Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure some of you are aware of the FCC mandated digital TV transition taking place on February 17th of this year. However, there is a bullshit "scandal" that is being played out by not only home electronics retailers (i.e. Best Buy, Circuit City, etc etc), but by cable and satellite providers as well that I think everyone here should be aware of. Unfortunately there is no way to stop them from doing this but I figure if everyone is better educated about the DTV transition it will save a lot of people from spending unneeded cash for a TV they don't need.

The scandal is that retailers along with cable and satellite retailers/providers are telling people that everything is changing over to HD (high definition) and that everyone must buy an HD television or they won't be able to watch TV anymore. They're doing this to boost sales of HDTVs and HD services. However, nothing could be further from the truth.

The Truth

On February 17th, 2009, all "full power TV broadcast stations" will be shutting down their analog transmitters and will be broadcasting a DIGITAL signal from their headends. This has been mandated by the FCC to free up the bandwidth currently being used by full power TV broadcast stations for other uses (i.e. police, fire, paramedic, wireless broadband, etc etc). All this means is that for those who are still receiving local broadcast stations from a traditional antenna (i.e. roof antenna, rabbit ears, etc etc), you will not be able to receive analog broadcast stations anymore.

This means that you will either have to buy a digital/analog converter box to be able to receive your over-the-air broadcast stations or subscribe to cable or satellite services. The digital/analog converter box hooks up between your current antenna and your television and offers more channels from each broadcast station in a more crisp and clear detailed picture than before. The broadcasts are free to receive just like before..you will just have to buy a digital/analog converter box if you plan on using a traditional antenna to receive TV services.

For those of you who decide to go the converter box route, the government is also offering a $40 coupon to those in need of a converter box. Everyone is allowed 2 per household.

For those of you who already subscribe to cable or satellite, this transition DOES NOT affect you in any way at all. DTV and Dish are both 100% digital. Cable companies do not fall under this mandate in any way shape or form. So for cable and satellite subscribers, you don't have to do anything. You are not affected by this transition.

THIS TRANSITION ONLY AFFECTS THOSE WHO USE A TRADITIONAL OVER THE AIR ANTENNA TO RECEIVE LOCAL BROADCAST!!!

So for those of you who were planning on buying HDTV's because you thought you had to, it's all just a hoax to get people to buy more HDTVs and for people to subscribe to HDTV services from their satellite and cable companies. Do not buy into it.

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
Right on John

Thanks for keeping us "in the know"!

Happy New Year, Dude.:)devil

You and Uncle Jack rock!!!

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yeah, been all over the TV for the last 6 months, have to be living in a cave not to know. But then again if you live in a cave you don't give a shit.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Obama had requested that, but haven't heard anything since the request. I don't know why like I said above, you gotta be living in a cave not to know by now.
He asked because people were still applying for the $40 credit and the funds have run out.

I also heard that people that have set up their box prior to the Feb. date will probably have to reset it because broadcast stations are going to change their frequencies, thus causing further confusion.

People should also know, that the digital signal is either good or no good. There is no middle ground like the analog signals. People that live on the edge will likely no longer receive a signal since digital signals are not broadcast as strong.

Another factor, is the antenna itself. BO also said people would not be as likely to get on their roofs and install a new antenna in the freezing weather.

Does anyone have any good ideas for an antenna that will work well with the new boxes?

·
Registered
544 Posts
So for those of you who were planning on buying HDTV's because you thought you had to, it's all just a hoax to get people to buy more HDTVs and for people to subscribe to HDTV services from their satellite and cable companies. Do not buy into it.
Dude, knock it off. How am I gonna fool my wife into letting me buy a new HDTV if you keep up this shit? :D :D

·
Next to this Hottie.
2,234 Posts
Another factor, is the antenna itself. BO also said people would not be as likely to get on their roofs and install a new antenna in the freezing weather.

Does anyone have any good ideas for an antenna that will work well with the new boxes?

You don't need a special antenna, for example, I have bare coax on my roof, left it up there when I removed the antenna and I can still receive the over the air channels. I setup a plain old rabbit ear antenna for my inlaws, works like a charm.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You don't need a special antenna, for example, I have bare coax on my roof, left it up there when I removed the antenna and I can still receive the over the air channels. I setup a plain old rabbit ear antenna for my inlaws, works like a charm.
J i live only 20 miles from the Group of towers that broadcast all the tv stations around the Dallas Ft.Worth area and there are 3 channels i cannot get with the regular antenna:|err it just will not work,,tried the booster antenna and everything still nothing! there answer is,,well if it doesnt work when we change you just wont get it.

i think thats bull shit if ya ask me,,but what do i know:D

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
He asked because people were still applying for the $40 credit and the funds have run out.

I also heard that people that have set up their box prior to the Feb. date will probably have to reset it because broadcast stations are going to change their frequencies, thus causing further confusion.

People should also know, that the digital signal is either good or no good. There is no middle ground like the analog signals. People that live on the edge will likely no longer receive a signal since digital signals are not broadcast as strong.

Great, you know there is some scandal when $40 payments run out, ooops, um there were more people with TV's from 1963 than we thought....

·
The Grand Wizard
2,912 Posts
From what I have heard, if you have Cable/Satelite now, you do not have to worry about a thing, it will just be transfered over. My parents were worried about it too.

I could not imagine life without HD. :)

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
J i live only 20 miles from the Group of towers that broadcast all the tv stations around the Dallas Ft.Worth area and there are 3 channels i cannot get with the regular antenna:|err it just will not work,,tried the booster antenna and everything still nothing! there answer is,,well if it doesnt work when we change you just wont get it.

i think thats bull shit if ya ask me,,but what do i know:D
Think of all the shit you'll get done now, without any TV to watch.... :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dumb question?

We use a rooftop antena for our Havasu house. We have four TV's hooked up to it. Will I need a converter box for each TV? Or just one for the whole house.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
From what I have heard, if you have Cable/Satelite now, you do not have to worry about a thing, it will just be transfered over. My parents were worried about it too.

I could not imagine life without HD. :)

You are already digital. It means nothing to you. UNLESS you do not get local channels on your cable/ sat.

·
Some guy
3,648 Posts

They are advising rescanning after the changeover date to get any new signals.

I currently have one box working off my roof antenna, and another off the antenna that is on the TV, both seem to work pretty well, but I have been cosidering a new antenna in the attic, there are several newer smaller type ones available.

We use a rooftop antena for our Havasu house. We have four TV's hooked up to it. Will I need a converter box for each TV? Or just one for the whole house.
I am pretty sure you need one box for each TV, but it would be cool if there was some type of splitter box.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
I am pretty sure you need one box for each TV, but it would be cool if there was some type of splitter box.
Well, to "split" digital signals you would probably need a "multi-switch", like you have to use with satellite signal.
They are not cheap. The sat dishes have 4 outputs normally built into the dish. To split one output to 2 sat. boxes a single multi switch is close to $100.00 last I looked.

In the digital converter box scenario, you would have to put that multi-switch after the converter box, then you would have multiple digital outputs.
But I doubt it would be cost effective.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts