Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting this as I'm pretty proud of my creations. My head technician and I are not fabricators but I couldn't find anyone to do what I needed. We fabricated brackets for my new dual remote oil filter and water seperator heads. I wanted to increase the oil capacity a bit and I wanted to make filter changes easier. Real estate in my boat is tight so we got creative and fabricated a mount that bolts directly to the bell housing. I recently spent the big $ on having the transom repaired and I wanna mount the least amount of things to it as possible so we figured out a way to mount the water seperator to the stringer. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
looks good! That's how it starts, Next thing ya know you'll be riggin the whole boat or another or another.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
I like but I want to see how you are going to route your oil lines.
What size line are you going to use ?

S CP :happy:

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Mounts look great! You are not using those Fram filters I hope.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The lines were included in the kit. It's a straight shot from the top left of the head down to the adapter at the previous location of the oil filter. I already had the lines hooked up and and nothing is in their way. I'll be the first to admit that it looks a little funny. As far as the Frams go, I put those on becaust they are the tallest filter that I could find and I wanted to use them to help in fabricating the bracket. I'll probably switch to Napa or Wix later on and everything will be good as those are a little shorter.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Ok, Bob...why don't you enlighten us as to why ?
restriction of flow............

replace with -10 lines at a minimum. Also use -10 sweeps

S CP

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The kit comes with 1/2" lines. Why would there be a need to go bigger?

You need to remove as much restriction as posible. We use -12 line for the suply and return, for the remote filter. The remote filter kits we get are from rex marine, wich have bigger passages and are also drilled for lareger fitting. The style you have is fine for a car or truck that never sees more than 4000 rpm, but in a boat that cruises at 4000 + rpm all the time,,,,, thats a lot of oil to flow/move.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to remove as much restriction as posible. We use -12 line for the suply and return, for the remote filter. The remote filter kits we get are from rex marine, wich have bigger passages and are also drilled for lareger fitting. The style you have is fine for a car or truck that never sees more than 4000 rpm, but in a boat that cruises at 4000 + rpm all the time,,,,, thats a lot of oil to flow/move.
I have a shop so making up some 3/4" line shouldn't be a problem. I really don't see a need for going beyond that. If I would of mounted the remote head further away, let's say on the transom, then I definitely would go bigger.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Not a fan of push lock?
Not that particular push lock. When I put together a push lock hose, you can't see the barbs in the fitting through the hose. What does that tell you about that hose? I have no problem at all with push lock but would perfer not to use it in places with that much heat and that much pressure. The easiest way to intall push lock is to heat the end of the hose in hot water and lube the fitting. Now lets look at this application, HOT LUBE! Way hotter than hot tap water used to heat the hose! Don't get me wrong, it CAN work. It CAN also fail, I have seen it. Specially THAT hose! Do yourself a favor. If your using those hose and fittings on an oil line, CLAMP IT!
I have a shop so making up some 3/4" line shouldn't be a problem. I really don't see a need for going beyond that. If I would of mounted the remote head further away, let's say on the transom, then I definitely would go bigger.
3/4" and -12 is roughly the same size. Each -# is approx equal to 1/16".
Its not just the hose size. Its also the fittings. There is not much you can do with that adaptor because it uses pipe thread fittings, but an adaptor that uses O-ring AN fittings(read more expensive) can utilize o-ring AN fittings that are radiused on the entery.
Compare the fitting with pipe thread to the one with the O-ring in this pic. We're talking the life blood of the engine here guys. No place to cheap out. Save the money on the blingy shit like valve covers.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not that particular push lock. When I put together a push lock hose, you can't see the barbs in the fitting through the hose. What does that tell you about that hose? I have no problem at all with push lock but would perfer not to use it in places with that much heat and that much pressure. The easiest way to intall push lock is to heat the end of the hose in hot water and lube the fitting. Now lets look at this application, HOT LUBE! Way hotter than hot tap water used to heat the hose! Don't get me wrong, it CAN work. It CAN also fail, I have seen it. Specially THAT hose! Do yourself a favor. If your using those hose and fittings on an oil line, CLAMP IT!

3/4" and -12 is roughly the same size. Each -# is approx equal to 1/16".
Its not just the hose size. Its also the fittings. There is not much you can do with that adaptor because it uses pipe thread fittings, but an adaptor that uses O-ring AN fittings(read more expensive) can utilize o-ring AN fittings that are radiused on the entery.
Compare the fitting with pipe thread to the one with the O-ring in this pic. We're talking the life blood of the engine here guys. No place to cheap out. Save the money on the blingy shit like valve covers.

The cheap remote filter mount I bought in lieu of shiny valve covers has 3/4" ports and it stays the same size inside. It does not neck down internally. The filters this thing uses are 3/4-16 The lines are an issue from what I can tell and that is the only area in which I can agree with you. The lines are 1/2 with 3/4 fittings that neck down internally quite a bit and I can see that being a source for restriction. Looks like I'm gonna have some new 3/4" lines made instead of making them myself. I'm pretty sure that the place I use can build new lines using a true 3/4' fitting. I know that this probably won't make you feel warm and fuzzy inside but maybe it'll make you feel one of the mentioned emotions.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can make lines yourself. just buy it bulk and put the (earls or redhorse) hose fittings on after you cut it down to length. its no big deal really.

Product

Holley Performance Swivel–Seal Products
Thanks for that, I really appreciate it. What kind of hose should I use with those fittings? Does it have to be braided hose or can I use the gates 300 psi stuff?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
there are a lot of other brands out there but, for example theres the earls braided stainless steel hose (auto-flex hte or perform-o-flex) or the earls pro-lite 350 hose. you can get it from most speed shops,or mail oder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts