Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greg, what are your thoughts on a wing between the sponsons on the Daytona or Socal tunnels?

Have you ever done a back to back test with one? Curious as to how much affect they really have on the nose at 130 MPH. Ive been e-mailing with Jeff a little bit about them and he likes the wing, was curious to hear your opinion.

Thanks.

Chris.

Risky Biz with a wing............

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would look better above the roof of the truck. Thats just my opinion though.:D
All Im gonna say is I cant wait to see you in a tunnell on a breezy day, they are a real treat to drive. I seriously catch myself moving/leaning forward trying to keep the nose down and I honestly think that helps.

If they really do make 2-300 lbs. of down force then Ill run 2 wings, i dont care how lame they look.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
All Im gonna say is I cant wait to see you in a tunnell on a breezy day, they are a real treat to drive. I seriously catch myself moving/leaning forward trying to keep the nose down and I honestly think that helps.

If they really do make 2-300 lbs. of down force then Ill run 2 wings, i dont care how lame they look.
I still think it would look better on the truck.:p Nothing wrong with a little down force on the chevy.:)hand

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Wing

When we designed the wing it was for Norm Grimes unblown jet.We felt the on a windy day the aio speed under the tunnel needed to be controled so we had Dan Olson and Jeff Bennett come up with the design.We installed it and we liked the results.I can remember a race a Waco Tx that no one could get down the track.At the time I was Driving the Gambler before Joe was driving it and we dropped the nozzle and lowered the wing and went right the track without any problem.Any time we build a light weight tunnel I always have it in the back of my mind that the tunnel wing is always there to use.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I thought I heard it was designed more for a saftey aspect, to help keep it from blowing over? Didn`t you blow one over using it in the early stages of devolpment?

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the time on the phone today Greg.

I installed a wing on my boat for the next race. My plan is to make a few runs without it then to bolt it on and see what it does for me. Jeff mentinoed 3 degrees down in relation to the keel is a good starting point and to never run anything less than that and to not to be afraid to crank it down..So that is where I will start with it.

Im still fighting a lift issue where the boat never stops lifting off the water until the intake becomes exposed and gets air. When I add weight under the bow the problem happens much later in the run or no problems at all but the half track times suffer from the added weight. I'm hoping the wing will tug the front of the boat down at the top end of the track and not hurt 1/8 mile times.

How did you guys fasten the wing to the fiberglass?

·
Banned
742 Posts
Why not run a foot controled wing and nozzle? Foot control with (spring loaded) cable to front mounted wing, (top of foot control movement) then the second (lower) half of the foot control travel, moves the (spring loaded) nozzle down too?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Cs19,

I know the guy running the red 098 Daytona. Want me to try to get some close up pics of the wing mounting? By the way, he uses it to keep the nose down also but he isn't running your speeds yet.....

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,091 Posts

Are you telling me it doesn't ;)

Sleeper CP :D

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts

could you not move the motor alil more forward to keep some more weight on the frt?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

I installed a wing on my boat for the next race. My plan is to make a few runs without it then to bolt it on and see what it does for me. Jeff mentinoed 3 degrees down in relation to the keel is a good starting point and to never run anything less than that and to not to be afraid to crank it down..So that is where I will start with it.

Im still fighting a lift issue where the boat never stops lifting off the water until the intake becomes exposed and gets air. When I add weight under the bow the problem happens much later in the run or no problems at all but the half track times suffer from the added weight. I'm hoping the wing will tug the front of the boat down at the top end of the track and not hurt 1/8 mile times.

Drywall screws or zip ties

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just duct tape it and try it out in different positions. When you know the sweet spot J-B Weld.

Come on Ultra 23 you know the drywall screw will rust and the zip ties get brittle with UV and heat. :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Just duct tape it and try it out in different positions. When you know the sweet spot J-B Weld.

Come on Ultra 23 you know the drywall screw will rust and the zip ties get brittle with UV and heat. :)
All good points. I would ask unblownfool how to do do it.

·
Registered
880 Posts

I mounted the one on my Daytona with nutserts. Had it on there for probably 10 years never came loose.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts