Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new distributor gear for an olds 455 with an HEI. .491 shaft. Everyone on the planet is backordered on these...what gives? Anyone know where they are in stock?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Looking for a new distributor gear for an olds 455 with an HEI. .491 shaft. Everyone on the planet is backordered on these...what gives? Anyone know where they are in stock?
Bronze or Cast Iron?

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
I just bought a .490 bronze gear for a BBC from Super Shops in El Cajon, maybe they can help you...? 619-562-4339

If you can use a used steel gear I probably have one.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Once again some one is looking for a part and we have no idea what part of the country he is in....It is quite simple to show your home town under your screen name, and it sure helps others help you in cases like this. If I knew of a gear, in stock, at the corner parts store would you come and get it?............MP

·
688 Posts
[ If I knew of a gear, in stock, at the corner parts store would you come and get it?............MP[/QUOTE]

No, you live to damn far away from him:D

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
bronze or steel

What is the best I understand the idea behind bronze, is that it will "go" before the cam.....but I also heard they suck. Not to thrad jack but what one are you thinking brendellajet??? And what is the gerneral consensus here????

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Anyone here using the melonite gears? (might have spelt it wrong) I have seen some of the stock gears chewing random teeth and this seened to fix the problem. My experiance anyways.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
A block?

[ If I knew of a gear, in stock, at the corner parts store would you come and get it?............MP
No, you live to damn far away from him:D[/QUOTE]

I could be on the next block,:)st or around the corner,:D hell, even next door:)hand.......No way of knowing....MP

·
688 Posts
No, you live to damn far away from him:D
I could be on the next block,:)st or around the corner,:D hell, even next door:)hand.......No way of knowing....MP[/QUOTE]

hH e lives right down the street from me, and you do live to far away :D

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
At the risk of sounding stupid(hey if the shoe fits right, lol) are all roller cams, billet, or not necesaraly(sp?)

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Thanks H.D. :D I'm glad this thread cam up right now, just as an fyi what would happen if I ran a non bronze cam gear on a billet cam?????????

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Heat treat

Thanks H.D. :D I'm glad this thread cam up right now, just as an fyi what would happen if I ran a non bronze cam gear on a billet cam?????????
I think the bronze gear is required because the roller cams are not heat treated the same as a flat tappet cam. Since there is no metal to metal rubbing, the lobes don't need to be as hard, and the dist. drive gear is somewhat softer. A steel gear on a roller cam will eat the drive gear up. The bronze gears are softer than the soft drive gears, and a lot cheaper to replace than the whole camshaft........Ray

1 - 15 of 15 Posts