Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
About 500' AGL
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother in law has me messing with his boat. I switch on the key which activates the electric fuel pump and I notice fuel is just pouring out of the J-Tube on the Primary side. I don't know shit about carbs...somebody please tell me why it's doing this and how to fix it. It's a Demon Marine Vacuum Secondary deal. Thanks

·
Village Idiot
3,481 Posts
The "needle and seat" valve is stuck on that side. That or the float on that side sank (have seen that on the Holley carbs, but don't think the Demon floats have that issue). My favorite quote of all time I heard from a racer when I was having a carb problem was "what kind of carb do you have. If it is a Holley and it worked then take it off the engine, drop it on the ground, then put it back on the engine and it will work just fine. If it is an Edelbrock then take it off the engine, drop it in the trash and get a Holley". My Demons have been very dependable for me. I did have the "needle and seat" stick before, but all I did was tap on the needle and seat area with the back of a screw driver and it fixed it. (I know, it is hokey, but it got me going).

Paul

·
About 500' AGL
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok...I looked in the sight glasses. The Primary bowl is full of fuel and the secondary bowl fuel level is at the bottom of the glass. I'll try smackin it a couple times and see what happens. I'm assuming the float rises with the fuel level and pushes the needle closed on the seat???

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Ok...I looked in the sight glasses. The Primary bowl is full of fuel and the secondary bowl fuel level is at the bottom of the glass. I'll try smackin it a couple times and see what happens. I'm assuming the float rises with the fuel level and pushes the needle closed on the seat???
You assume correctly. :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
most likely its trash. take the needle/seat out and check it. a speck is all it takes. not a big deal if you don`t gas foul the plugs.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
On older Holley's I have seen the float spring wear out to the point where the adjustments got very touchy & the float would easily overflow. Just something to look at.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm having carb problems of my own and this thread has been helpful. Wish me luck boys

TollyWally

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Mudpumper, Make sure to adjust the floats while running. This will asure proper level and recheck the rear level too! WT:)devil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts