Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never seen a dial like this and assume it has something to to with advance but my 3 year old turned it all the way out when I wasn't looking and now I am not sure where to set it.

Also are these Delco distributors or a specific marine unit cause I wanna buy a pertronix conversion but not sure what this distributor is, cant find my camera but will put up a pic when i can,thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow 130 views and nobody can tell me exactly what the dial is? I know pics would help but my camera is MIA (4 kids) so till we find it all I can do is describe it. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Does it look like the dial on my dizzy? :)hand

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
wow 130 views and nobody can tell me exactly what the dial is? I know pics would help but my camera is MIA (4 kids) so till we find it all I can do is describe it. :thumb:
Without a photo , or numbers, or some sort of description of what it is you are working on, to see what the hell it is your talking about... yeah, you're gonna get 130 views and no answer to what this dial over here next to this thing on this other deal up under the thingy that is got stuff on it... is for.

If you can't post pics up, can't come up with any numbers or what have you off the distributor... and you want to correctly reset your dial thingy that may perhaps be an advance screw... put a timing light on it and adjust it until you can see what it does and get it where you want it.

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
Without a photo , or numbers, or some sort of description of what it is you are working on, to see what the hell it is your talking about... yeah, you're gonna get 130 views and no answer to what this dial over here next to this thing on this other deal up under the thingy that is got stuff on it... is for.

If you can't post pics up, can't come up with any numbers or what have you off the distributor... and you want to correctly reset your dial thingy that may perhaps be an advance screw... put a timing light on it and adjust it until you can see what it does and get it where you want it.
I've never seen anything like he is describing. I was one of those 130.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I doubt you have this new distributor, but is it a timing adjustment dial similar to this??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dammit, I cant find that camera for shit :bangmyhead: It does adjust the timing I have never seen anything like it but no matter its coming out for a new MSD unit and box, was gonna make it work cause the boat is all original down to the vintage Hardin marine driveline cover.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
There were some older distributors that had a slide/lift window to where you went in with an allen wrench to adjust the points dwell. Adjusting dwell moved timing but, adjusting timing (turning the dizzy) will not change the points dwell. Made point adjustment easy but still needed a dwell meter. Nothing wrong with a healthy points distributor...they make reliable spark just like the fancy $$$ boxes.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Dammit, I cant find that camera for shit :bangmyhead: It does adjust the timing I have never seen anything like it but no matter its coming out for a new MSD unit and box, was gonna make it work cause the boat is all original down to the vintage Hardin marine driveline cover.
Try to post a picture. Sounds unique. Might be valuable to someone building an old school ride.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No camera on a cell phone???

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
Set it to 375* for 45 minutes... uncover... let brown for an additional 15 mins and should be ready to go.

To be honest, I have never seen an oven knob on a dist before... the ones I have seen on old british and jap car stuff were typically knurled little knobs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Its not something home made, it is designed into the distributor and is original if you turn the knob the it turns the whole points/condenser assembly so it changes the timing by the knob,I was just wondering if anybody could tell me more about it. The boat is a 77 Hawaiian and it is all factory original and everything is Hardin Marine including front and rear motor plates,valve covers,driveline cover and more so i thought this might have been one of their concoctions

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Strange... Must somehow allow the engine to run without a dizzy hold down or intake bolts lol.
lmao,yea that pic was before the restoration,I was actually snapping pics so it all went back together the same but all is pretty now :happy:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This isn't some mystery piece. Its just a deal they sold that replaces the vacuum canister. No rocket science here. $2.00 item that was sold in the back of Hot Rod mags years ago. They had one that used a cable and allowed you to adjust it from inside the car as well, for a "few dollars more"

Performance Distributors has the same shit on their HEIs.. Nothing new under the sun
now thats the answer I was looking for ,thanks :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts