Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i'm thinking i'm getting rear ended by directtv..thinking about a change...who has done the switch and why? picture clarity, price, channels, free-bee's, tivo...was there any difference with the line up...what made you switch and are you happy with you switch?...if you thought about switching and stayed with directtv why?

·
I am Roger..the Shrubber
1,080 Posts
ok i'm thinking i'm getting rear ended by directtv..thinking about a change...who has done the switch and why? picture clarity, price, channels, free-bee's, tivo...was there any difference with the line up...what made you switch and are you happy with you switch?...if you thought about switching and stayed with directtv why?
NFL sunday ticket...period. Outside of that I can't think of any other reason to stay with direct. I do know that if you call them and say "I want to cancel" they are willing to listen.

And let me know if my guy ever came to visit you.

·
HELL OF A GUY
3,137 Posts
directt-tv sucks dicks,we changed over and i wish we never did:mad:

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
switched from directv to dishnetwork and haven't looked back. the satelite is hard to "wash out" during storms compared to any other we've had yet. picture is better as well. the receiver in our frt room is also the receiver for our bedroom(wireless) which is cool, they both have tivo on them thru 1 box. i'm happy so far, been 2yrs.

·
Registered
505 Posts
We went with dish. I am not happy with the audio. Seem that the lips do not match up with the word a lot. I am also not happy with it losing signal a lot. I was watching Heat last night and it lost the signal at the best part for 5 full minute.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
im having the same problem with directv, but they do have a better picture, they have higher bandwidth than dish and a better picture. but their customer service people suck..my bill was over 200 a month easy, so i was looking at switching it up a bit, and they refused to let me remove recievers im no longer using and wouldnt let me drop my service down so i cancelled it. im moving and if i sign up under my wifes name we get a free HD DVR and i could get the sunday ticket with premier pack for 80.00 a month for the first 6 months or so, but they wouldnt do anything with my package or recievers as far as upgrades or discounts to keep us with them, after years of service...

·
Next to this Hottie.
2,234 Posts
im having the same problem with directv, but they do have a better picture, they have higher bandwidth than dish and a better picture. but their customer service people suck..my bill was over 200 a month easy, so i was looking at switching it up a bit, and they refused to let me remove recievers im no longer using and wouldnt let me drop my service down so i cancelled it. im moving and if i sign up under my wifes name we get a free HD DVR and i could get the sunday ticket with premier pack for 80.00 a month for the first 6 months or so, but they wouldnt do anything with my package or recievers as far as upgrades or discounts to keep us with them, after years of service...
If you are under a contract, then they really don't have to do anything for you. I would talk with the customer retention department, they have the power to do as they like, the regular CSR's are pretty useless.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I had Direct TV come out to do my whole house up. They wanted to run wires all around the house, up and down outside because the HD DVR's take two coax's each and needed to install something in the attic. Looked like a big pain in the ass to me. I have cable and am very happy with it.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
switched from directv to dishnetwork and haven't looked back. the satelite is hard to "wash out" during storms compared to any other we've had yet. picture is better as well. the receiver in our frt room is also the receiver for our bedroom(wireless) which is cool, they both have tivo on them thru 1 box. i'm happy so far, been 2yrs.
As far as the "washout" you refer to (AKA "rain fade"), that is usually caused by the tech not aligning the dish properly for highest possible signal.

In regards to the DVRs having to use dual coax, that shouldn't change the way the cables are ran around the house.

However, for those of you who are thinking about getting DTV, we now are doing the KA/KU SWM (hi-def...SWM=Single Wire Multiswitch) system. These eliminate the need for the second line requirement for DVRs and HD/DVR receivers. You only have 1 cable coming from the dish to a special splitter, where it splits off to all the other receivers. Each receiver is assigned a "channel" that it uses to communicate with the LNB on the dish, and there are a total of 8 available channels. DVRs use 2 channels...one for each tuner. So you can have up to 4 DVRs on 1 dish, or 8 standard/HD standard receivers on 1 dish.

In order to get this setup though you have to be a new customer and order an HD package. DTV does not do them on HD Upgrades...new installs only.

·
Next to this Hottie.
2,234 Posts
I had Direct TV come out to do my whole house up. They wanted to run wires all around the house, up and down outside because the HD DVR's take two coax's each and needed to install something in the attic. Looked like a big pain in the ass to me. I have cable and am very happy with it.

They no longer need to do that, they can now just run one cable and split it once inside. Took them long enough to come out with that tech though.:)sphss

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
They no longer need to do that, they can now just run one cable and split it once inside. Took them long enough to come out with that tech though.:)sphss
That is the SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) system and is only available on the high def dish though. All the other dishes (18", multi-sat, and international) still use the conventional "legacy" system and will require a second line to all DVRs.

·
Next to this Hottie.
2,234 Posts
That is the SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) system and is only available on the high def dish though. All the other dishes (18", multi-sat, and international) still use the conventional "legacy" system and will require a second line to all DVRs.

Correct and dumb of me to think everybody in this thread is doing HD.:)

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
As far as the "washout" you refer to (AKA "rain fade"), that is usually caused by the tech not aligning the dish properly for highest possible signal.

In regards to the DVRs having to use dual coax, that shouldn't change the way the cables are ran around the house.

However, for those of you who are thinking about getting DTV, we now are doing the KA/KU SWM (hi-def...SWM=Single Wire Multiswitch) system. These eliminate the need for the second line requirement for DVRs and HD/DVR receivers. You only have 1 cable coming from the dish to a special splitter, where it splits off to all the other receivers. Each receiver is assigned a "channel" that it uses to communicate with the LNB on the dish, and there are a total of 8 available channels. DVRs use 2 channels...one for each tuner. So you can have up to 4 DVRs on 1 dish, or 8 standard/HD standard receivers on 1 dish.

In order to get this setup though you have to be a new customer and order an HD package. DTV does not do them on HD Upgrades...new installs only.

And you have to ask for it... I just got DTV to replace my cable service. I had only one cable line going to each tv, so when i switched to DTV they did not add a second line nor did they add the SWM. well i could not record more than one show at a time or watch and record another at the same time. After three calls to customer reps (which have no f-ing clue what they are talking about, not sure they know their ass from a hole in the ground) a tech was sent out- i had to block a complete afternoon out of my day. The tech tells me "ahh no i not gonna run a second line, i'll just put the SWM in and it will fix it" WTF why didnt they install that the first fukin trip. "well you must not have asked for it" .... Kablammmm!!! i wanted hit the muther fuker over the head. How should i have known that i needed that- do i look like a fukin cable guy?

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
We have Direct HD and it's streets ahead of the Time Warner cable it replaced.
For only 10 bux more a month it includes 2 TVs in the RV too.

The newest (Black) HD direct recievers have a 3 second lag time when changing channels,, kinda sux for channel surfing.
But, still glad we're with Direct.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NFL sunday ticket...period. Outside of that I can't think of any other reason to stay with direct. I do know that if you call them and say "I want to cancel" they are willing to listen.

And let me know if my guy ever came to visit you.
nope you guy never came i ended up giving the business to another local guy that raff referred to me.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And you have to ask for it... I just got DTV to replace my cable service. I had only one cable line going to each tv, so when i switched to DTV they did not add a second line nor did they add the SWM. well i could not record more than one show at a time or watch and record another at the same time. After three calls to customer reps (which have no f-ing clue what they are talking about, not sure they know their ass from a hole in the ground) a tech was sent out- i had to block a complete afternoon out of my day. The tech tells me "ahh no i not gonna run a second line, i'll just put the SWM in and it will fix it" WTF why didnt they install that the first fukin trip. "well you must not have asked for it" .... Kablammmm!!! i wanted hit the muther fuker over the head. How should i have known that i needed that- do i look like a fukin cable guy?[/quote]
lol quote of the day

·
Next to this Hottie.
2,234 Posts
We have Direct HD and it's streets ahead of the Time Warner cable it replaced.
For only 10 bux more a month it includes 2 TVs in the RV too.

The newest (Black) HD direct recievers have a 3 second lag time when changing channels,, kinda sux for channel surfing.
But, still glad we're with Direct.
Try setting the output on the HD receiver to only one resolution, preferably to 1080i.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so no one has verizon fiso or at&t u-verse?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts