Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a loaded question and will get a million different answers (kinda like aluminum impeller hp level).

At what hp level does it become necessary or a good idea to double drill the bowl to the intake housing and the snoot to the bowl?

this is on an early dominator 12-S

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
I'm around 900 in my lake boat and nothing is double drilled and no issues blowing gaskets .. In the race boat, the bowl is double drilled but the droop is not .. Still no issues !!!!! I'd go with a 1000+

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...I plan on going to about 750 max with my mild turbo build up.....sounds like I should be on the edge of "safe"

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
Ok...I plan on going to about 750 max with my mild turbo build up.....sounds like I should be on the edge of "safe"
Its real cheap to do so why not? I have my bowl, droop and the front part of the pump where the u-joints connect to the pump all double drilled.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have the bowl out for a impeller swap soon......does seem like a good time to do it.

·
Urban Cougar Trapper
976 Posts
I had mine done while pump was out , seemed like a No Brainer ...plus I've seen the plastic wedges get blown out even in some boats with moderate power ...will it actually help in my setup ? Who knows but I sleep better

·
Registered
319 Posts
lost bowl

I blew the bowl off onetime. Pretty dangerous as it was swinging around by the cables at high speed. Could have been because I was running hard across some rollers and stayed on the nos.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
For the guys who double drilled and studied or even those with regular bolts, why not have them safety wired also? Seems to be full proof at that point.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Most of the time if your blowing gaskets and bowls and droops off, you either don't check your shit, bolts are to short, or some major loading issues :wink2:

Fuck it, drill it :)devil

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Never had either end of my bowl double drilled on the 828 and never blew a gasket. Upgrading to the new suction housing & larger diameter bowl this winter so going to go ahead & have it double drilled, not sure if its necessary though.

·
Urban Cougar Trapper
976 Posts
For the guys who double drilled and studied or even those with regular bolts, why not have them safety wired also? Seems to be full proof at that point.
I just studded mine with SS Studs and Nuts , Nuts have the Polylock Insert ...if they are backing out ? I've got something worse than that going on ! :)sphss

·
Registered
335 Posts
When it happen to me, 4 of the 8 "regular" bolts pulled the threads right out of the bowl. At that point, all the safety wire would do is keep the bolts all together as they sink to the bottom of the lake...Don't get me wrong, safety wire has its place but, not sure about it in that area. Double drill, stud it, nuts, lock washers or nylocks and don't look back.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My motor makes 700hp and blew the bowl gasket.. If I could, I'd go back and just pay the extra couple of dollars to have it double drilled. It blew the first couple times I made a hard pass

1 - 19 of 19 Posts