Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposed to be good for 200 hp. But kinda spendy @ $10k

Chevy big block motor with Arao 32v heads. Heads bolt onto all 454, 502 or larger big block Chevy’s. All high performance camshafts can be used. All standard flat top pistons can be used up to 11.0:1 compression ratio. Higher compression pistons available from all piston manufacturers. 8 exhaust ports on each head is standard. Adapter available to bring 8 ports into 4 so standard headers can be used. Intake ports are higher than Big Chief heads. Special sheet metal intake manifold is needed. Heads are fully water jacketed billet aluminum.

http://www.araoengineering.com/Chevy/chevybb.htm

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
TOO EXPENSIVE....If they were all that great, you would see alot more than you do:)bulb
hey have been around for a long time-long enough to prove themselves worthwhile--IF
THEY WERE.....

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Offshore stuff

TOO EXPENSIVE....If they were all that great, you would see alot more than you do:)bulb
hey have been around for a long time-long enough to prove themselves worthwhile--IF
THEY WERE.....
I talked with the owner a while back. He was/is concentrating on the big inch offshore stuff. I couldn't interest him in any flatbottom power plant experimentation/R&D.... Very impressive pieces with spaceage technology......
Ray

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
I talked with the owner a while back. He was/is concentrating on the big inch offshore stuff. I couldn't interest him in any flatbottom power plant experimentation/R&D.... Very impressive pieces with spaceage technology......
Ray
"couldn't interest him in any "flatbottom R&D" I'll give you an "A" for effort tho':)devil
NICE TRY:)hand

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Supposed to be good for 200 hp. But kinda spendy @ $10k

Chevy big block motor with Arao 32v heads. Heads bolt onto all 454, 502 or larger big block Chevy’s. All high performance camshafts can be used. All standard flat top pistons can be used up to 11.0:1 compression ratio. Higher compression pistons available from all piston manufacturers. 8 exhaust ports on each head is standard. Adapter available to bring 8 ports into 4 so standard headers can be used. Intake ports are higher than Big Chief heads. Special sheet metal intake manifold is needed. Heads are fully water jacketed billet aluminum.

http://www.araoengineering.com/Chevy/chevybb.htm
Be real careful dealing with this company. I heard the previous incarnation of it took quite a few folks money and never shipped any product. Arao had a booth at SEMA this year and I was not impressed at all with the finish work of its heads.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Be real careful dealing with this company. I heard the previous incarnation of it took quite a few folks money and never shipped any product. Arao had a booth at SEMA this year and I was not impressed at all with the finish work of its heads.
I had a good dealing with them. I took my heads to him for new valves and seats. Good price, very friendly, good turn around time. I'm not saying what cyclone said isn't true or not. I had a good experience.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
sure your not talking about "aeroheads"?

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Russ Arao has been working on those heads for around twenty years. As I recall, he was into Porsches earlier on and then got into designing his own cylinder head. I do think they have the potential to make a lot of power. I think the Arao heads didn't become popular for several reasons, but I don't care to express those reasons here and now. There have been some horror stories about getting orders filled, a la Bitz-type experiences.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
These will kick their ass everyday, and twice on race Sunday.
In a blown application or when tilting the can, most certainly. :)grn

In an naturally aspirated application, it might be a diffferent story...but then again, the two wildly different heads are hardly in the same "application family," if you know what I mean. :p Yes, for my money I'd go with the Arias stuff for aaaall the other reasons you mentioned ("all the supporting parts, pistons manifolds, blower manifolds and etc are readily available.")

LO

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
In "theory" the pent roof design is very efficient. Something about less surface area per?? Or less cc per valve size? (2) 2.02 valves gives WAY MORE area than (1) 2.5 Thats about all I know.
Obvioulsy the center plug is a winner.
Wags

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
In a blown application or when tilting the can, most certainly. :)grn

In an naturally aspirated application, it might be a diffferent story...but then again, the two wildly different heads are hardly in the same "application family," if you know what I mean. :p Yes, for my money I'd go with the Arias stuff for aaaall the other reasons you mentioned ("all the supporting parts, pistons manifolds, blower manifolds and etc are readily available.")

LO
Funny you would say that. There is some talk on another thread that seems to think there is no need for heads of this type on boosted deals:)sphss
I agree, even blown on gas, its still hard to beat a good BBC head. But alky or lite nitro loads, they work.
In "theory" the pent roof design is very efficient. Something about less surface area per?? Or less cc per valve size? (2) 2.02 valves gives WAY MORE area than (1) 2.5 Thats about all I know.
Obvioulsy the center plug is a winner.
Wags
Pents are pretty much the only choice with 4 valves. A true hemi has less surface area than a pent. But you play hell trying to get 4 valves in a true hemi. Honda (MC)pulled it off, but dropped the deal after about 2 years and went back to a pent. The one issue with the 4 valve pent is you still have valves with one side up against the cylinder wall as it opens. Which the hemi and Honda 4 valve hemi do not. The side of the valve nearest the wall travels away from the wall as it opens. Honda tried to beat that problem with an oblong piston for the pent 4 valve.. Dropped that one also.
Seems lately, aside from nitro and possibly alky deals, that the figure 8 hemi lay out is the choice due to having a quench pad(s).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
I know there was another "32 valve head" out a while back, but my old brain is fartin'
again:)sphss GN, I KNOW YOU KNOW! was it Batten? or somthing like that.....:p

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I know there was another "32 valve head" out a while back, but my old brain is fartin'
again:)sphss GN, I KNOW YOU KNOW! was it Batten? or somthing like that.....:p
I think Batten only made them for small blocks. Battens big claim to fame was in Oldsmobubbles. I want to think there was another small block 4 valve head, but it doesn't jump into mind right now either.
Chet (Doug) Herbert sells "hemi" heads for small and big Fords and chevys, but I think they are the Araos
Barry Grant was(did) make a 3 valve for the SBC.

The Gennie shifter "cammer covers"l):ameReality

Araos deal is, they make them for a number of motors.
But Arao isn't the only game in town for the SBC.
LINK:Summit 4 valve head

And then there were the "16" valve hil:)hil:) Larson valve covers for faking it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Attachments

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Chet Herbert sells "hemi" heads for... big Fords...but I think they are the Araos...
I'm pretty sure that Herberts BBF heads are his own:

Much of the valve train area looks Boss-based in concept, but in billet form. I am aware of a few "engineering obstacles" that had to be R&D'd out of them (I won't get into the details) as they were being used over the first few seasons by a guy I know, and Herbert was fully supportive throughout that R&D process. I have more pictures of a bare unused head, can't post them.

To see and hear a 9500 rpm pass, turn on your speakers and click HERE.

LO

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Herberts BBF heads are his own:

Much of the valve train area looks Boss-based in concept, but in billet form. I am aware of a few "engineering obstacles" that had to be R&D'd out of them (I won't get into the details) as they were being used over the first few seasons by a guy I know, and Herbert was fully supportive throughout that R&D process. I have more pictures of a bare unused head, can't post them.
To see and hear a 9500 rpm pass, turn on your speakers and click HERE.

LO
Those are some bad azz heads he developed there. I was refering to the the fact that he sells "hemi" heads for SBC BBC, BBF, and SBF. I believe those are Arao heads.

Herberts Boss deals are are WHOLE other story.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
We had a set of McGee 4V heads in the shop once, and it was immediately obvious, as with most of these 4V conversions, that if these guys actually knew how to design a port for more than just getting the air from point A to point B, these heads would be dangerous.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Merc uses 4 valve heads on their 1350hp turbo'd 552cid.

Crankshaft-rated Horsepower 1350 (1006 kW)
Full Throttle RPM Ranqe 6000-6500
Displacement Liter/CID 9.0/552
Bore (in/mm) 4.57/116
Stroke (in/mm) 4.21/107
Compression Ratio 7.8:1
Cylinders V-8
Alternator (amp/watt) 105/1481
Controller PCM distributorless
Fuel System Sequential Fuel Injection
Fuel Requirements 91 Octane Minimum (R+M)/2 (98 RON) Global Calibration
Transmission Mercury Racinq dry-sump hydraulic
Drive Unit Dry-sump M8
Gear Ratio Application dependent (contact Mercury Racing
for additional information)
Length (in/mm) 26.69/678 (from back of block)
Width (in/mm) 34/864
Heiqht (in/mm) 29/737 (from crankshaft centerline)
Weight (lbs/kg) 1720/782
Warranty 1-year limited for recreational boating

1 - 20 of 38 Posts