Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a front mounted distributor from my jesel belt drive so I need to use a distributor button to drive the oil pump. My question is how do you line up the oil pump drive with no rotor to rotate the shaft as you drop it in? I was told that you could just rotate the crank until it lines up, but that sounds like a good way to damage the gear.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is nothing that needs phasing so just keep rotating the pump drive till it drops in.
Okay, I can see that with the oil pan off, but what if it isn't. For example, I'm getting ready to dyno the engine, I pull the button to prime the oil system now what, pull the oil pan to line up the oil pump drive?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Okay, I can see that with the oil pan off, but what if it isn't. For example, I'm getting ready to dyno the engine, I pull the button to prime the oil system now what, pull the oil pan to line up the oil pump drive?
put a long screwdriver down the hole and turn the oil pump drive shaft a little bit at a time till the button drop's in ..........E:)hand

·
Registered
377 Posts
I use the rotate the crank method to drop distributors in when the pump isn't lined up exactly where the distributor needs to be set, I can't see how you'd damage anything, hasn't messed up anything I've done it on.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even installing a dizzy, I use the screwdriver deal.

Tim
Yeah, me too. I tried several times and missed every time. It's just strange not having anything to hold (the rotor) and just drop it in. Guess I just need to be patient and keep trying. It's probably one of those things that once you figure it out, it's a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Even with distributors...I get the rotor pointed where it needs to and have someone tap the key (with the ignition disabled of course) until it drops in. Usually you'll catch it on the first rev. but sometimes it take 2 revolutions.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Yeah, me too. I tried several times and missed every time. It's just strange not having anything to hold (the rotor) and just drop it in. Guess I just need to be patient and keep trying. It's probably one of those things that once you figure it out, it's a no brainer.
Steve if you go to rogers let me know and i will stop for a pull or two.

·
Registered
612 Posts
When you use your screwdriver to line up the shaft, just keep in mind that the dist. will rotate as it drops in due to the angle of the gear teath. just just line the pump shaft a little clockwise from where the dist is when you stab it in.Still might take many trys to get it right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts