Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how well you will be able to tell from the pics but when you drop the dist. in it bottoms out on I guess the oil pump before the housing hits the intake. I ordered some shims today is the general idea to have tightened down dist. to set where it is in the pics with no clamp. Or slightly up from that or?? I talked with someone on the boards last night who sugested putting some grease on the gear to see how things are meshing. I'll try that tonite. What about taking a sharpie and coloring the bronze gear on the dist. black. Then run it for 10 or so minutes? I wasn't going to post this up but I'm bored,curious, and thought it may also help someone else now or down the road.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I don't know how well you will be able to tell from the pics but when you drop the dist. in it bottoms out on I guess the oil pump before the housing hits the intake. I ordered some shims today is the general idea to have tightened down dist. to set where it is in the pics with no clamp. Or slightly up from that or?? I talked with someone on the boards last night who sugested putting some grease on the gear to see how things are meshing. I'll try that tonite. What about taking a sharpie and coloring the bronze gear on the dist. black. Then run it for 10 or so minutes? I wasn't going to post this up but I'm bored,curious, and thought it may also help someone else now or down the road.

Number 1- wrong style hold down. Number 2- Look at where the vac can is hitting. M

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the clamp will work just fine once I get shims under the dist. Re the vac can, I just dropped the dist in and shot a pic, that's not exactly where it sits when it's timed. Hopefuly, I can try the sharpie thing and run it this weekend. Maybe you can't tell from the pics but when you drop the dizzy in, it's a good 1/6" from touching the manifold.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, when I picked it up it was running on a stand with 60+ psi. Then I took it home and got lookin at the little spot of oil on the intake by the dist, then I looked closer and could see the the whole dist was leaning to the left(because of the clamp). I could be wrong but I think when I took the intake to get soda blasted it had a black washer like deal in the dist hole, and when I picked it up it was gone. I wish I had payed more attn. before I dropped it off.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
need to get a set of these
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MOR-26215&autoview=sku
Is that manifold for a tall deck?

do yourself a favor and can that hold down. in fact I notice that the manifold will except 2 hold downs, think about getting two like this. Problem with the one you have, is that there is no form of reinforcement to it. It's just a bent piece of metal, and will very easily bend right back. The more you tighten it, the more it straightens out
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MOR-26200&autoview=sku

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
CANT RE MEMBER
1,159 Posts
I learned the hard way, You dont want the dist. to bottom out on the oil pump! It will wipe out the pump. Check it out,maybe it's a tall deck dist. Or somebody machined down the dist. pocket?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also thought of maybe 2 hold downs. Btw it is a tall deck manifold on a tall deck block, dist. is a std height one. Back to my orig question, how much should I shim it up? Just enougph so that when I clamp the dist. down that it's not pushing down on the pump?

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
approx .020 from where it bottoms on the pump. So you need to find out how high it is from setting on the manifold now and add .020 to that to get your total shim thickness.
x2. I would really like it if you could get your hands on a distibutor depth tool.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Oil pump

Dyno time MAY have wiped out the oil pump already. It doesn't take long when the clamp is driving the oil pump drive gear into the cover.......Who installed and ran it that way?...........Look in your oil filter for the chips of steel...........Ray

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My bad

I'm a dumb azz(again). Oldelimator was right when I pulled the dizzy out and took the gasket off to see what was going, and dropped it in it wasn't down on the pump. I guess the reason it was loose and leaking is because of the clamp just like ya all said, thanks for putting up with my ignorance. I found an old stock clamp that looks like it will work if I use it on the other side.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts