Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my dogs 80# Blue Pit Bull, and 60# Boxer are both healthy and happy. I feed them a mix of dry and wet food, if I go by the guidelines on the can, is that per feeding? Or is that per day? I usually feed them 2X a day, but with summer coming I know they will be eating less, and they could use a diet! Any help or tips would be great.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
akitas

i have 3 125 akitas that i feed 1 time a day but big servings have been doing this for 6 years with an occasional table scrap (meat only) and never at the table or from the table. i make them perform acts of discipline in the back yard for the good stuff. gotta keep them wanting

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Ok, my dogs 80# Blue Pit Bull, and 60# Boxer are both healthy and happy. I feed them a mix of dry and wet food, if I go by the guidelines on the can, is that per feeding? Or is that per day? I usually feed them 2X a day, but with summer coming I know they will be eating less, and they could use a diet! Any help or tips would be great.
Both the wet and dry should say per day for each. As your feeding both, divide both by 4 for each meal. Does that even make sence. If dog needs 8 cups dry or 4 cans wet, you would use 2 cups dry and one can per meal.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Green bean diet

Our rotty got up to 120 #'s, so we had to put her on a diet. We give her a cup of dry food mixed with a half can of green beans (low/no salt) 2x's a day. We substituted reg treats with mini carrots per our vets advice. She lost 15 pounds in about 2months time. She is 5 1/2 years now.... Dont know if this will work for all, but it has helped us out a great deal!

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
My middle daughter is a veterinary tech. She tells me that Cletus should have all the food he wants from a trough-type feeder and mandates I only feed him Iams, large breed adult feed. He takes all he wants and my 40 lb bags last about fifty days. My neighbor's dust mops eat more than that.

Dogs will usually eat everything you set out for them and they'll never self regulate their own diet. We do that for them when we feed them. Since I have followed her advice (the last three dogs we've had) I've never had an overweight one nor health issues.
Hey, it works for us and Cletus!

·
Got to get In da Wind
821 Posts
Our 2 pits were getting plump as well so we started feeding them Science Diet Light and instead of can food mixed in I use beef bullion and water poured over the top at night and just a little straight dry food in the morning. Lost a few pounds gradually over a months time. vet says straight dry food is better for their teeth.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Why the wet food? All of my dogs are/have been on Pedigree dry food. My 75lb Choc Lab (recently passed) had 3 cups/day. Now we just have a 26 lb and a 15 lb, both mutts. They graze throughout the day, so I dunno how much they get exactly.

Your 60+pounders don't need more than 4 cups of dry food per day, max. Lean them out a little, they'll live longer.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's what they get, once in the morning, once in the evening.

Pit= 1/2 can wet/ 1 1/2 cups dry
Boxer=1/3 can wet/ 1/4 cup dry
SPCA mini mutt=1/4 can wet/ 1/4 cup dry

Just because I love them, here's some pics;

Attachments

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
If you can't feel their ribs, cut back on the feed, untill they trim down.

Our yard-mut self-regulates his feed pretty well too, so he eats from a feeder that we fill every few weeks or so, whenever it's mostly down.

Most of the dogs I've had over the years would glutton themselves, but not him.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
My 73 lb. German shepherd used to eat 8 cups,4 twice a day, in the summer,7 cups in the winter. Now he's over 13 1/2 and he eats 3 - 4 cups a day. His capacity has cut in half but so has his activity. His biggest activity nowadays is his farting.I just kicked him out because I thought some of my house plumbing let loose but it was just him....:mad:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Our 2 pits were getting plump as well so we started feeding them Science Diet Light and instead of can food mixed in I use beef bullion and water poured over the top at night and just a little straight dry food in the morning. Lost a few pounds gradually over a months time. vet says straight dry food is better for their teeth.
Straight dry food is better for their teeth, gums, and overall health. It's also cheaper-lots of water in canned food obviously. Follow the feeding directions on the bag. Do not let your pets get overweight. They are susceptible to diabetes just like people.
Should be able to feel the ribs but not see them.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Wet food is for dogs with no teeth. Even then, I had one that way and we just soaked his dry food until it was soft.

Dry makes for better teeth, is usually cheaper, and makes the turds roll on and off of the shovel easier.;)

·
Driver
3,195 Posts

that dog aint got shit on a drunkguy and a rope how his swimming tech. coming along

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
My dog free eats dry food. Either Science Diet or Costco brand. I switch up every bag so she doesn't get tired of the taste. She never over eats, and isn't over weight. I also cook her eggs for breakfast a couple of times a week, that's about the extent of her people food besides a french fry every now and then. She loves McDonalds fries, smells them when you get out of the car and goes ballistic when she smells them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts