Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all cars being indentical, all engines built to the same specs, all have to run same tires, restricter plates, is it still a good race? Probably because its the Daytona 500 I'll watch it because I have nothing better to do .... but what has NASCAR done, if you try something innovative now you get fined and suspended:mad:

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
The motors make so much power and the cars are so much more aerodynamic now that they wouldnt even be driveable on the super speedways like TD and Daytona.

Seriously, they have outgrown a track like that where they are able to stretch their legs.

Without a restrictor plate, they would need wings and a prop to keep racing.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yes. Racing is racing.

You still have football and basketball if you don't like it. :)hand

·
V-Driven
61 Posts
The motors make so much power and the cars are so much more aerodynamic now that they wouldnt even be driveable on the super speedways like TD and Daytona.

Seriously, they have outgrown a track like that where they are able to stretch their legs.

Without a restrictor plate, they would need wings and a prop to keep racing.
Yep, infact earlier this winter Greg Biffle and team tested at Texas World Speedway and he hit 218 mph. Scary.

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
I have it on while doing stuff today. Nascar is definatly suffering. Teams merging, layoffs. The grandstands at cali will be empty next weekend.

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
With all cars being indentical, all engines built to the same specs, all have to run same tires, restricter plates, is it still a good race? Probably because its the Daytona 500 I'll watch it because I have nothing better to do .... but what has NASCAR done, if you try something innovative now you get fined and suspended:mad:
Not being argumentative just making a statement:
Doesn't that finally separate the drivers by talent? Some find it boring to try to compete with the giant teams of Hendrick, Gibbs, Evernham, Childress, Penske, etc. when their favorite driver is disadvantaged aerodynamically, technically and running less horsepower due to financial disadvantage.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
Let see , back in the day when a "stock" car was a stock car you could buy it off the showroom floor, with a few mods, go racing.
The cars had to be produced to at least 500 models as I recall to be legal.
Back in the day you had all kinds of U.S. manufactures that competed, all with "V8" powered cars you could buy (UNLIKE A TOYOTA CAMRY-WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN BUILT WITH A V8) and go race.
Then the technology took off in both engines and aerodynamics, then the beginning of super teams, then NASCAR started to see the huge fan base, then NASCAR started to play god with races (the infamous yellow flags-for what else buy the "mystery" debris), the die hard fans started to get pissed, and so you have it.
The best race we see of the 5 we attend is still Texas in later part of the year, Charlotte would be next, the night race in Phx and Vegas. Vegas has done a ton for the fans and is awesome to watch.
Daytona the race is good, but the amenity for the fans SUCKS at the speedway, its way outdated !!! spend some money NASCAR and update the facility !!!

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not being argumentative just making a statement:
Doesn't that finally separate the drivers by talent? Some find it boring to try to compete with the giant teams of Hendrick, Gibbs, Evernham, Childress, Penske, etc. when their favorite driver is disadvantaged aerodynamically, technically and running less horsepower due to financial disadvantage.
I think cutting the giant teams down from 4 and 5 cars to a limit of 2 cars
would make things more interesting, then you would see more of the underdogs and underfunded teams be more competitive. Your right that it
does come down to the drivers skills more now but I don't know if that makes
for more exciting racing, cars were running 20 mph faster 20 years ago at Daytona than today.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I'm interested to see how the "no testing" rule plays out. It will either help the smaller teams or hurt them. At least it has saved a bunch of $$$ for them all, like 1 million per test session.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Just listening to one of the announcers interviewing Keith Urban. The first thing he asks, "So you really like speed?". I kind of thought you weren't supposed to say that to somebody just out of rehab.
Enjoy the race.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I'm interested to see how the "no testing" rule plays out. It will either help the smaller teams or hurt them. At least it has saved a bunch of $$$ for them all, like 1 million per test session.
No testing?

What do you call the several teams that built Busch cars and ruined that feeder series?

Brian

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Just listening to one of the announcers interviewing Keith Urban. The first thing he asks, "So you really like speed?". I kind of thought you weren't supposed to say that to somebody just out of rehab.
Enjoy the race.
You heard him say "on the highway"

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
I have it on while doing stuff today. Nascar is definatly suffering. Teams merging, layoffs. The grandstands at cali will be empty next weekend.

You're from California, there are several members that aren't going to believe that you called it Cali. ;)

Anyhow, Nascar is so gimmicky now. Animated gophers and ducks and all the other crap is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I always look forward to this race. And when it is over always hate the results. Too many good teams get crashed needlessly in this race every year.

Congrats to Matt Kenseth, he earned it. (but should thank Jr)

What was wrong with Jr? Making too many blunders like, was that my pit box back there? LOL

Then taking the competition out.

And blaming the officials because he couldn't pit inside of his pit box.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I always look forward to this race. And when it is over always hate the results. Too many good teams get crashed needlessly in this race every year.

Congrats to Matt Kenseth, he earned it. (but should thank Jr)

What was wrong with Jr? Making too many blunders like, was that my pit box back there? LOL

Then taking the competition out.

And blaming the officials because he couldn't pit inside of his pit box.
Thats the problem with restricter plate racing, they all run in a pack the whole race and when one car gets sideways it takes out ten.

Congrats to Matt

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Thats the problem with restricter plate racing, they all run in a pack the whole race and when one car gets sideways it takes out ten.

Congrats to Matt
Yup, that's the good and bad of it right there.

Too bad Mark Martin's team made him pit, it cost him at least 10 positions. Just because Gordon had trouble with his tires, doesn't mean Mark did. But what do I know...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
No testing?

What do you call the several teams that built Busch cars and ruined that feeder series?

Brian
I agree, but it did bring in more fans. The big names are the ones that people pay to watch.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I agree, but it did bring in more fans. The big names are the ones that people pay to watch.
To a point, but it really sucks for the teams with 25% of the budget of a cup team and now those teams are racing for 10th place.

The Busch series was never meant to have pro drivers competing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts