendly. Gen V, and Gen VI share the same one piece seal crank, and same oil pan, Timing covers are totally different.

BINGO! The dart uses all the Mark IV (standard Chevy) stuff as far as oil pans and timing covers go. Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions if they arise.

Paul

·
Registered
239 Posts
Unless you have the lifter bores cut it will be necessary to run .300" taller pieces, which aren't typical to the Mark IV. All other compontry is Mark IV bolt on. Cam bearings are special Dart P/N's.

·
Administrator
16,874 Posts
The Dart Block uses Gen IV GM external sheet metal and heads.

It uses late model GM oiling system and lifters. But Gen IV cam

They've taken the best and most plentiful and designed them in.

Most new BBC lifters are already tall since they work in both late and early model blocks. Or at least readily available.

Same with the Merlin III blocks except for the tall lifter bores.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

·
Village Idiot
3,436 Posts
Unless you have the lifter bores cut it will be necessary to run .300" taller pieces, which aren't typical to the Mark IV. All other compontry is Mark IV bolt on. Cam bearings are special Dart P/N's.
Oh dang, I forgot to mention that. Thanks for bringing it up as my info could have led to him getting a little ticked off.:|err The oiling system is more like the later model big blocks, but the cam bearings go in just like the standard Mark IV blocks (where the oil hole is visible through the mains). The later model engines have to have the oil hole located at 10 O' clock.

Thanks for bringing up the stuff that I forgot guys.

Paul

·
P/E #426
372 Posts
Thanks, I bought a built 598" motor out of a jet, trying to convert to v drive for my hydro, not sure which oil pan to get. Is the only difference between the series (in terms of oil pans), the rear main seal?
We just pulled our 622 dart block out of our jet, to go into a hydro. We had a NICE pan made. Ill get you the information later this afternoon, if your interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts