Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
LHC Architect
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so according to this study by the CVB that we paid $10k for:)st we only had 50 boats at DS09. (study in red at the bottom)
The actual numbers are
173 reqistured and attending for the poker run
76 of which displayed at the Street Party
47 of which ran the shoot out
funny not one mention of the spectator count either, glad the cops and I did a head count at the street party that was 14k people.
this part just makes me:))eek:)):)eh:)
“It is a really good snapshot,” she said. “That is why the research is so critical. It’s pretty significant.”

HEY..CVB maybe you should actually do some research befor claiming you did:)hammers because your numbers are about $3.1m short;)

yup looks like only 50 boats to me:)sphss

CVB survey: Desert Storm reels in $855K
Results reveal big impact for Havasu’s economy

By Tony Waggoner
Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:32 PM MST

Lake Havasu City continues to impress its visitors with special events like Desert Storm. The city’s Convention & Visitors Bureau surveyed this year’s four-day boating event and party.

Results of the survey proved the “storm” had a substantial economic impact for the city, Char Beltran, president of the CVB said. Between participants and attendees the event brought in more than $855,550. Beltran said the tax dollar percentage of that amount would be somewhere in the $40,000 range.

Only visitors from outside Lake Havasu City were surveyed.

The number of participating boats was down from last year, but Beltran said it’s important to recognize the amount of money made with fewer boaters. Participants made up for more than $570,280 of the overall revenue generated, with fewer than 50 boats entered.

While Beltran said she really didn’t know what to expect from the event, she was impressed with the overall impact, considering the economy.

“It was an extremely strong showing,” Beltran said. “I was very pleasantly surprised.”

Many of the event attendees were local. In fact, Beltran said about 75 percent were from Lake Havasu City. She said this means the $285,271 came from only about 25 percent of attendees.

And fuel wasn’t the only thing boater participants and attendees used their money for. The survey revealed 40 percent of participants stayed in hotel lodging within the city, while 22 percent of attendees did the same.

A majority of attendees and participants stayed a day longer than the four-day event.

Desert Storm continued to reach across state lines. Almost 80 percent of attendees to this year’s event were from out-of-state, while nearly 90 percent of participants reported they were not from Arizona.

A majority of out-of-state attendees had an average spending of around $121 a day. Twenty-eight percent reported spending an average of more than $200 a day, though.

Boating participants spending per day was considerably higher. The typical boater spent approximately $713 per day, according to the survey. Many boating participants came with sponsors. The average daily spending for sponsor parties was around $558.

Beltran said it is best for the CVB not to try and compare events like Desert Storm and Winter Blast, noting the two events are so different in size and shape it would be like apples to oranges.

One hundred percent of the people surveyed said they would consider returning next year for Desert Storm. Beltran said this might be the most impressive thing about the survey and give credence to why the survey was conducted.

“It is a really good snapshot,” she said. “That is why the research is so critical. It’s pretty significant.”

The CVB has also just launched a new Web site at www.golakehavasu.com. Beltran said the new Web site allows the CVB administrative capabilities it did not have prior to the upgrade and really focuses on contacting people from other states and statistically measuring the responses of those who are contacted.

“We needed a more comprehensive statistic program,” Beltran said.

Design for the Web site was done by local Web designer Diana Moore and took about 10 weeks to get up and running.

Beltran says the CVB is looking forward to working with the site’s new capabilities.

“We’ve got a lot of things we want to do with it,” she said. “We are definitely pretty excited.”

yea you all know me to well.....this didn't go unanswered:D

here is a clip
First of all I would like to give you the real number of boats registered and attending DS09.
the actual number is 173 registered and attending for DS09 of which we parked 76 boats on McCulloch down 12 boats from last year, yet we used every inch of space this year and last year we had about 400ft to spare, so the show actually got larger with fewer boats, mostly because of the shear size of each boat attending increased, that and we added 13 food vendors this year (most of which sold out of food)
so here is the CVB numbers

The number of participating boats was down from last year, but Beltran said it’s important to recognize the amount of money made with fewer boaters. Participants made up for more than $570,280 of the overall revenue generated, with fewer than 50 boats entered.

so how can the above statement be true, we have the registrations, list and map to prove otherwise all of which is verifiable with participant phone numbers and e-mail addresses

now lets do some real math as defined by the PRM447 tourism study for Lake Havasu, here is the link to the study
http://www.prm.nau.edu/prm447/lake_havasu_study.htm
it states that the average visitor to Lake Havasu spends $474 each 2 day visit to Lake Havasu or $237 per visitor day (this is in 2001 dollars but it will suffice)
now lets look at Desert Storm attendance, it begins Thursday night and Desert Storm runs through Sunday, with most visitors departing Sunday Morning, now the Participants are a whole other story 90% of them are here for the whole week prior, how do I know this I meet with each and every single one of them before the Street Party, to give them their map and parking orders., so with 173 registered boats and crews that average 6 people per boat, that's 1038 people x 90% = 934 people x 7 days = 6538 visitor days x $237 = $1.55m and that's just 90% of the participants per the PRM447 study, now lets talk about the 14k spectators that were on McCulloch Thursday night. What percentage are locals and what are visitors, for that you need a history of events on McCulloch, lucky for us I put on some of the car shows on McCulloch as well. so a real good indicator of local to visitor can be determined by the turn out for the "Big Boys Toy Show" which is basically the same thing (a Marine and Off-road recreational vehicle show) as Desert Storm. which on average draws 2-3k people... so I am going to be real conservative here and say that only 25% of the 14k were visitors and the rest locals, so 3500 (this number is way low but I am using it to prove how far off the CVB study is. The best way to get close to the real number, is to look at the aerial photos of Desert Storm taken on Saturday, count the boats and multiply by 4 people for visitors and count the crowd at rotary park, body beach and contact point to find the local count.

so lets take my VERY conservative visitor estimate
3500 visitors x 3days = 10500 visitor days x $237 = $2.48m
so the total income to the economy per PRM447 would be $1.55m + $2.48m = $4.03m

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
so lets take my VERY conservative visitor estimate
3500 visitors x 3days = 10500 visitor days x $237 = $2.48m
so the total income to the economy per PRM447 would be $1.55m + $2.48m = $4.03
It was a $3,300 week for me....

...plus $3,000 in boat repairs.

:)sphss

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
........Many of the event attendees were local. In fact, Beltran said about 75 percent were from Lake Havasu City. She said this means the $285,271 came from only about 25 percent of attendees.
And fuel wasn’t the only thing boater participants and attendees used their money for. The survey revealed 40 percent of participants stayed in hotel lodging within the city, while 22 percent of attendees did the same.

A majority of attendees and participants stayed a day longer than the four-day event.

Desert Storm continued to reach across state lines. Almost 80 percent of attendees to this year’s event were from out-of-state, while nearly 90 percent of participants reported they were not from Arizona.
Did I miss something?

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Remember Winter Blast,
Winter Blast attendees and participants collectively spent $1,719,717 while in town for the event.
So a small mostly local event for a few hours for 3 nights brought in more than double what D.S. did in 4 days with people from all over country. I also find it a bit strange that many if not most hotels were booked months in advance yet only 40% of participants and only 22% of spectators stayed in them. Where did the other 60% and 78% stay.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Thanks for staying on top of this!! Someone needs to be more accurate with this stuff!!! The city will figure out a way to screw this up and cancel it!!! BIGGEST event in this town!!!! HELLO!!!!!!

·
LHC Architect
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember Winter Blast,
Winter Blast attendees and participants collectively spent $1,719,717 while in town for the event.
So a small mostly local event for a few hours for 3 nights brought in more than double what D.S. did in 4 days with people from all over country. I also find it a bit strange that many if not most hotels were booked months in advance yet only 40% of participants and only 22% of spectators stayed in them. Where did the other 60% and 78% stay.
yes I know...and you can bet your bottom dollar the study is slanted to favor SOMEONES (CVB cough) special interest in Winterblast. typical Havasu backdoor politcal crap.:)st

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
Did I miss something?
I read the same thing too, then re-read it again. I think it was meant to say attendees(observers) were mostly locals....Participants(Racers) were mostly not.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Karl I agree with your math, and to simplify things I think you probably are conservative in your estimates. Just my .02. I'll bet the fuel bill alone ran half a million dollars.

Keith Sayre
Nordic Boats

·
LHC Architect
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If somehow they figure a way to cancel this event for next year the CVB needs to be delt with...
they have no say as to go/no go of the event, but their published findings can easily affect future sponsorship dollars.
DS is not cheap to put on, so every sponsorship dollar counts;)

·
LHC Architect
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Karl I agree with your math, and to simplify things I think you probably are conservative in your estimates. Just my .02. I'll bet the fuel bill alone ran half a million dollars.

Keith Sayre
Nordic Boats
yup I think so as well. take a good look at the aerial shot, thats about 2k boats in the water watching the shoot out.
so
2k x 4 people avg per boat = 8k x 3 visitor days = 24k x $237 = $5.69m
so $1.55m + $5.69m = $7.24m would be my high side estimate

either way the CVB study is off by absolutely no less than $3m:)sphss

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
they have no say as to go/no go of the event, but their published findings can easily affect future sponsorship dollars.
DS is not cheap to put on, so every sponsorship dollar counts;)
Not to mention the city's own financail input into this event which is next to nothing already. City's now in a position to just cancell DS and have a Fireworks show and double their income. Something's really wrong here.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That is the worst written article I have ever read. LOL

That paper should be lining the bottom of your canary cage

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
Thanks Karl for staying on top of this.....I will never understand the backdoor, political suicide, anti-business, bullshit politics that seems to govern Havasu.....:|err:)sphss

All you had to do was be on the lake for one of the days and be able to do kindergarten math and you would come up with more than $855k.....:)sphss

·
Spot On Dee El...
688 Posts
I see 50 boats... :|err

Pics are deceiving because there are many raft-ups that look like single boats. I'll can get many more frame grabs from the video like the one above... lol Maybe even a video...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts