Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to go look at new trucks today and I am torn on which is the best all around truck. Chevy, Dodge, Ford? Please help with reasens one is better than the other. Thanks, Nick

I am looking for crew cab, diesel, 4 x 4, standard bed, white. Thanks.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Ford, solid front axle, and it just looks cooler ;) I have an 02 so i can't attest for the new motor/tranny, but the cab is basically the same. Very roomy and comfortable IMO.

·
Full Of It.
787 Posts
Never been a Dodge fan, but my father in law has one, extended cab, long bed. Cummins diesel is noisy as hell. Rough ride. Big bench seat. Could tow a house off its foundation.

Had an F-250 before and considered it before I bought the silverado. Driven a diesel F 350 though, crew cab, long bed SRW. Pretty big inside, but less refined that the Chevy was. And louder as well.

The Chevy/Duramax combo was the most quiet and most refined interior. I liked the GMC style grill better though. Better ride than the other two IMO. I believe better reliability. Never a whiff of the sooty smell.

I think any of them is going to be a good choice, you're gonna have to ride/drive in each one and see which you like the best.

Then, let your wife decide... duh! :D

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
Go on the different forums and see what the owners are griping about and what they are having to have repaired again and again. You'll find the least amount of problems on the Dodge diesel forums. I have a 2006 dually with just over 62,000 miles on it and have had NO problems with anything on it. Transmission and brakes can be problematic but I have the 6 speed manual tranny and do a lot of downshifting to save the brakes. The new Orion 6 speed automatic transmission is much better than the 4 speed auto though.

www.cumminsforum.com Lots of talk about the 6.7L if you want that motor. It's basically a bored out 5.9.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Each model has its good points and bad. Guess it will be up to your own individual taste to decide but I have been very happy with my 2004 Ford F250 and the new 09/10 models are even nicer inside and out.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
Love my 06 Dodge Mega Cab. Better than my 03 Dmax, but not as good as my old 7.3 Powerstroke
Your Dodge is the 325/610 common rail it will outtow the 7.3 any day on level ground and up any hill you want to climb.

·
Full Of It.
787 Posts
120,000 miles on my 04 Chevy now. Still on the original factory brakes, and I tow and haul often. I am amazed. No mechanical issues, with the exception of a small short which was warranteed, only maintenance costs so far.

·
Dreaming of snow
1,053 Posts
Ive had all three:

98 Chevy 2500: One tranny problem, and some electrical problems. The rear window fell out twice for some reason. Towed ok.

00 Ford 250: Never had one problem with it except for needing a new clutch at 70k (ive heard the 6.0 had a TON of problems though) 7.3 was very sluggish.

04.5 Dodge 2500 - Complete POS, I had to lemon law it. Tranny band went bad, two injectors, fuel rail, and blew the motor. All within 30k, and started at 1500 miles. Was affraid to tow with it, due to where it was going to break down next.

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab -Ive got 88k on it now, and the ONLY problem Ive had is the vent changing from circulating air to non circulating air. First time was under warranty, and the second time was 100 bucks. Had the axle seals go bad twice, but that was from offroading. Ive head the AC issue was common with the mega cabs and seems to go bad every 30k miles. Tows anything and everything with ease and we pull 40' toy hauler twice per month.

·
R U or U R?
1,829 Posts
Ive had all three:

98 Chevy 2500: One tranny problem, and some electrical problems. The rear window fell out twice for some reason. Towed ok.

00 Ford 250: Never had one problem with it except for needing a new clutch at 70k (ive heard the 6.0 had a TON of problems though) 7.3 was very sluggish.

04.5 Dodge 2500 - Complete POS, I had to lemon law it. Tranny band went bad, two injectors, fuel rail, and blew the motor. All within 30k, and started at 1500 miles. Was affraid to tow with it, due to where it was going to break down next.

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab -Ive got 88k on it now, and the ONLY problem Ive had is the vent changing from circulating air to non circulating air. First time was under warranty, and the second time was 100 bucks. Had the axle seals go bad twice, but that was from offroading. Ive head the AC issue was common with the mega cabs and seems to go bad every 30k miles. Tows anything and everything with ease and we pull 40' toy hauler twice per month.
I thought the AC was going bad on mine at 33K, but it turned out that the AC lines rub against the tranny dipstick and rub a hole through em.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
Ive had all three:

Oh look my twin brother. :D I'm really surprised you bought another Dodge. Brave man! :) I haven't had any problem with my a/c except those little things you move the vents with are very hard to turn.

There is a freight brokerage company in California that will not load anybody with any other truck but a Dodge or a truck with a Dodge motor in it(Fummins). He says the Fords and GMs spend too much time in the shop after towing 17,000-18,000lbs day after day after day. Their V-8 motors can't hold up under the strain.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I have heard nothing but problems with the new fords. My mom works for for Ford so I could pay $100 over invoice for the truck and I still ended up with a chevy. I had a loaded 06 xlt crew cab F250 4x4 6.0 and I paid 31k for it.:D

However my mom said she'd rather see me buy a chevy. As they were having constant problems with the new 6.4 twin turbo. To me it sounded like the POS 6.0 all over again. I really wanted the Ford as I like the looks of them a lot more than the Chevy. The Ford cab is also much more roomy and had softer more comfortable seats for the long river drives.

I have about 40k miles on my 6.6 Duramax and havent had any real big problems. The dash board in these trucks rattle like hell I had to take it to the dealer twice. Its very common. Other than that, no real issues. I love the Manual Shift on the Allison for towing or even just driving up grades.

I've never really been a Dodge fan. I didnt like how noisy they where for a daily driver. And Im not to crazy about the looks. However the Cummins is a solid deal!

If your going to do some offroding, I'd steer more towards Ford or Dodge for the SFA. Chevy still puts the crappy IFS on there trucks. The Chevy 4wd componets are weak. If money was no issue, Id do a SFA conversion on my Chevy.

What ever you buy now is going to come with a dpf on it. Ditch it right away and program it. If your concerend about running big tunes, there are programmers that will just delete the dpf and keep the truck at a stock tune. They waste a ton of fuel and kill hp. It also sucks when you mash the pedal on your diesel and its about as loud as a Hybrid. LOL. Dont let anyone talk you into the dpf back stuff, it sucks!

Here's all the stuff duramax owners are complaining about:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263459

Im sure if you go to the Ford and Dodge sites you'll find the same type of thread.

·
Been here a while
610 Posts
Im partial to the Duramax GM. It has had far fewer problems than dodge and fords diesels.

If GM made the 2500 as wide as the f250 with a solid axle, that would be the best.

I gotta give it to the fords, they have awsome cabs and a solid front axle, but they have come up with a new motor every few years because of problems.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Chevy

Because....

Ford has garbage engine. No engine no drive!!

Dodge, because its a Dodge man. Tows tons of weight, and that's it.

Daily driver and great towing with plent of power and the best diesel and tranny in a truck, you want Chevy.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
At this point in time I think I would look at who will still be in buisiness 5yrs from now.

I have a 99 F250 7.3L 4 x 4 with 139,000 mi. Just replaced brake pads for the first time a few thou ago. No other problems to date. They do have a slugich problem off the line but aftermarket exhaust cures that problem. Friend had one of the first Duramaxes and had nothing but problems.

Never have liked Dodges. They have great drivetrains but they always seem to turn into rattle traps.

I know they were having problems with the new6.4's butdon't know if they have fixed the problem yet. Unfortunately ford had to abandon the 7.3 due to EPA B.S.. Which in my opinion is still the best diesel on the road as far as passenger trucks go. No substitute for cubic inches.
2 things I have noticed though if it means anything. I have seen more people go from Dodge and Chevy to Fords than vise versa. And 2nd I work in the steel industry where my customers are hauling out of here with 5 to 15+ thousand lbs on thier trailers and I have twice as many Fords come through here than Dodges and Chevy's combined. I myself slap a 4500 lb cabover camper on my truck with my boat in tow and pull up 8 & 9% grades no problem.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Your Dodge is the 325/610 common rail it will outtow the 7.3 any day on level ground and up any hill you want to climb.

I don't so much about that.. That may be a bit of a stretch.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
At this point in time I think I would look at who will still be in buisiness 5yrs from now.

I have a 99 F250 7.3L 4 x 4 with 139,000 mi. Just replaced brake pads for the first time a few thou ago. No other problems to date. They do have a slugich problem off the line but aftermarket exhaust cures that problem. Friend had one of the first Duramaxes and had nothing but problems.

Never have liked Dodges. They have great drivetrains but they always seem to turn into rattle traps.

2 things I have noticed though if it means anything. I have seen more people go from Dodge and Chevy to Fords than vise versa. And 2nd I work in the steel industry where my customers are hauling out of here with 5 to 15+ thousand lbs on thier trailers and I have twice as many Fords come through here than Dodges and Chevy's combined. I myself slap a 4500 lb cabover camper on my truck with my boat in tow and pull up 8 & 9% grades no problem.
First off, Nobody is going anywhere.

The 7.3 is no longer availible. He's going to look at new trucks. Dont get me wrong, International made a bitchen motor, its too bad Ford still cant use it. Id like to see them get off the line a lil quicker, Im sure if they were still around, they wouldv'e made that happen.

The 1st gengeration d-max (LB7) is long gone and has advanced greatly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Heres what you need; Dodge chassis with Chevy interior and Ford injectors. Or just get a chevy with any other vehicle as your (chevy) tow vehicle. My 02 chevy with 48000 miles has had 3 sets of injectors and 1 motor replaced, along with all the standard breakdowns a normal truck with 48000 has?:)sphss

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
First off, Nobody is going anywhere.

The 7.3 is no longer availible. He's going to look at new trucks.

The 1st gengeration d-max (LB7) is long gone and has advanced greatly.
Sorry I was editing as you posted. I know the 7.3 is gone but I wouldn't be to sure about which companies will survive and which won't. The government is not going to continue to constantly bail out the automakers and since GM has not turned a true proffit in 27 yrs and are starting out with multi billion $ debts again they have along way to go to prove to me they can survive. And who knows what will happen with Dodge as Fiat runs them. But there is one thing for sure and that is Ford is the most solvent of all of them.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Heres what you need; Dodge chassis with Chevy interior and Ford injectors. Or just get a chevy with any other vehicle as your (chevy) tow vehicle. My 02 chevy with 48000 miles has had 3 sets of injectors and 1 motor replaced, along with all the standard breakdowns a normal truck with 48000 has?:)sphss

Thats the LB7. The duramax is now the LMM. Theres a new one coming out next year.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts