Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to take a moment to say that the boating community has lost a major assest. Dick Vale passed away last evening from his long battle with cancer. Dick was not only a very talented painter he was more importantly a very close friend to many. I mean't Dick some 30yrs ago via phone and it stayed that way until my brother & I drove down to his shop to have lunch a couple of years ago. I was greeted with a hug and a bunch of ??????. I truely respected Dick and his work. We stayed in close contact for 30 plus years with not so much as any jealousy or cross words which can happen when you do the same line of work. I talked to Dick right before I left for Needles and Dick couldn't stress enough to be carefull and to have a great time with my wife Janice and all my close friends. I'd like to think we lived up to his request. Not once did Dick complain during his battle. He was always up beat and seemed more concerened with how I was doing. Whenever I would switch the topic back to him he'd try and change it. I will truley miss my ol' buddy. His practical jokes, his phone calls and our BS conversations about anything and everything. Dick placed his family & friends above himself to the end and I will always remember that. Dick you were a true talent and I love the friendship we had & I along with all your many friends will miss you....God Speed my friend.....

·
Registered
19,801 Posts
Very Sorry to hear,our prayers go out to his family and friends..

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Can't help thinking that God has a K-boat that needed a new shine.
Rest in Peace Painter-man.
Carl

·
Can't cure stupid
765 Posts
Loss of a true Legend. I remember my Pop pointing out his work from the dock when I was a kid. He will be missed but is work/art is still out there for the world to enjoy.

·
Haulina29
416 Posts
Dick Vale was a very good friend he painted two boats and two dragsters for me we kept in touch monthly for over 20 years until he closed the shop, he never complained to me about his cancer. He treated my kids like they were his . Every xmas I would send him a JMI coat and when I would go see him they were always thrashed . He always had time for me, we would dine on ding dongs, pepsi and whatever kinda junk food he had laying around in his office, when I told my son of Dicks passing he said dad we can never sell our boat . I will miss our hour long discussions on real estate , construction,pms or what ever was on his mind . God Bless you Mr Vale you will never be replaced ....

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
To those of you who were Mr. Vale's friend my sincere condolences, I have seen many of his boats that he painted through the magazines, his work was second to none, I saw first hand the beautiful 32' Schiada he did a few years back, awesome.

May he and Paul Newman rest in peace in racing heaven.....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Wow, how sad to hear. Prayers for the family.

Anybody have some pics of Dick Vale's paint jobs to pay tribute??? They were some of the best around.

·
Distinguished Member
5,775 Posts
Dick painted our first Canyon and his passing is just one more reason why I miss that boat. Great painter and a man of his word. As others have said, he was a big part of boat racing. RIP Dick.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
How sad, our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends......

I've had the pleasure of seeing his work up close on a boat up here and I can set for hours and look at the detail and straight lines...how he did it I'll never know but clearly the sign of a craftsman second to none......god speed

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Sorry to here about Dick passing Billy its very hard to loose one of the best painters in the industry but more than that a great friend and better person. Thoughts and prayers to the VALE family R.I.P.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts