Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Which one, they have shows a couple crash's now. One was a capsal hydro that crashed twice. Another was a flatty that hit the shore. They said the flatty's throttle got stuck and because the guy riged the safty switch, the motor wouldnt shut down. Weird because you think he could have killed the ignition or fuel.... he bailed and the boat flew over 100 yards!

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
Which one, they have shows a couple crash's now. One was a capsal hydro that crashed twice. Another was a flatty that hit the shore. They said the flatty's throttle got stuck and because the guy riged the safty switch, the motor wouldnt shut down. Weird because you think he could have killed the ignition or fuel.... he bailed and the boat flew over 100 yards!
You're referring to this gentleman lol...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right jerry i talked to ryan harper a friend of gregs he mentioned to me a long time ago about a friend of his whos throttle got stuck and i called him up after the show to ask if this was gregs boat.

all i can say that was some quick thinking on gregs part it looks like he tried to figure out prob then went to plan b and bailed out.and just in time

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
I never watch TV but i was watching that show tonight. Is that the guy that got banned from NJBA for having a phoney kill switch?

On the next show they had the one where the hydro hit the power lines at F'bird.

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
You're right jerry i talked to ryan harper a friend of gregs he mentioned to me a long time ago about a friend of his whos throttle got stuck and i called him up after the show to ask if this was gregs boat.

all i can say that was some quick thinking on gregs part it looks like he tried to figure out prob then went to plan b and bailed out.and just in time

The show said investigation showed that he had a rigged kill switch. You can see he's messin with somthing before he bails out. again though, why not kill the ignition or fuel!?

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Jerry... Tell us the deal on the rigged kill switch... I for the life of me can't figure out why someone whould do that, but there must of been some sort of reason...:)

Steve

·
Distinguished Member
5,783 Posts
I never watch TV but i was watching that show tonight. Is that the guy that got banned from NJBA for having a phoney kill switch?

On the next show they had the one where the hydro hit the power lines at F'bird.
The hydro driver was Sonny Moon... The BS thing about that was he was OK, but some lady was driving around the lake and looking at the wreckage. She wasn't watching where she was going and hit his motor that was sitting on the side of the access road. She came back to the pits wanting him to pay for the damage since he left his motor in the road!!! He returned to racing with a boat call "The Highline Express"....
True story....

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
does anyone know the name of the flat that crashed?

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
The show said investigation showed that he had a rigged kill switch. You can see he's messin with somthing before he bails out. again though, why not kill the ignition or fuel!?
His kill switch was his ignition:)bulb It wasnt an injected boat with a fuel shut off, it was carbureted so there was no way to kill the fuel:)bulb

Jerry... Tell us the deal on the rigged kill switch... I for the life of me can't figure out why someone whould do that, but there must of been some sort of reason...:)

Steve
You've never raced and that's why you cant "for the life of you" figure out why someone would do that. The whole "rigging" of the kill switch was to get through tech inspection. They sent him back to the pits after it failed tech so he rigged it with tape and zip ties (I think). His throttle stuck open. We have all at some point done something to skirt through tech to make it on to the rope. It was unfortunate timing. (Kinda like not putting on your nomex fire suit and going out to race a heat.) You would never expect your fuel tank to split open and catch fire.:)bulb Greg is one of the coolest cats you'll ever meet and this ordeal is always what he will be remembered for which sucks. People dont remember that he was a great racer with his Lackin Traction boats. The whole stuck throttle thing is why we are so adamant about not making burn out runs aimed right at the shore or a crowd of people or boats.

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
does anyone know the name of the flat that crashed?
The boat that crashed was originally the 911 boat "Dialed In" owned by Don London. Then Greg bought it and I think carried the name "Lackin Traction." It was a Hondo.

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
His kill switch was his ignition:)bulb It wasnt an injected boat with a fuel shut off, it was carbureted so there was no way to kill the fuel:)bulb

You've never raced and that's why you cant "for the life of you" figure out why someone would do that. The whole "rigging" of the kill switch was to get through tech inspection. They sent him back to the pits after it failed tech so he rigged it with tape and zip ties (I think). His throttle stuck open. We have all at some point done something to skirt through tech to make it on to the rope. It was unfortunate timing. (Kinda like not putting on your nomex fire suit and going out to race a heat.) You would never expect your fuel tank to split open and catch fire.:)bulb Greg is one of the coolest cats you'll ever meet and this ordeal is always what he will be remembered for which sucks. People dont remember that he was a great racer with his Lackin Traction boats. The whole stuck throttle thing is why we are so adamant about not making burn out runs aimed right at the shore or a crowd of people or boats.

Ahhh yes... kinda like forgetting to rub down them chicken legs with daddy's home made bbq sauce before tossing them into the open flame!:)grn

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
No I have been layed up in bed since monday night... so shopping is not 1st on my list. By the way what the hell are you doing dragging my daughters into this world??? Sick bastard!:)coffee
The poor little one is running around in plumbers wear! Get a job a stop spending on that red heap of crap you call a boat.

·
Precision Craft Marine
1,563 Posts
Rigged kill switch

I was there when it happened. Tony is correct, his kill was also his ignition. Because the plasitc cap on the kill switch would not stay in place, he taped it on, but much too well. When he needed it to come off it would'nt. Joe Shelfo Sr.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts