Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
In Boat Shopping mode!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After being out of the boating life style for 7 years me and the wife are ready to get back into it. We haven't nailed down an exact boat yet that we want, but we do have three that we are interested in and really like. One of these boats is the Daves Custom Boats FX28 Extreme. This boat seems that it has everything that we are looking for in a boat, but I can't find any info on speed nor very many photos. I want the boat to have at least the Mercury Racing 525 as the power plant. Does anyone have any experience with one of these boats or know the speed that this boat will run with the 525. Thanks!!

·
The510
237 Posts
my buddys dad has one. 2005. great boat rides nice. open bow with a really big mid cuddy. I want to say it gets to just about 80 with the 525

·
The510
237 Posts
his is not an FX sorry. It is just a 28 extreme. There is one in the DCB pre-owned for $99,000 its been forsale for over a year im sure they want to move it. I have seen it in person and it is NICE. has a 600SCI. But again its just a 28 extreme

·
Registered
343 Posts
After being out of the boating life style for 7 years me and the wife are ready to get back into it. We haven't nailed down an exact boat yet that we want, but we do have three that we are interested in and really like. One of these boats is the Daves Custom Boats FX28 Extreme. This boat seems that it has everything that we are looking for in a boat, but I can't find any info on speed nor very many photos. I want the boat to have at least the Mercury Racing 525 as the power plant. Does anyone have any experience with one of these boats or know the speed that this boat will run with the 525. Thanks!!

There's an 04 28FX for 68K advertised right now. The boat was in PB mag in 2010. Just FYI, if you hadn't seen that ad yet.:))THumbsUp

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dcb 28 extreme

I sold mine about a year ago. It was an 04 28 Extreme with a 575 SCI w/chiller probably running about 650HP. This was a solid power plant for this boat, coupled with a bravo XR was just a creat combo. Safe in rough water, but did slam down in the front pretty hard in rough chop (a little uncomfortable for open bow riders). The boat ran a solid 80mph all day long. On light days i could propable get a few mph out of it. I will say though dam that thing drank the fuel. You'll probably run 70 with a 525 and get much better gas consumption.

I'm back into a Cat now, more speed with less horsepower.

Good luck on you hunt. For a VEE I wouldn't look at any other boats.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The DCB 28 Extreme is a nice boat. The only other boat I would consider in that class is the Howard 28 Bullet - both open and closed bow versions. There are some around for sale depending on price point. With a 525 it is also about and 80 mph boat. There are some high HP ones out there but then you get into lots of fuel and breaking drives.

I would say the Merc 600 with XR drive would be a fast and reliable combination regardless of which boat you picked. Good luck finding what you are looking for!

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I've had a 2005 28Extreme (not an FX) for three years now and couldn't be happier. It has a Merc600 in it and runs a comfortable 80+mph with several people, ice chests, and all my gear. It is a solid boat that gets on plane quickly and handles the Havasu chop without any issues. The cuddy cabin is very spacious and there is enough headroom for me to sit up with plenty of clearance (I'm 6'01").

When I purchased the boat I stumbled into a great deal because the last owner had it built with every option available at the time and was selling it because he upgraded to a F29. He babied the boat and it had just over a 100 hours on it when I picked it up.

Over the years I owned many other boats and rarely kept them over a year because I always wanted something better. Needless to say we are very happy with the 28Extreme since we have no plans on selling it anytime soon (that is unless I stumble into a great deal on a M29 or F29)....I attached a few pics of ours. Feel free to ask any questions you may have....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I've had a 2005 28Extreme (not an FX) for three years now and couldn't be happier. It has a Merc600 in it and runs a comfortable 80+mph with several people, ice chests, and all my gear. It is a solid boat that gets on plane quickly and handles the Havasu chop without any issues. The cuddy cabin is very spacious and there is enough headroom for me to sit up with plenty of clearance (I'm 6'01").

When I purchased the boat I stumbled into a great deal because the last owner had it built with every option available at the time and was selling it because he upgraded to a F29. He babied the boat and it had just over a 100 hours on it when I picked it up.

Over the years I owned many other boats and rarely kept them over a year because I always wanted something better. Needless to say we are very happy with the 28Extreme since we have no plans on selling it anytime soon (that is unless I stumble into a great deal on a M29 or F29)....I attached a few pics of ours. Feel free to ask any questions you may have....
Can I have a ride?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
398 Posts

Such a nice boat Brian. You'll have to keep me posted when you're ready to sell that for your M29 :))THumbsUp

I'll keep an eye out for you next weekend. Guys weekend and we'll be on the Hallett.

·
Registered
13 Posts
fx28 with 625 ilmor

Here's a nice shot of Dave Menefee's midcabin cuddy FX28 that was taken at the DCB Regatta in 2009. At the time, it was powered by a 625 Ilmor.

She ran 79 MPH with a 26 pitch and 4 people on board. I found it very easy on fuel compared to the 525. Traded it for a F30 sportdeck with two 625's and some cash of course.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts