Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, weve decided after this heatwave out here in Menifee that we really need a swimming pool. Something small with a rock theme, jacuzzi, and swim-up bar is all we really need. I really cant find a good reason to pay a general 100% markup to do what I could do myself.

Just curious if anybody has done this,and what im getting myself into? Also if you have any names/numbers of the good guys in the pool construction business that would be great?

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
OK, weve decided after this heatwave out here in Menifee that we really need a swimming pool. Something small with a rock theme, jacuzzi, and swim-up bar is all we really need. I really cant find a good reason to pay a general 100% markup to do what I could do myself.

Just curious if anybody has done this,and what im getting myself into? Also if you have any names/numbers of the good guys in the pool construction business that would be great?
you gonna bite off more than you can chew. id say the hardest part is gonna be the gunite. there is a science to that very diff to do special equipment need to spray the walls and form the copeing. digging a hole is the easy part. rebarb and gunite will lay a whoopin on someone. good luck

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
i tow for jeff kerber pools and woody douglas gunite i can get you there numbers tomorrow kerber is in pomona/clairmont and douglas is up in devore

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Being an owner/builder can definitely save you some money, but you need to do a lot of homework on picking subs. Also plan on spending a lot of time babysitting their work and keeping them on schedule.

I would spec it out and get bids on the different work, and also get bids on what pool builders would charge you and then compare to see what the cost savings are and if you thought it would be worth it. Trust me, they aren't getting a 100% mark up.

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
I think you mean your just gonna contract it yourself right. Not do the work. You can do it but remember when you do this if you make a decision its on you because your the G.C. There is a lot of phone calls and trips to material yard and dealing with the inspector.
Good Luck. BTW I don't know any good pool guys.

·
MEDIUM PIMPIN!!!
1,494 Posts

Honestly.......... Don't do it. After you get it in, pay or keep up with the maintenance, and all the other shenanigans that go with it, you'll wish you spent the money on a game room and ran the air more. But.........I'm just sayin. I have a pool and we go in spurts in using it. They just become a pain in the ass. I'm just sayin though.............:)sphss

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Honestly.......... Don't do it. After you get it in, pay or keep up with the maintenance, and all the other shenanigans that go with it, you'll wish you spent the money on a game room and ran the air more. But.........I'm just sayin. I have a pool and we go in spurts in using it. They just become a pain in the ass. I'm just sayin though.............:)sphss
You can dig the hole but leave the rebar, gunnite, plaster and pipes to a pro.

Ive had 4 pools in my lifetime and the above statement is mostly true.

To make it useable and not be a complete pain you need to invest heavily in-

solar & a Heater
a chlorinator or a rola-chem feeding system or both
an automation system
a cleaning system (not in ground but a combo of products to skim and vac)
Really good late model variable speed or flow pumps.

Skip any of this and its constant work and misery- invest correctly and be rewarded

I put exactly 15 minutes of labor a week into my pool and DONT have a pool guy, but it took 4 pools worth of experimenting on components to finally get it right.

Uncle Dave

·
Premium Member
368 Posts

Magic 28

10 years ago had a pool built by Blue Fountain, never saw the general or anyone that worked for the company, all just subs, did an OK Job, but realized it was pretty easy. So... I built my last two, and had fun doing it.

I'm right down the street in Murrieta, I know a local company that does the excavating, steel and gunite, also the plans are pretty inexpensive ($175) from pool engineering (basic plans) in Garden Grove. I saved a lot of money, PM me for the Sub list if you want them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We live in Temecula and had a pool built last year. It is a great time to get one built, as most pool builders are hurting for business and will give you very fare bids....thousands and thousands less than they were quoting 5 years ago, trust me i know this because i pulled out the bids i recieved for the same pools, from the same companies 5 years ago and compared them to the bids last year. Anyways, the company is local, and if you want i can PM or post his info. I do not suggest doing it on your own, way to much work from what i saw during the build.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Magic 28
Call Ted Metzger of Metzger Pools at 951/756-3780 he is local.

He's very cool tells it like it is and he dose owner builder pools where you do all the run around getting permits plans and he lines up all the subs quickly.

We did our pool 2-years ago with him and saved a lot of money with no problems. As for build total build time 3-weeks to complete and be swimming.

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
I think you mean being the GC. My brother in law did this last summer and had very little issues, mainly keeping tabs on when the subs were there or not. He is very detail oriented and looked every subs contract over with a microscope. If your not a detail freak or you dont have experience in the contracting biz (so you can tell when your geeting bent over) dont do it. You'll pay more in the end because you didnt foresee what an experienced contractor can. You have to have a couple pool contractors give you bids, compare those to the cost of doing it yourself. Contractors are very very hungry right now, especially in luxury items like pools. You can find a helluva deal right now. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Magic 28
Call Ted Metzger of Metzger Pools at 951/756-3780 he is local.

He's very cool tells it like it is and he dose owner builder pools where you do all the run around getting permits plans and he lines up all the subs quickly.

We did our pool 2-years ago with him and saved a lot of money with no problems. As for build total build time 3-weeks to complete and be swimming.

3 weeks from dirt to swimming? Including fill and startup?

curious...how many days did you let the plaster cure?

WOW. Your guy is the man.

Never seen that timeframe met in my life.
Ive seen a month and 5 days never three weeks.

Awesome.

UD

·
Registered
208 Posts
3 weeks from dirt to swimming? Including fill and startup?

curious...how many days did you let the plaster cure?

WOW. Your guy is the man.

Never seen that timeframe met in my life.
Ive seen a month and 5 days never three weeks.

Awesome.

UD
No time needed to let plaster cure you fill it with water when they are done.
Right after digging the hole that day the Plummer was setting pipes and he was scheduling steal. It was crazy fast.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My wife works at a great Pool Plumbing Company that provides lots of work for many pool developers. Feel free to call her. I am sure she could help answer a lot of your questions.

Pacific Pool Plumbing
Corona, CA
951-735-7844
Angela

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
No time needed to let plaster cure you fill it with water when they are done.
Right after digging the hole that day the Plummer was setting pipes and he was scheduling steal. It was crazy fast.
I respectfully disagree.

Once the plaster guys walk - you fill the pool and your done with the plaster and your pool construction is finished, but you arent ready to swim yet.

It still has to cure and you need to brush the hell out of it for weeks.

The new uncured plaster "sluffs off" powder this powder clouds the water and radically alters chemistry for at LEAST a week minimum. White plaster is more forgiving- skip this on colored plaster and you pool lools like a mangy dog.

You shouldn't just jump in once its filled tempting as it may be.

You may have gotten lucky but I would not advise anyone to skip the curing brushing stage.

UD

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you mean your just gonna contract it yourself right. Not do the work. You can do it but remember when you do this if you make a decision its on you because your the G.C. There is a lot of phone calls and trips to material yard and dealing with the inspector.
Good Luck. BTW I don't know any good pool guys.
Yes I would just sub out all the work just like the General would do. I would probably take care of the clean-up, irrigation, and landscaping only.

·
Registered
129 Posts

I have done some owner/builder consulting and project management on several pools, not rocket science as long as your subs are good. As someone mentioned, with the economy as it is I'm sure you could get a very fair deal with a little shopping around. I don't think you would save that much as owner/builder right now.

·
639 Posts
Call Ted Metzger, he has supervised several owner/builder deals. I think a couple people have used him on the boards. 951-756-3780

Mike Metzger is his son.

·
Premium Member
3,136 Posts

I am getting ready to start one here soon ,My buddy knows all the subs and they have plans also. let me know

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ted Metzger is a no bullshit kind of guy you really need to know what you want and really want to do something before calling him out. He's kind of like working with my dad he can see bull shit from a mile away. My wife changed a bunch of stuff a drove him nuts he said it was like wroking with his wife. If I built another one I would use him again.

On our project my wife was the GC on ours since I was working. She went to get the plans from some pool engineering place in Anaheim and over for permits to start.As for getting the subs lined up Metzger was kick ass. He basicly gave us cost figures for each and they were always under when it came time to pay.

18x38 8ft-deep saltwater all flat work fire-pit 31k. Saved about 15k and have never had to call him back for one thing and we are going on our 2nd year.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

I did not go all crazy I just wanted something to jump in an cool off when I was working on the boat on the side of the house or hanging out in the yard.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts