Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a couple of opinions around town where I live. Is it a wives tale about valves getting warped if you dont plug the zoomies after running an engine? And what do you use to plug them?

norcal73

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
I have heard a couple of opinions around town where I live. Is it a wives tale about valves getting warped if you dont plug the zoomies after running an engine? And what do you use to plug them?

norcal73
Tennis balls or racket balls depending on the tubes. & no it won't hurt the valves to have em open. Pulgging them just keeps crap out of the tubes like dirt dobbers.

1,011 Posts
I've been running zoomies since '97. Haven't had a warped valve yet. Problem I've had with these aluminum heads is exhaust valve seats rusting. I had 2 valves show up on a leak down test. Rust was the reason. At the end of the season I would remove the zoomies and oil the exhaust valves then back off the rockers. I'm thinking the rust may be starting while the boat sits between races with the valves set and no covers. Just a guess.

Tim

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
I think so. If you have an open ex valve, the cylinder (raw cast iron) is far more exposed to any moisture in the air (and any other elements) than with even a set of OT headers which IMO should also be covered when the engine is sitting.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
We use WD 40 lids. They all red but tennis balls work too.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you just bark it in the garage it take 2 minutes for them to all stop bouncing, and ONE is guaranteed to hit you.
I think that is the funniest thing I've ever seen you type. I think you should hire a temp guy, hide a camera, and film it. :happy:

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
We use WD 40 lids. They all red but tennis balls work too.
If you just bark it in the garage it take 2 minutes for them to all stop bouncing, and ONE is guaranteed to hit you.
Only missed pulling them off in the pits once, they flew over both rigs parked on either side of us! Oopps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts