Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm trying to come up with some sort of grab handle in our runner bottom for the passenger, does anybody have any good suggestions? or pics of how their handles are?, i'm not putting anything in the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Kinda hard to see in this under construction pic but I incorperated one on my v-drive plate at the top when I replaced it and added the prop release . . . .

vdrive.jpg

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hey yeah attach a loop of webbing to the bottom of the seat front it would hardly be noticeable and no dash holes by golly that's what I'm going to do with mine those small nylon straps you know? Different colors and all put a grommet in it bolt it on and boingo grab handle/life jacket holder clip the jacket to it :) Thanks for the idea.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
I have had them both on the dash and under the seat right between your legs but low enough so legs don't quite touch them. Close to seat so easy to reach down and grab for passenger. Top of vdrive is another good option depending on vdrive location relative to seat. Just some ideas.

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
I think something to put your feet on to push back in the seat is important...when the driver decides to peel out...your feet can be left flopping all over the floor..jmo

·
Registered
722 Posts
I found it's alot more for-giving to go with a straight bar vs those square handle things you see for sale on here....

here is mine.. I just took some round stock cut to length and drilled and tapped... slick a butter, works AWESOME!

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I put mine right on the dash and covered up an existing gauge hole I didn't need,

I can't see anything with a Ford motor as pulling hard enough to require a grab bar LMAO :D

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
For whatever my .02 is worth I've found that mounting them low is an advantage as it helps to pull you down into seat. And like RCL said, having foot rests is nice as it allows you to push your butt back into the seat, which is nice if you have to slow down abruptly. I found some rounded stainless door handles that worked ok. Post up some pics after you get them done so we can see your ideas. :))THumbsUp

·
3,246 Posts
This worked pretty good in my old flat

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I found it's alot more for-giving to go with a straight bar vs those square handle things you see for sale on here....

here is mine.. I just took some round stock cut to length and drilled and tapped... slick a butter, works AWESOME!

The round bar that you have in these pictures scare the hell out of me. Your passenger could get impaled on that real easy in a quick departure from the boat. Really purdy boat though :thumb: I added a 7" grab handle mounted on the side of the hull and a pedal on the floor for my passengers.

Steve

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have seen people use the top bolts of the v drive case. Put spacers and longer bolts then cut a handle out if flat plat aluminum and mount it.. Looks good and easy to do then you can polish or anodize to match the other hardware..

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
This worked pretty good in my old flat

This type grab with foot pedals is what we had in the cracker I rode it. I'd hold it with one hand and under the gunnels with the other, while pushing back on the foot pedals. That combined with some serious butt puckering kept me in the boat.... :shock:

I think something to put your feet on to push back in the seat is important...when the driver decides to peel out...your feet can be left flopping all over the floor..jmo
Yup, I concur...
I have seen people use the top bolts of the v drive case. Put spacers and longer bolts then cut a handle out if flat plat aluminum and mount it.. Looks good and easy to do then you can polish or anodize to match the other hardware..
If I was a good person, I'd do one of these like Wally describes. Of course I don't have shit in my boat to help the passenger but people still wanna ride.... Go figure :)devil

·
world's oldest teenager
685 Posts
Coming from the cracker Box world, this is how I did it. Works pretty well, so say my passengers anyway.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
I just did what RCL mentions above on my boat last weekend. I used those pegs all the BMX bikes have on their axle studs. You can get all different styles, colors, metals and even some composite. The ones I use have a flange on the end with a 3/8" hole in them center. Made it real easy to mount on each side of my stringer and gives the passenger a good foot rest without having them too obtrusive. I think I paid $9 for them.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Foot "pegs"...

I just did what RCL mentions above on my boat last weekend. I used those pegs all the BMX bikes have on their axle studs. You can get all different styles, colors, metals and even some composite. The ones I use have a flange on the end with a 3/8" hole in them center. Made it real easy to mount on each side of my stringer and gives the passenger a good foot rest without having them too obtrusive. I think I paid $9 for them.
Not a nice v drive, but I used Motorcycle passenger foot "pegs" in my jetboat for the rear facing seat passengers.. They fold up out of the way when not in use, and give those rear seat passengers something to keep them from being thrown out the back of the boat under multiple "G" force loads during the blinding acceleration.... :D....AND, yeah, I finally put a "sissy" handle on the dash. After about 30 years without one, it is greatly appreciated... As RCL said, for a quick v drive, the foot "pedals" are great and give the passenger a little more secure feeling when they can push their ass deeper into the seat..... Just be careful how much "leg" goes under the dash....Assuming you'll be able to overcome the forces trying to throw you out CAN be worse than getting wet, AND, RINGS and handles CAN be dangerous....
Ray

1 - 20 of 31 Posts