Performance Boats Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
What's the chrome handle he's fiddling with?

that shoots that there rooster tail and make them look like there doing a 100 mph when there really doing 65mph
and they can do a wheely doing 5 mph
and and and spray some there water over a bridge......................so cool:)hammers

There's no right or wrong opinion. Like others have said, different style's of boats are like women. I love brunette's right up until a hot blonde walks by, then all of a sudden I have a fondness for blondes. I've owned 13 different boats in my life, jet's, IO's, wacker's, and more jets, but never a flat bottom. :no: A good friend owned an old wood deck Steven's I believe, it was set up as a circle boat racer. The thing was a legit low 90's mph boat. I got to drive quite a bit, and man it was a blast to drive. He thought it was great fun to catch his passenger not paying attention and do a hard left turn at speed and see if you could stay in the boat. :drown::lmao1:

For me it come's down more to where I like to boat. I prefer the shallow water of the lower river, that's jet boat heaven. It's also a great place to water ski. When I was younger I skied a lot, that's one big reason I like the shallow water, it stays flat even if it gets a little windy. Good for skiing, and good for going fast. When we had kid's we went through a stage where we were doing the lakes a lot (Mojave and Mead) but I got tired of watching my boat float because the wind would come up and it was to ruff to ski. So now I stick to the lower river because I still like to ski, but I'm old and can only handle 1 maybe 2 runs a weekend. That's one of the excuses for getting my hot rod, pushing the loud pedal I still can handel.:)devil

When the day comes and I move, I'll re-evaluate my boating needs and maybe get that V drive I never had. Probably still be a classic old school day cruiser though. I always wanted a 21' Connelly Ski Bum V drive..... Maybe that will be my Texas boat.:hmmm:

that shoots that there rooster tail and make them look like there doing a 100 mph when there really doing 65mph
and and and spray some there water over a bridge......................so cool:)hammers
LOL Just like I said! Go 114mph, shoot a roost, or do wheelies! Man, that's fun in my book!!!!!

Best is when you have a friend on a 50ft rope and you try shoot him out of his ski as he crosses the wake. Great fun.:)sphss

Jet Boats have made huge strides respective to their prop driven counterparts over the past several years they have their own place in the boating/marine world and are running very impressive numbers in virtually all aspects of boating performance and boat racing, its only going to get better IMO :))THumbsUp

Jet Boats have made huge strides respective to their prop driven counterparts over the past several years running very impressive numbers in virtually all aspects of boating performance and racing its only going to get better IMO :))THumbsUp
That's a pretty broad term. What RACING would that be?
Circles? Against what, SS and PS or against GNs?
Marathons?
Water ski racing?

Ask Nick Barron of Hallett or Schiada how the jet idea worked for them in the Catalina ski race a few years back.
The list of 18ft flat winning Catalina is as long as my arm. The list of 21 Ft c drive cruisers winning is as long as my leg.
Ever hear of a jet winning the Parker 9 hr, Salton Sea 500? Berryessa 6 hr?

You only THINK that V drives haven't made strides.
Yeah, the jets are closer to v drives at the drags than any time in history. But that's pretty much where it ends. I didn't realize we were talking about running drags.

They all, have their place.
No v drive will ever win the mud ditch sprint races or the white water river races.
No jet is ever going to win a marathon, with or without a skier.
Don't make me discuss circle races against anything.

Well hell, ya learn something new every day. Now put that thing as a left foot peddle and they'll see how much fun it is to run a down peddle.
:happy: :))THumbsUp

Lets all look at this from a slightly different perspective:

Take the three different, scratch that, make it FIVE. Lets take five favorite hulls that overlap this conversation purely from a SPEED / PER $$$ perspective and how much it costs to get where/here/there:

1) biesemeyer flattie v-drive

2) sanger hydro v-drive (run of the mill ski and not a DRAG hydro)

3) TNT Youngblood tunnel JET

4) Allison SS Vpad outboard (I picked this hull since F.C. is in the discussion and he knows how to fly his Allison at 100 :)devil ) (he knows I like the whacker boats)

5) STV river racer tunnel outboard

ALL B.S. aside, lets see how much HP/$$$ it takes you to get to the magic number of 110 MPH...

To get to 110 MPH in each of the above, assuming you already have the necessary hull/Vdrive box/prop/pump... Lets see what it takes...

With option #1 (B-BOAT) would a 650 HP 540" 93 octane Pump Gas N/A (no power adders) built on a budget of say 8k (good heads, correct cam, decent crank/rods), would that get you to 110 MPH??? How about that same mill in a 20' Sanger ski hydro??? Now put that same mill in a JET, what is your realistic top speed??

Take the Allison SS and STV tunnel and strap on a nice V6 OMC looper that you built on your own and have 8k in the power head alone... What kind of HP / SPEED would you see on the large displacement looper and a good 8k power head build??? Is it a safe assumption that the STV will be slower than the Vpad or is the extra weight of the Allison going to give the MPH advantage to the STV...

Can you build a 400-450 HP LOOPER 2smoke power head for 8k??? If so, what speed MPH will that push you to??? (I'm thinking of Wickey/STV Keith/F.C.)

IOs are quiet and relatively efficient, outboards free up room inside and are (mostly) light to tow, V-drives generally put the power down the best, especially in top speed.

All boats have their +'s & -'s.....The only boats I really don't like are the ones making big wakes when I'm trying to ski. That can be a cruiser or a small fishing boat going at max wake('cause slowin' down as they pass you is being considerate....right?:duh::bangmyhead::angry:)

My favorite type of Boat racing is Jet Sprint- and there ain't no other style of boat that could compete with a jet there......5+ g's in acceleration AND turning.....I just wish I could see it down here in CA.

My opinion for what it's worth is, WE NEED THEM ALL! Up here in the Northwest there isn't much of a rivalry. If there is a show we want everyone to come! V-drive Jet and yes wackers too! The more the better. I have been floored with just how badass all of these boats can be built. I run a jet but I boat on a river that changes with the tide and have concerns with a prop hitting something. But V-drives and wackers come up and hangout all the time. Great boats but further more great people! In the end that is the only thing that matters. It would suck if folks started to limit events to the type of boat you own!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.