Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
U Member, Member?
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of a dog trainer in the IE? my gf's new dog needs to be trained including potty training before i blast her w ma guage!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
anyone know of a dog trainer in the IE? my gf's new dog needs to be trained including potty training before i blast her w ma guage!
Thats funny. Put the gun down.
I can help but if your online, you need to look up on "Cage Training". This is almost foolproof. Dont sweat it. I realy hate when I see dogs suffer from owners not taking the time to do this.
Cage training is based on the fact that dogs dont crap where they sleep. The cage. You have to first understan that dogs need routine or structure, good habits.
I will look for a link here on this.
Also your welcome to pm me and I can call you too. If you have problems getting the dog used to the cage. STOP. You cant make the dog fear the cage. The cage should represent the den. Dogs are den animals and and cage training just triggers a natural behavior in the dog that all dogs are prewired with.
Cage training will make you proud of your dog but most important the dog will be proud of itself.
Here is a bunch ov vids regarding this. This guy is good, I dont agree with some of his dominance theories but he'll get you fixed up.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=eletendre1&view=videos

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Thats funny. Put the gun down.
I can help but if your online, you need to look up on "Cage Training". This is almost foolproof. Dont sweat it. I realy hate when I see dogs suffer from owners not taking the time to do this.
Cage training is based on the fact that dogs dont crap where they sleep. The cage. You have to first understan that dogs need routine or structure, good habits.
I will look for a link here on this.
Also your welcome to pm me and I can call you too. If you have problems getting the dog used to the cage. STOP. You cant make the dog fear the cage. The cage should represent the den. Dogs are den animals and and cage training just triggers a natural behavior in the dog that all dogs are prewired with.
Cage training will make you proud of your dog but most important the dog will be proud of itself.
Here is a bunch ov vids regarding this. This guy is good, I dont agree with some of his dominance theories but he'll get you fixed up.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=eletendre1&view=videos
I agree with the crate training. We crate trained ours and he was house broken in 4 days..He loves his crate and actually stays in it most of the time when he's in the house...He also sleeps in it at night. Dogs need to have limitations and can't be allowed to run the house when they are pups. This causes confusion for them and makes them feel like they are in charge......positive reinforcement and structure for puppies is a must...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just for thought here. Most dog trainers don't like Cesar Milan/ The Dog Whisperer.
This is because Cesar points out that dogs are pre-wired as pack animals.
They are born with brains that are ready to go. Humans are born dumb. Dogs are not. We just need to learn about what the dog is pre-wired for and use it to our and the dogs benefit. In other words regarding trainers no liking Cesar, its that Cesar says that you don't need to train the dog. You have to train the human. Whats easier, the human training the dog, or the human learning dog behavior. You owe it to your dog. If you have to go with the trainer I would suggest that you just ask his opinion of Cesar and decide accordingly. I do think there are good trainers and bad trainers.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree with the crate training. We crate trained ours and he was house broken in 4 days..He loves his crate and actually stays in it most of the time when he's in the house...He also sleeps in it at night. Dogs need to have limitations and can't be allowed to run the house when they are pups. This causes confusion for them and makes them feel like they are in charge......positive reinforcement and structure for puppies is a must...
Nice hear someone with there act together. I do have a 7 month old terrier mix and its real rewarding to have you dog not only potty train in 6 weeks but fall in behind you whaere ever you go. I cant get up without her being righ at my heals.
Remember dogs are natural followers where people are natural leaders. Dogs are always more healthy in a following position that gettin stuck with the alfa role, which dogs tend to fall into when not dominated by a pack leader. Dogs are wired to accept an alfa role in order to preserve the pack. Agressive alfa dogs are not bad dogs, they just got stuck with the job.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Something else here.
Seeing how dogs are better off in a submissive role. You would figure that the dog is week in the animal kingdom. well look at it this way. A dog pack is composed of mostly submissive dogs with an alfa. Dogs individually are week but as a pack they are formidable. You probable would be hard pressed to hear of a wolf falling prey to another animal. But of coarse when a dog leaves or is kicked out of a pack, it falls prey immediately.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Something else here.
Seeing how dogs are better off in a submissive role. You would figure that the dog is week in the animal kingdom. well look at it this way. A dog pack is composed of mostly submissive dogs with an alfa. Dogs individually are week but as a pack they are formidable. You probable would be hard pressed to hear of a wolf falling prey to another animal. But of coarse when a dog leaves or is kicked out of a pack, it falls prey immediately.

Are you sure you're not a dog whisperer? Or did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

:D:D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
4 days is pretty good. I kept the ritual for 6 week and then gave her all the rope she needed, no pun. You have to eventually give them the test.
Remember with puppies, as for there bladders. Rule of thumb. Ad one hour to the dogs age in months. ie; a 6 month old can hold there pee for 7 hours, a 7 month old for 8. and such.
Important to feed the dog solid food too so as to keep things rolling along well enough for a good duke on demand. Sometimes giving them a small snack or something to get them chewing will aid in getting the train rolling. Oh, if someones baking brownies its time to grab the leash.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Our new Weimaraner is at K-9 companions right now for a three week boot camp. We did a lot of research and they were who we felt comfortable with. Kinda expensive, but should be worth it...check out: www.k9companions.com for more. They're in Riverside, by Lake Mathews...good luck
If ya don't mind, how much do they charge for the 3 weeks. I'm looking to send both my boys to school. The 3 yr old has already been to school but I figured I'd just send him along with the lil one for a refresher course.
Rio

·
U Member, Member?
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thx for the responses. ive got a crate but hadnt been consistent with it. have been for the past day or so. see how it works out. any secrets out there for keepin the dog from crying when you place her in the crate. she ll cry and bark for bout an hour and now and then thru out the nite. i dont wanna do anything that will mess up training.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
thx for the responses. ive got a crate but hadnt been consistent with it. have been for the past day or so. see how it works out. any secrets out there for keepin the dog from crying when you place her in the crate. she ll cry and bark for bout an hour and now and then thru out the nite. i dont wanna do anything that will mess up training.

Try a ticking alarm clock or a radio with a CD of ocean waves playing on repeat. We did the radio thing and it worked great, only used it for a couple nights then didn't need it anymore.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think its a good idea to cover a cage, at least top and sides so it feels more confined. If the dog has a fit when in there, don't acknowledge the behavior. Don't try to console the dog, you will only nurture the mindset of the dog. Put him in and ignore the dog.
Does the dog go into the cage willingly? if not, put treats inside. You can try putting the cage in the bedroom so the dog knows your nearby and can see you. Don't turn out the light until he's calm. But don't say anything or look at the dog. If the dog still wont settle down, there needs to be more positive association with the cage. A stuffed animal inside is good too. Also try
When you take the dog out of the cage in the morning, leash him, go outside where you want him to go, stand in that space and don't let him wander, he needs just a leash distance and use whatever term you use to command him to go. Do this even if your backyard is enclosed as this develops a routine. Cage, Leash, potty area, command, reward the dog after he goes. I went as far as taking the dog out of the cage, leashing the dog and walk the house. At the first sign of the dog sniffing the floor, scold the dog, say no, then head for the door. Just as a test for the dog to see if there is a mindset to go indoors and to correct the mindset before the action takes place.
Oh, when you standing at the potty area don't let the dog pull on the leash, if he wants to wander elsewhere snap the leash and try not to just pull on it. The dog is going to pee first, re-sniff, then poop. Slack the leash where he's going. This is not only house training but training the dog to go on command.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
I think its a good idea to cover a cage, at least top and sides so it feels more confined. If the dog has a fit when in there, don't acknowledge the behavior. Don't try to console the dog, you will only nurture the mindset of the dog. Put him in and ignore the dog.
Does the dog go into the cage willingly? if not, put treats inside. You can try putting the cage in the bedroom so the dog knows your nearby and can see you. Don't turn out the light until he's calm. But don't say anything or look at the dog. If the dog still wont settle down, there needs to be more positive association with the cage. A stuffed animal inside is good too. Also try
When you take the dog out of the cage in the morning, leash him, go outside where you want him to go, stand in that space and don't let him wander, he needs just a leash distance and use whatever term you use to command him to go. Do this even if your backyard is enclosed as this develops a routine. Cage, Leash, potty area, command, reward the dog after he goes. I went as far as taking the dog out of the cage, leashing the dog and walk the house. At the first sign of the dog sniffing the floor, scold the dog, say no, then head for the door. Just as a test for the dog to see if there is a mindset to go indoors and to correct the mindset before the action takes place.
Oh, when you standing at the potty area don't let the dog pull on the leash, if he wants to wander elsewhere snap the leash and try not to just pull on it. The dog is going to pee first, re-sniff, then poop. Slack the leash where he's going. This is not only house training but training the dog to go on command.
Sounds like good advice. We got our pit bulls when they were two months old. We had the cage before they set paws in the house. We threw treats blankets and toys in there and have had NO problems with them going in the cage when we tell them to.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Our new Weimaraner is at K-9 companions right now for a three week boot camp. We did a lot of research and they were who we felt comfortable with. Kinda expensive, but should be worth it...check out: www.k9companions.com for more. They're in Riverside, by Lake Mathews...good luck
X2, I've sent 2 dogs there and it was well worth the money. George is a great guy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts