Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to up grading the old Mallory dual point, Not quite ready to go fully tilt with the AL box, but was looking at newer mallory's, Pertronix, The MSD HEI, and there plug and play billet deal as well, and was also looking at the DUI's- and thoughts - good or bad- will be greatly appreciated- Mild 454, single carb, mild cam, blah, blah-

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Lots of guys don't like the Mallory Unilite, but I've been running
one on my boat for the past 8 years or so and haven't had any
problems. Also have a buddy that's been running one for the same
length of time.

I just put the same motor (consequently distributor) into my new
to me boat and I'll keep on running it.

The new to me boat came with a MSD 6AL box and I've never had
one before, but it connects to the Mallory with no fuss.

If the Mallory ever does crap out, I'll probably go MSD next time
around. The main reason I didn't go with MSD 8 years ago was due
to financial strife. At the time I bought the unilite brand new for $159
and it didn't need "the box". If I remember right the MSD was about
$200 then.

Now that same Mallory goes for $259. The MSD ready to run
(doesn't need the box) goes for $300 new. The MSD that requires the
box is $232 then tack on another $200 for the box.

Oh yeah this is all Ford info.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
I am looking to up grading the old Mallory dual point, Not quite ready to go fully tilt with the AL box, but was looking at newer mallory's, Pertronix, The MSD HEI, and there plug and play billet deal as well, and was also looking at the DUI's- and thoughts - good or bad- will be greatly appreciated- Mild 454, single carb, mild cam, blah, blah-
Not trying to change your mind here but...what kind of RPM are you turning?
*Do you know the "correct" way to set that dual point up? Because it does make a difference!
I've had one on my boat for 9 years...it starts fast, never misses a beat and to 5,200 RPM it's waaaay within operating range meaning they can easily take much more RPM without question.
Heck back in the early 70's my 10:10 BBC 1969 Chevelle had one and that engine spun much higher than 5200.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
I've also been running the Mallory Magnetic pickup for a few yrs without any issues whatsoever on my BBC.

when it was time for me to get the ignition, I went into CP Performance and had all the MSD stuff I needed in hand. The 2 customers in front of me that one Saturday both had failed boxes they were trying to return. I put the MSD back and grabbed the Mallory. That was about 6 yrs ago, don't know what went wrong with the MSD's those guys had but I just didn't want any problems.
I also figured since I was running a very mild BBC that the Mallory would do just fine. It did and has been ever since.
I also agree with Mojave. I've heard a lot of good things about the RTR MSD disty.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had the Mallory dual point too. I ended up ditching the points and throwing in a Pertronix unit. Cheap, simple, and it works great. No need to buy a new dizzy. You can spin the engine as far as it can go and it wont skip a beat. One less adjustment to F. with too,which is good. Also its the best route to go if you run a lid. So far 3 years trouble free.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I wouldn't have had to replace mine but when I had it out of the motor I decided to pull the rotor and replace it and had one heck of time. When I did get the rotor off I noticed that the end of the shaft looked a little mushroomed over. Looked and the other end and it had been beat on with something damned hard and it was not only mushroomed over but had dents in it. The shaft was hard to turn as well so I just ditched it and bought a new one. Got the timing set visually and when I put the motor back together and reinstalled in the boat and after making sure the new carb was t properly, it fired right up. Timing was easy as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Answering Hammerdowns question, I have no Idea how to set up the dual point deal- I can not find any info on the distributor that I have, based off the number stamped on the side, I figure it was an old model that was no longer available- thus thinking that a conversion kit might not be compatable- so I began looking at the new drop in didios- any thoughts on the DUI's???

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Answering Hammerdowns question, I have no Idea how to set up the dual point deal- I can not find any info on the distributor that I have, based off the number stamped on the side, I figure it was an old model that was no longer available- thus thinking that a conversion kit might not be compatable- so I began looking at the new drop in didios- any thoughts on the DUI's???
First off, DON'T get one. Your insurance will go through the roof. :D

Secondly, what make is your dist? Mallory's web site is very strange. You go to the Marine side and you can't find the marine dist. that I bought, but you can find it on their high performance side. I think Summitracing.com can also help you lineout the parts for the conversion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just picked up one of the Pertronix plug and plays(marine version). I haven't installed it yet but it looks like a high quality piece and allows me to ditch the ballast resistor and has only 2 wires to hook up. At my door for just $237 bucks.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Can't say enough good things about my MSD pro billet marine ready to run.

If you have no real need for a rev-limiter, you have no real need for the MSD box.

MSD pro billet r2r and high-vibration coil, set of Super Conductor wires too, then forget about it. It just starts, every time, reliable as a brick.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I will never run anything but MSD. My 6al and distributor were under water for three weeks. Pulled it out on a Friday, cleaned and dried everything and fired it on Saturday:)devil:)devil

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you watch Ebay the 6al and 6a go for pretty good deals. I just sold a brand new 6al for $180 shipped and a 6a for $130 shipped. I do have a new Crane digital ready too run dist. for sale for $230. Similar to the MSD Ecurve and requires no box. Check ebay for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
I would love to go full MSD, just trying to justify the $$$$$-
Some people suggest to carry a spare box $$$ just in case.:)st
I know my friend need one when his 6AM Marine (blue box) took a crap out on the river. And yes it was hooked up properly with a good ground.
MSD finally did give him a new one but he was off the water for a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts