Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just revieved a nice set of classic cast iron frying pans we'd like to use at the river.

After years of Teflon pans, it's going to be a trick to master these I can see.

Any break-in tips, or is that just folklore?

What's the trick to make cast iron work and easier to live with?
Do you really "Break them in?"

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
My father use to coat them with oil and let them bake at what temp not sure, this coats the pan for a long time, contact somone where you bought them or at William-Sonoma, they will advise you. My mom still uses three very old pans to this day.

·
I am Roger..the Shrubber
1,080 Posts
I just revieved a nice set of classic cast iron frying pans we'd like to use at the river.

After years of Teflon pans, it's going to be a trick to master these I can see.

Any break-in tips, or is that just folklore?

What's the trick to make cast iron work and easier to live with?
Do you really "Break them in?"
I always cure my cast iron grills with olive oil soaked on a rag. Wipe them down and heat them up. Seems to help. I'm not sure if the process for pans would work but I don't see why not.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
use OIL
pending on what you cook in it. I use cannola oil. wipe it down then bake it for an hour or less at 350. don't get it too hot as you don't want to burn the oil.

I have a seperate one for FISH

don't mix them.....

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Yea you have to season the pan by putting some oil in and heating it up. Then let it cool and wipe it out with a towel. Don't scrub it with soap and water after use. Just wipe it out and put away. A lot of cast iron pans come seasoned from the factory so check it out.

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
cast iron rocks :) warm up the oven to around 200 deg. let the pan sit in there for a hour - ( opens up all the pore's ) coat with oil (vegi oil ) NOT 50wt ff the oven and let it sit in there over night . ps ya can't wreck em , you will only have to re seal them if you get it tooo hoooooott :) don't use soap when you clean them . keep it seasoned ! when your done cooking pour out what ever is left on , then add water and put it back on the stove , bring to a boil, scrape out till clean, dump rinse , dry ( on stove) add oil , store !

·
Senior Moment Member
478 Posts
Yes, you have to season the cast iron. I use beef fat to season them with. Make sure (if they are new) to wash them really good first. Then rub the fat all over the inside of the pan and put them in a 500 degree oven for about 2 hours. Let it cool and repeat the process (WITHOUT the washing part) two or three more times. After you use the skillet wash with warm soapy water, do NOT scrub with a scotch brite or any other type of scrubbing sponge etc... Take a paper towel and wipe the inside of pan with a fine coat of vegetable oil and put it away. Every time you do this it will keep the season on the pan

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
You sure can wreck them, Lucky. Maybe not by seasoning them, but they are not indestructible. My buddy and I went on an overnight fishing trip to San Luis Res. We grabbed his mom's favorite large two hands to pick it up been in the family forever frying pan. We cooked up the evening chow in it over the Coleman stove. We ate and kept on fishing. Beer flowing, poles baited up in the water, all is quiet except for the hiss from the lantern. Then TING!!!!! WTF? Scared the crap out of us. Looking all over the place for what made that sound. The pan split in two!! Never heard anything like it. Mom wasn't happy at all. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
and NEVER ever let it soak in the sink. clean it soon after cooking in it and wipe clean. best fried potatos in the world are from the ole cast iron skillet;)

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
It's all I use. I got so tired of spending big money on teflon "lifetime guarantee" stuff and have the teflon eventually lift even though I babied them. No babying on the cast iron. If it ever gets to where you just can't get the stuff off, throw it in the fire pit. To season them, I used to do the oven thing, but I've found over the years that all you need to do is spray a TON of Pam on them when you first use them and less after. You will need to use Pam, or cooking spray with everything you cook on them, most likely. The extra benefit of cast iron is that whenever you cook, a little iron comes off and gets in your food, giving you an added iron supplement in your diet.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
You sure can wreck them, Lucky. Maybe not by seasoning them, but they are not indestructible. My buddy and I went on an overnight fishing trip to San Luis Res. We grabbed his mom's favorite large two hands to pick it up been in the family forever frying pan. We cooked up the evening chow in it over the Coleman stove. We ate and kept on fishing. Beer flowing, poles baited up in the water, all is quiet except for the hiss from the lantern. Then TING!!!!! WTF? Scared the crap out of us. Looking all over the place for what made that sound. The pan split in two!! Never heard anything like it. Mom wasn't happy at all. :D
If you can break a frying pan, you could break a hammer..............:)hammers

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Am I the only freak who takes at least one, and my favorite spices and knife, to Havi or even camping?

As others stated, throw any type of cooking oil on it, heat it up and time takes care of the rest.

I also scrub the crap out of mine with scotch pads and soap, they don't hurt them. If amything sticks, in goes more oil (always a good thing).

Cook on:)devil

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
If you get some hard to remove food residue, scour with salt and a dish rag. Wipe it dry and wipe with oil. Never wash with hot water and soap or you'll have to re-season all over again.

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
If you get some hard to remove food residue, scour with salt and a dish rag. Wipe it dry and wipe with oil. Never wash with hot water and soap or you'll have to re-season all over again.
I wash mine with hot water and soap all the time. You must use some pretty powerful soap!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts