Performance Boats Forum banner

Did I get a good deal?

Tags
deal good
2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  snoc653 
#1 ·
I took my jet pump to a shop to get rebuilt. After giving them a used steel crank for a $200 credit I was charged $550 for labor and $1100 for a used stainless steel impeller. A stuffer was also installed.

#5 ·
WIth a stuffer, they are not that far out of line, You getting $200 for a steel crank was good considering they could have gotten it less I am sure. Realistically, depending on what was done to the impeller and how detailed it was, you may have don good on the deal. I have paid close to that for a SS before. It hurts at first but you will get used to it. :|err

Cy

#9 ·
I recently put a brand new Berk SS in mine and I got it for $999. You also have to consider what they had to do to rebuild it. New wear ring, did they have to machine any part of the pump, was there anything done other than swapping old parts for new? All in all the total price sounds fair. Like someone else said already there are ones that would have done it for less and there are ones that would do it for more. I have had two pumps overhauled and each time I spent around $1000 without a SS impeller.

#11 ·
it is what it is.
We all learn here from our 1st go-rounds. If your performance is better now than you got a great deal.

Try to search the forums for questions you have. Thats the Search button above. There is a ton of info on here if you take the time to look for it.

#12 ·
Like others said, it doesn't sound too far out of line, depending on what was done...Next time do the pump yourself. They are surprisingly simple so assemble and if you study the info that is out there you can do it right and make no mistakes.

#15 ·
#16 ·
I just overhauled my Dominator 12S pump did all the work my self this is what it cost me.

New American Turbine AA impeller Alum $250

Ultimate Wear Ring $125

New Thrust bearing $65

Marine Silicone Rubber Sealant $15

Intake Gasket $10

Nozzle o-ring $15

Graphite packing Free

O-rings Free

All new Stainless steel bolting Free

Total $480

Bowl bushings & seals did not need to be changed.

#18 ·
THank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 ·
Well I guess you'll know if you got a good deal depending on when it has to be rebuilt again, if you're pounding sand in 6 months I guess you'll know the answer to your question. Thats why i am with brendella on this one, do your research and do it yourself, then the only person to blame is yourself and your mechanical skills. Pumps are not complicated pieces, not alot to them, just do your research and do it right, no shortcuts.

#19 ·
I would have rebuilt it myself but am currently rebuilding the engine (454 to 489) and did not want to mess with it. I just got orders overseas so this is my last summer here with the boat for 4 years. I just want to get back out there! Next time I will rebuild the pump myself. :)st

#20 ·
Spend a little bit of that E8 pay. Time is money. What is your time worth? Did they get the job done and done right? If you wanted it yesterday and they managed to squeeze it out today, that costs extra. So, bottom line, was their price a little high? Some say yes, some said no. If you got what you wanted, when you wanted it and it was done the way you wanted it. If it was for a price you agreed to, then I'd say you got a good deal. If any of those ifs turn out to be no's then the deal sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.