Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've emailed this pic to one place,(for fitment) and they haven't got back to me yet. Is it safe to assume that all bottom mount mini's are a gear reduction type? Is it also safe to assume that a gear reduction type will have a slower cranking speed? I have a hunch the answer to that last question is...unless you have big bucks. :)Unsure

·
Registered
436 Posts
starter

I'm running a mini starter in my 85 daytona and it doesn't look much different than yours for room but I have the engine out so I can't compare. It uses a short bolt on the outside.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running a mini starter in my 85 daytona and it doesn't look much different than yours for room but I have the engine out so I can't compare. It uses a short bolt on the outside.
The first place I looked at it didn't look like it would fit, the starter was 3.25" deep without the bolt head. Do you or anyone think the kickout on the oil pan will be an issue??

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
See if this would help and please let me know if you need some measurements. The billet block measures a touch over 3 1/4" and the unit is clockable so it gives you some wiggleroom too.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See if this would help and please let me know if you need some measurements. The billet block measures a touch over 3 1/4" and the unit is clockable so it gives you some wiggleroom too.

Thanks John....see where you're starter overhangs to the side of the block an inch or so. Thats gonna kill me....although I do own a grinder.lol Btw the gaskets sleek put up fit my headers like a glove, if your borals are like my basset's, they fit tits.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
went and measured it. The billet block only overhangs 5/8" from the edge of the block. Looking at your picture you would have zero problems with this starter (IMHO).

PS....I can't imagine you'd have any cranking issues either.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
There's a guy in Parker behind the Chevron station that builds starters similar to the one above at a fair price.

I have two of them on a shelf that need solinoids if your interested.

You might need to go to a top mount, I did and much better and the end of my starter problems.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
I dunno.. it may fit.
Is the width the your tape 1"? If so, let me take your measurements and mark it out on my starter and maybe you can get a visual of whether something like mine will fit.

The billet block is solid and you could easily trim it as well.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
There's a guy in Parker behind the Chevron station that builds starters similar to the one above at a fair price.

I have two of them on a shelf that need solinoids if your interested.

You might need to go to a top mount, I did and much better and the end of my starter problems.
What starter did you end up with?? Here is a shot of my top mount. I just need to try something else....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VHZM3dMvQo
Edit: the pinion on the starter is 10 or less starts old, and the flexplate was new in july.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
My motor mounts via a motor plate in the rear. we had to do some machining on the bell housing to get the correct engagement depth but this has worked flawlessly for four years on both motors. Before I was replacing a starter every 2 months and it was a bitch to do on the starboard motor. I used a quality marine starter and of course, counter rotating. Oh, and as I recall the flywheel had to be machined to mount the ring gear on the back half of the flywheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
you can brace the back of your starter and that will stop all wobble and add lots of life to your starter and ring gear. thats what I did. my 2 cents

Attachments

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the width the your tape 1"? If so, let me take your measurements and mark it out on my starter and maybe you can get a visual of whether something like mine will fit.

The billet block is solid and you could easily trim it as well.
Yep ..it's a 1 inch tape. I assume half way between the 1st pic, and the 2nd pic, is what I'd end up with(between 3.25 and 2.375ish). Like I said I have a grinder.lol

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Yep ..it's a 1 inch tape. I assume half way between the 1st pic, and the 2nd pic, is what I'd end up with(between 3.25 and 2.375ish). Like I said I have a grinder.lol
K, If you want, I'll do some measuring tomorrow night and mark it off.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
How about you send me your address and I send you one. If it works its yours. Can you afford$ 0?:D

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
thats a good deal there! anyways, used to sell tilton starters at my shop
gave one to a buddy that had a placecraft, it fit, but you had to pull the motor to change it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts