Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 402. Was wondering if anyone on here has done one? What heads? I'm going aluminum.. Pistons, crank rods cam ect...

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
The build is going to depend on what you want to do with it,, what type of boat, fuel, RPM range, and intended usage all help dictate how you should build the engine. I have a 402 in my Vega wagon, but would build it differently if it was going into a boat.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point.. On the stock 402 with a 750 holly the pump ran 5200 (mph?)(stock panther pump) so I have some room here. I'm going to send the pump off this winter to be rebuilt and blueprinted and AT kit jetovader ect..
It's in a 79 Anthony hull 800lbs. (same as..Tahiti super tiger) it runs good gets out of the hole good ect. Still want pump gas and to keep the single 750 holly just want it strong and to sound killer! More show then go.. But want it to last a grip.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I'm building a 402. Was wondering if anyone on here has done one? What heads? I'm going aluminum.. Pistons, crank rods cam ect...
i would get with Ray (moneypit)...he has a sweet/strong runnin' 402 in a 18' Tahiti jet...last time i was in it, it ran 55 GPS with a carb issue...probably does 60ish now :)...you could also build a 410 c.i. (.060) which might take better advantage of the alum heads!...just sayin' my .02 cents

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
Good point.. On the stock 402 with a 750 holly the pump ran 5200 (mph?)(stock panther pump) so I have some room here. I'm going to send the pump off this winter to be rebuilt and blueprinted and AT kit jetovader ect..
It's in a 79 Anthony hull 800lbs. (same as..Tahiti super tiger) it runs good gets out of the hole good ect. Still want pump gas and to keep the single 750 holly just want it strong and to sound killer! More show then go.. But want it to last a grip.
If you are going to spend money on aluminum heads, why not go ahead and build a 454. Wouldn't cost much to get a 2 bolt block, machine work and pistons should be the same cost, and it should give you an extra 50 HP even on a mild build.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are going to spend money on aluminum heads, why not go ahead and build a 454. Wouldn't cost much to get a 2 bolt block, machine work and pistons should be the same cost, and it should give you an extra 50 HP even on a mild build.
I would run a 454 ( I have a 4 bolt ) but the guy that I got this motor from screwed me out of a lot of money.. Long story short- just making a point! So I'll throw 5k into it just for show.. I know it doesn't make since.. And for some reason every time I try to go fast in a jet I fail!! Lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts