Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NY Governor Andrew Cuomo is doing the very same thing as has been done in other states to close the huge gap between income and expense in his State's budget by proposing a huge reduction in education spending. How's this going to look to the liberals who have been blaming the Republican Governors for doing the very same thing where the unions will have to make greater concessions than they have been willing to do? This will be a global situation sooner than later as revenues have fallen off due to huge unemployment and the economic recession and we're nowhere near hearing the end of this situation.

Will we see our resident libs stand behind "their democrat" or "the union" this time?
New York governor hits school districts, defends education cut | Reuters

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
NY Governor Andrew Cuomo is doing the very same thing as has been done in other states to close the huge gap between income and expense in his State's budget by proposing a huge reduction in education spending. How's this going to look to the liberals who have been blaming the Republican Governors for doing the very same thing where the unions will have to make greater concessions than they have been willing to do? This will be a global situation sooner than later as revenues have fallen off due to huge unemployment and the economic recession and we're nowhere near hearing the end of this situation.

Will we see our resident libs stand behind "their democrat" or "the union" this time?
New York governor hits school districts, defends education cut | Reuters

I believe cutting back all across the board is necessary. Finding and eliminating waste and lame ass programs of both conservative and liberal sacred cows is needed now more than ever. However, The obscene salaries some government bosses make is no worse than the obscene salaries private sector CEOs make. Something needs to happen. None of these assholes are worth 1/2 of what they make!!! The American Greed Party is soon to be over. Many more businesses will fail and many more un-needed government programs need to cease. The sooner we hit rock bottom, the sooner we can start climbing upwards again. Massive economic, social, and cultural fail is in the works worldwide.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
It's time that we, as a people, resolve our fiscal issues, regardless of "party", race, religion, heritage, etc. The middle class continues to carry the burden and it's high-time that they get true representation from those that they elected into office.

Cutting education is NOT the answer. We are way too low on the list when compared to other countries. Making education accountable, IS. Our future generations deserve better, IMO...:)hand

Our elected representatives need to quick playing party politics and get down to the business of running our cities, states, and country.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It's time that we, as a people, resolve our fiscal issues, regardless of "party", race, religion, heritage, etc. The middle class continues to carry the burden and it's high-time that they get true representation from those that they elected into office.

Cutting education is NOT the answer. We are way too low on the list when compared to other countries. Making education accountable, IS. Our future generations deserve better, IMO...:)hand

Our elected representatives need to quick playing party politics and get down to the business of running our cities, states, and country.
Need to fire under preforming teachers for a start!

·
Banned
6,729 Posts
I agree with you that the middle class carries the burden, and I also think they have the most to lose. The thing is, how many times have the conservatives posted here about how the burden is unfairly placed on the rich. There is a huge difference in viewpoints on this topic, and I doubt if it will ever be roconciled enough to allow real change.

Cutting education will just lead to America getting further behind the rest of the world. In the 50's through 80's, one of the reasons that America was more advanced than the rest of the world was we had a populace that had more education. Sadly, we don't hold this advantage over the rest of the world anymore.

I agree that this needs to happen, but I doubt it will.

·
In pace requiescat
113 Posts
cutting education really means

defunding the obese teacher's salaries, benefits and pensions. Your kid's education will only benefit from this cut. It would mean that FINALLY the schools would actually see some of the money in their budgets.

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Without major changes in our education systems across this country, we will not improve education, even by throwing more money at them. They are, in too many cases very top heavy and over administered and the union involvement completely defeats each district's ability to compensate better teachers for being better and saying good-by to those just filling space for a paycheck.
Governor Cuomo may be a democrat but even he's smart enough to see this system is broken and needs fixing.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Just an observation, but public schools have become far too many things over and above the prime reason they are in place: an education. I love sports and particpated all though school on into college. But the facilities and expense is enormous. I've seen the figures and as much as many are led to believe, Football and basketball don't pay the bills and are far from selfsustaining.

The buildings and facilites at many schools which include enormous athletic facilites do little more than raise costs. Bus fleets, maintenance and associated costs are another high dollar outlay. Maybe it's time school districts get creative and sublet bus transportaion out to private bidders. Let parents pay direct and those who are unable will be subsidized by the taxpayer who will see some relief in this over supporting the cost of the whole fleet.

School meals and trying to "please" rather than provide nutricious food at lower costs needs to be implemented. Again maybe it's time to contract out food service like many private schools do.

The bottom line to me is, I see many private schools able to make a workable budget and survive so it can be done. Public schools are facing what state and federal governments are dealing with, government ineptitude. It's time to run the school systems like a business and force adminstrators to find ways to make it work and maintian the number one goal, a good education for all students. Politics need to be removed from the process.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
defunding the obese teacher's salaries, benefits and pensions. Your kid's education will only benefit from this cut. It would mean that FINALLY the schools would actually see some of the money in their budgets.
Bingo! We spend more money per child in education than any other country in the world. We still have lower test scores and graduation rates than many. Gov and unions have made our schools as wasteful and inefective as most gov agencies. :)sphss

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Just an observation, but public schools have become far too many things over and above the prime reason they are in place: an education. I love sports and particpated all though school on into college. But the facilities and expense is enormous. I've seen the figures and as much as many are led to believe, Football and basketball don't pay the bills and are far from selfsustaining.

The buildings and facilites at many schools which include enormous athletic facilites do little more than raise costs. Bus fleets, maintenance and associated costs are another high dollar outlay. Maybe it's time school districts get creative and sublet bus transportaion out to private bidders. Let parents pay direct and those who are unable will be subsidized by the taxpayer who will see some relief in this over supporting the cost of the whole fleet.

School meals and trying to "please" rather than provide nutricious food at lower costs needs to be implemented. Again maybe it's time to contract out food service like many private schools do.

The bottom line to me is, I see many private schools able to make a workable budget and survive so it can be done. Public schools are facing what state and federal governments are dealing with, government ineptitude. It's time to run the school systems like a business and force adminstrators to find ways to make it work and maintian the number one goal, a good education for all students. Politics need to be removed from the process.
BINGO!!! Now why is that such a hard concept for the libbies to grasp and accept???

·
Banned
6,729 Posts
Bingo! We spend more money per child in education than any other country in the world. We still have lower test scores and graduation rates than many. Gov and unions have made our schools as wasteful and inefective as most gov agencies. :)sphss
I'm glad you brought this up. It is fact we spend more money per child for education than the rest of the world and something is definately wrong with the system. You choose to blame the government and unions. In my opinion the main reason our education system is subpar is that many Americans see the public school system as a babysitter for their children and do not take an active role in their children's education. A lot of this comes from the idea that children should be allowed to have a fun, enjoyable childhood. Many children are not forced by their parents to take their studies seriously, and IMO, I think it is because a lot of parents don't want to put in the time and effort necessary to make their children excel in school.
While there is some waste in the public school bureacracy, I think the biggest waste of money is spent on special needs children. Whether English is not their first language, they are handicapped, or retarded, the method used to acomidate these children needs to be reevaluated. Instead of throwing money away giving an education to children that will never benefit from it, maybe we as a society need to accept the fact that not all children should be given an opportunity for an education.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Don't blame the teachers. The big elephant in the school room everyone is ignoring is the degradation of the American youth populace. Culturally and demographically they are in the shitter in many cities.. Ever drive by an American inner city high school and observe "students"? Not only do they look stupid, they are stupid. Very many go from never finishing high school, then to knocking up 'Baby Mama" then on to prison. Some High schools should develop a pre-prison training curriculum. Tax payers will have to cover these losers from cradle to grave. It's over folks. We lost !

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Don't blame the teachers. The big elephant in the school room everyone is ignoring is the degradation of the American youth populace. Culturally and demographically they are in the shitter in many cities.. Ever drive by an American inner city high school and observe "students"? Not only do they look stupid, they are stupid. Very many go from never finishing high school, then to knocking up 'Baby Mama" then on to prison. Some High schools should develop a pre-prison training curriculum. Tax payers will have to cover these losers from cradle to grave. It's over folks. We lost !
Good thing your left leaning so you can get away with racist remarks like that... :)hand

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Our inner-city District is seriously considering more "working trade" classroom studies than "college prep". They can pretty much identify those students that will never graduate HS before they even reach middle school....so sad to see.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Parents....

In my generation most households/homes were in the single "earner" category, meaning the mother stayed home and raised the children while the father was the breadwinner.... As our economy changed, prices for everything exceeded the wage earner's increases.... So, both parents must now work in order to afford the American dream.... That said, it is also the mind set, or lack of, in today's students that make any education a lot tougher. Dumbing down the smarter students in order for the "not so smart" students to keep up makes the entire class suffer.... Gangs in school age children, students that refuse to stand during the daily "Pledge of Allegiance", attendance records that somehow go unreported because of "per student" funding, and of course the bi lingual problems of today..... IMO, a lot of the "lesser qualified" teachers are not under qualified, they have just given up due to disruptions and behavior problems in the classroom.... What ever happened to the Vice Principle's wooden paddle???......... What has happened to "shop" classes???
Ray

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Our inner-city District is seriously considering more "working trade" classroom studies than "college prep". They can pretty much identify those students that will never graduate HS before they even reach middle school....so sad to see.
Yes the libbies started cutting all the trade classes like auto repair, machining, welding, electronics, etc from the schools years ago. They took away a way for those who would not go to college a chance to make a decent living. I'll never forget when they closed the welding shop at Tucson High because they said it cost to much for welders and supplies. Then a year later they bought new welders to start the, and get this, "Bicycle Art Sculpture Class". Yeah I'm sure they are going to flood the work force with bicycle art sculpters.:)sphss Lord be it if cuts need to be made to education they start at the administration level. Nope liberal thinking demands that we take away from the students before the teachers and administrators.:)sphss

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up. It is fact we spend more money per child for education than the rest of the world and something is definately wrong with the system. You choose to blame the government and unions. In my opinion the main reason our education system is subpar is that many Americans see the public school system as a babysitter for their children and do not take an active role in their children's education. A lot of this comes from the idea that children should be allowed to have a fun, enjoyable childhood. Many children are not forced by their parents to take their studies seriously, and IMO, I think it is because a lot of parents don't want to put in the time and effort necessary to make their children excel in school.
While there is some waste in the public school bureacracy, I think the biggest waste of money is spent on special needs children. Whether English is not their first language, they are handicapped, or retarded, the method used to acomidate these children needs to be reevaluated. Instead of throwing money away giving an education to children that will never benefit from it, maybe we as a society need to accept the fact that not all children should be given an opportunity for an education.
It is true that parents are part of the problem. But our system of welfare does very little to make people be responsible for themselves. I do believe if children of the high school age didn't have a welfare safety net thier parents taught them to use they would be more inclined to do something for themselves.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Still can not understand, why shop classes were done away with. It was a great way for kids to start learning a trade and maybe make a living with further education. Maybe even start there own business. Plus most shop teachers, I remember, were the only ones I enjoyed. What happened?

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Who started the "dumbing down" of the schools? You know, they made the dumber students able to pass to the next grade instead of holding them back. You know, we can't offend any one by insinuating that they aren't as smart as the rest of the students?

When they did that and dropped the paddle is where we went wrong. Who is responsible for that? The touchy feel good people? :)hand

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Simple, make the people in the high crime areas PAY more for Police, Schools and Social services ,Christ there are high schools with nurseries for the students babies, they are the problem here,Those Schools are producing FFA's mostly (Future Felons of America) and unwed mothers ,Enough of this Pandering and Coddling ,Time to stand up and say YOU pay for this Mess you're making.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts