Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Painter Guy
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get a typical call, along the lines of: "I'm in town for the weekend and will be boating friday and saturday, can you paint my AZ's sunday?" In a good economy, I would suggest the customer leave me their storage unit key or garage door opener and I'd schedule it in during the week, so I can enjoy a day off boating or doing whatever I choose on my day off. But, since the boat biz is still in the crapper, I said, no problem, I'll be there at 9:00 am, sunday, making no plans for the day.

I pack up the van, drive to their place, arrive on time and am welcomed by the guy with an odd look on his face. He says: "sorry, dude, my wife wants to take the boat out today". No call, no advance warning...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
So I get a typical call, along the lines of: "I'm in town for the weekend and will be boating friday and saturday, can you paint my AZ's sunday?" In a good economy, I would suggest the customer leave me their storage unit key or garage door opener and I'd schedule it in during the week, so I can enjoy a day off boating or doing whatever I choose on my day off. But, since the boat biz is still in the crapper, I said, no problem, I'll be there at 9:00 am, sunday, making no plans for the day.

I pack up the van, drive to their place, arrive on time and am welcomed by the guy with an odd look on his face. He says: "sorry, dude, my wife wants to take the boat out today". No call, no advance warning...

I think this line tells you about the true identaty of this pussy.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Bill him for a service call. It's what I do. People that punch a clock, work 9 to 5 typically have no concept of operating expense or that time is money. Nor do they seen to care.

You call me out to do work, you're paying me for my time regardless and I make that VERY clear over the phone. This is especially so for any kind of mobile business. When the wheels hit the pavement, time and expense are in full affect.

·
Painter Guy
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

I just got a call. They're off the lake and I will be heading over to do the job. Better late than never, right? Re: trip charges...I couldn't conceive of anyone ever even considering paying for wasting my time...at least in this biz.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Took a look at your website; Very cool!!!
Yes it is! I'd at least charge them for your time. Looks like you are very talented. What a prick! If it had been me, I'd of told him to **** off! ;)

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Bill him for a service call. It's what I do. People that punch a clock, work 9 to 5 typically have no concept of operating expense or that time is money. Nor do they seem to care.
I punch a clock 1500-2300 and time is everything. Time is money, We have to be wheels up at a specific time and wheels down even quicker. We fly live tissues and all sorts of stuff for transplantation.

If we take off Were getting paid, If we call in a pilot, were getting paid. It's called a Cancellation fee and some times they can get up into the thousands of dollars range.

But what do I know? I punch a clock! I don't even know what time it is now!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
But what do I know? I punch a clock! I don't even know what time it is now!
So you're the exception. Whoopdee frikkin doo.:)sphss

I'm talking about boneheaded people that care nothing about others' time but they make damn sure they don't get screwed out of their time on their paycheck.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
I agree, the guy should've calle dyou anc cancelled.

On the other hand, now many boat places screw us over when they say our boats are going to be finished on X day, and don't.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
As a business owner, this is a no win situation. You bad mouth a customer, it gets you no where. A customer bad mouths a business and it could really cost you. Best to just chalk it up to the cost of doing business and move on.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
As a business owner, this is a no win situation. You bad mouth a customer, it gets you no where. A customer bad mouths a business and it could really cost you. Best to just chalk it up to the cost of doing business and move on.
No shit, all the "get tough" comments are not from the self employed!!

Move on, ...........was his wife hot??

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
It's human nature.
I just ran a charter out of Oxnard with what was supposed to be 38 people, two months advance notice, everyone received a fax or e-mail with itinerary, map and written directions. The top line of the itinerary says BOAT LEAVES AT 5:00 AM PROMPTLY.

Two just no showed with no phone call.

Four were on the freeway at 5:00 am and said they thought 5:00am meant 5:30 to 6:00 because that's what their friend told them. Their friend wasn't there when we were leaving the dock at 5:40.:)sphss:)sphss

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.