Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 12 year old Siberian Husky is suffering from hip dysplasia/arthritis. She doesn't run as fast or for as long as she used too. Of course that comes with age, but in the past couple of weeks we have noticed that she is having trouble getting up to stand. She is on a daily dose of aspirin to alleviate the pain and discomfort, but she still whines some evenings and it breaks my heart. Because of her age, surgery isn't an option. She is 12 years old and the life span of her breed is 10-14 years.

Has anyone on here experienced this with thier dogs? How did you treat it? And lastly, how fast does this problem progess? I just don't want her to suffer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Our 12 year old Siberian Husky is suffering from hip dysplasia/arthritis. She doesn't run as fast or for as long as she used too. Of course that comes with age, but in the past couple of weeks we have noticed that she is having trouble getting up to stand. She is on a daily dose of aspirin to alleviate the pain and discomfort, but she still whines some evenings and it breaks my heart. Because of her age, surgery isn't an option. She is 12 years old and the life span of her breed is 10-14 years.

Has anyone on here experienced this with thier dogs? How did you treat it? And lastly, how fast does this problem progess? I just don't want her to suffer.
It usually does not get better! its hard but you should put the dog down!

·
MyMmbersBIGGERThnUrMember
150 Posts

Hey there! I have owned dogs my whole life as well as do boarding, walking, training, etc. There are some things you can do

1. Keep your dog on a diet, even if he/she is only slightly overweight, put her on a diet! It is much better for an older dog with hip or leg issues to be underweight than over weight.

2. I would recommend not taking her on walks, if you must maybe a very small one, but the less excersize the better. Make sure she isn't jumping up or running around.

3. Ask your vet about Rymadyl. They use it for after surgery for pain relief as well as for arthritis and the same kind of pain. There can be kidney issues associated with this drug if used for a long period of time, but you would be amazed at how wonderfully it works!

Hope that helped! Good luck with your precious pooch!

·
Registered
634 Posts

1. Keep your dog on a diet, even if he/she is only slightly overweight, put her on a diet! It is much better for an older dog with hip or leg issues to be underweight than over weight.

2. I would recommend not taking her on walks, if you must maybe a very small one, but the less excersize the better. Make sure she isn't jumping up or running around.

3. Ask your vet about Rymadyl. They use it for after surgery for pain relief as well as for arthritis and the same kind of pain. There can be kidney issues associated with this drug if used for a long period of time, but you would be amazed at how wonderfully it works!

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

We have dealt with chronic, progressive disease and decided that as long as we could control the pain (used Rymadyl) we would not take the final step but once we passed that point, where our dog was in pain, we put them to sleep. Have had to do it 3 times; Golden Retriever; a German Shepherd and a Cocker Spaniel. It NEVER gets easier damn it!!! :(

·
MyMmbersBIGGERThnUrMember
150 Posts
Omg!

It usually does not get better! its hard but you should put the dog down!

Sorry but that is rediculous, you do not put a dog down unless they are dying or have constant pain and you cannot help them. If your dog is still all there, wags and smiles and all, you can try other things first. Aspirin really isn't that strong and it's not "just for dogs". I would deff. try the rhymadyl and limit your dogs excersize. Once she is too old, blind, deff, and just unhappy then think about puting her down. But if you are in love with her and she is still very much an active part of your family and virtually healthy, there is a lot you can do to make her more comfortable. And if REALLY love your dog, and the meds don't work, they always have wheel barrows for doggies! To assist with her walking.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Please check into the Glucosamine/Chondroitin for dogs. If you get the right brand it will put the step back into steppin.

Pain pills will just mask the problem, but keeping them comfortable is good.

·
R U or U R?
1,829 Posts

Our Corgie had the same problem and he was 14 or so. I put him down hoping that was the best for him.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I can only say that with Tramp (shephard) I waited until she could no longer stand with her back legs. When she could no longer get away from her own waste, I thought it was time. Hardest thing I ever did other than listen to my mother ask her doctor if he would assist her in suicide as she was riddled with cancer. Shitty, shitty deal all around. Good luck!
Carl

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

After you try the meds from the VET (for dysplasia and arthritis the Vet had some good stuff much better than Aspirin works only 1/4 as well so you might want to give the vet a call for the good meds)...also DIET change and lots of rest on huge doggie beds helps...someone earlier mentioned that joint vitamins, they really do help to...
If all that does not help then wait it out as long as your pup is not suffering then you have to decide...We just went through something like this with our Mastiff last week, I also had to put down our Husky over 3 years ago....
The problem can linger for a while or it can be quick as a day to where the poor pup can't walk anymore..it is up to you but I would not let my kids suffer long. It is going to be one of the hardest things you ever had to do especially after 12 years...Good luck and if you need to ask anything please do not hesitate PMing me...

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
I have used Rymadyl on 2 of my dogs in the past with great results. There is another drug too which the name escapes me right now that has worked for me. Also try the Glucosamine/Chondroitin idea Scoooter suggested. I would only consider putting the dog down as a last resort if you cannot help with above or similar targeted meds.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

You said she does not run AS FAST it sounds like she still can run and likes to run,if this is the case I would say not run her as much or as fast.I also have a dog who likes to run, he is 11 but he still runs just not as much.
We do more walking now and take breaks if he shows any tiredness.
I changed my dogs diet and he became more energetic, we also do not feed him people food anymore.(That helped the most) I know its hard not to when they give you that special look but they are very forgiving and wont be mad at you for that.
I heard this from someone, pick three things that your dog loves to do and when they cant do two of the three you might want to consider putting them down.To me it sounds like your dog just needs a little bit of a life adjustment.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Please check into the Glucosamine/Chondroitin for dogs. If you get the right brand it will put the step back into steppin.

Pain pills will just mask the problem, but keeping them comfortable is good.
Another excellent suggestion! My lab had elbow surgery on both elbows. My daughter's American Bulldog just had surgery on both knees...(What the hell one might ask?) Anyway, the vet surgeon has prescribed a daily regimen of G/C. I should use it myself :)sphss

·
Registered
634 Posts
I can only say that with Tramp (shephard) I waited until she could no longer stand with her back legs. When she could no longer get away from her own waste, I thought it was time. Hardest thing I ever did other than listen to my mother ask her doctor if he would assist her in suicide as she was riddled with cancer. Shitty, shitty deal all around. Good luck!
Carl
Aarrgh...that's horrible :(

·
Got to get In da Wind
821 Posts
I have the exact same thing going on with one of my dogs, at first he took a little longer getting up and limped a little then he would just miss a step going up stairs and had hard time getting back up. Asked his vet and she told me Glucosamine/MSM and NOT Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I asked twice since Glucosamine/Chondroitin is what I take. Can get it in big bottles at Costco. He did better for the first 6 months but now he is getting worse. Have appointment with vet Friday.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have a lot of experience in this area with Siberians.

Hip Dysplasia is very rare in Siberians. I bet your girl has arthritis or some other condition.

We had a older male Siberian with the same issue. Most of the problem was in the lower part of his back adjacent to his hips. He specifically had osteoarthritis.

Once we put him on Rimadyl, he was acted 5 years younger. I'm convinced his quality of life from about 12-14 was exponentially better.

The downsides to Rimadyl is it can be hard on their liver/kidneys and can also supress blood clotting activity. Stomach issues have also been reported.

Ask you vet about non-steroid alternatives in a Rimadyl discussion. If you go the Rimadyl route, spend the money on blood tests.

Diet can also help. Make sure your feeding the best dog food you can get your hands on. We use Canidae

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I was faced with this same situation a few years back with our 11 year german shepard. After going to my vet and getting a perscription for a steriod, the dog was 100% better, but only for a little while, few months. Once that started to wear off, my vet said at this point it becomes a quaility of life decision for the dog, my dog could no longer get up anymore, so I was faced with no other choice but to put her down, It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do as a adult. Its not a easy call, hang in there.

·
Trailer Trash Queen
1,591 Posts
If the dog has no allergy issues I suggest Glyco Flex..If the dog has allergy issues I would go with Cosequin DS...

Another GREAT suppement is Hyaluronic acid (HA)...http://www.beyondbeds.com/index.asp..._Acid_Google&gclid=CIDc59nGwpwCFQhV2god1CRGgA

Keep in mind that these supplements take 4 weeks to get into the dogs system..You have to double strength for the first month after that normal dosage..I would give both HC with one or the other supplements together..

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hey there! I have owned dogs my whole life as well as do boarding, walking, training, etc. There are some things you can do

Hope that helped! Good luck with your precious pooch!
Rymadyl has liver, not kidney issues, have blood work to check how well the dog can tolerate. Also you can try Metacam or Tramadol, we have used all three at one time or another in the course of caring for our rescues. They all have their place and they all can make a world of difference. I would consider euthanasia a last resort......

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
My Greyhound had back problems that were solved by a short term steroid treatment (had to do it twice). Got rid of the inflammation and the pain and symptoms are now gone too. :D

She cannot tolerate the Glucosamine/Chondroitin. But it works great on my other Mix.

IMHO the Rimidyl should be only a short term antidote.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts