Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - last weekend I hooked up the driveline from the T400 tranny to the Casale V-drive case. I had 4 bolts with star washers on them. It was a little tricky hooking things up, since the driveline protector sleeve slid into itself, but didn't allow me sufficient clearance to put a torque wrench on it. I put a closed end wrench in it, put the transmission in gear, and pulled as hard as I could, several rounds on each bolt. Is this sufficient, or should is there another way to do this. Having a driveline come loose at 4K rpm doesn't sound like a good time - especially with the driver and observer right next to where it would break loose.

Thanks for any info. - Sean

·
3,246 Posts
I put lock tight on my bolts. I am in the same position as you where i couldnt on fit a box wrench on the bolt. i just cranked the help out of the bolts. i just checked them 2 days ago and they are tighter than a witches tit

·
Maxwell Smartass
353 Posts
Yep crank the shit out of em, we normally use a tapped drive flange and then put jam nuts behind it.

This is when Snap-On Wrenches are worth their weight in gold, you cant get the boxed end in there, and the snap-on's open end won't stretch open.

·
3,246 Posts
i wish my craftsman wratcheting box wrench would have fit. that would have saved me a good 20 minutes sitting there turning each bolt an 1/8" turn at a time:|err

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the information. The lock tite is a good idea. I'll go back in and do that. I may 'custom' modify a wrench as well so that I can fit a leverage arm on there to get greater torque. Sean

·
Maxwell Smartass
353 Posts
Yes LocTite is a great idea, should have mentioned that above. Out of all the bolts in the boat these are some most important not to come loose!

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Are you familiar with the trick of using a second combo wrench as an extension, to get more leverage? You just put the open end of one into the closed end of the other. Hard to explain, but it works! Try it. It will only work if you are able to get the closed end on the fastener though.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
I'd use the blue loc-tite !! not the red, the blue will lock and you'll be able to remove the bolts, the red will damn near permenantly lock the bolt in, just a word of caution !! You could also have a machine shop drill the safety wire holes, or see if ARP has them drilled already, they also do special requests for nut & bolts.

·
3,246 Posts
I'd use the blue loc-tite !! not the red, the blue will lock and you'll be able to remove the bolts, the red will damn near permenantly lock the bolt in, just a word of caution !! You could also have a machine shop drill the safety wire holes, or see if ARP has them drilled already, they also do special requests for nut & bolts.
So your saying drill the hole in the head and run wire through all four bolts? If so that is a good idea

·
Registered
82 Posts
Snap on makes a long version of a crows foot. That is broached for 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive. You could use a torque wrench with them. I used them when I still worked for caterpillar for torquing 3500 series engine after cooler bolts. They work very well.

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
Snap on makes a long version of a crows foot. That is broached for 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive. You could use a torque wrench with them. I used them when I still worked for caterpillar for torquing 3500 series engine after cooler bolts. They work very well.
Doesn't using a crows foot on a torque wrench give you an inaccurate torque, due to the offset leverage of the crowsfoot vs a straight socket? I know they (not sure on manufacturer-sorry) make 'fixed' torque wrenches with and open end (wrench) on them. We use them for torquing certain types of rf cable fittings in hard to reach places. Might be interesting to test this theory. How much are ya'll torquing these flange bolts to? Just curious. I do like the wire idea, it's mandatory in many aircraft applications. Anything to make these things safer is worth looking at.

·
2,040 Posts
Has anyone experienced a lot of problems with the flange bolts coming loose? I also have never seen a scatter shield around a Casale. Are they not needed? Just tryin' to learn. ( or annoy people with stupid questions, either one - lol)

·
2,040 Posts
Doesn't using a crows foot on a torque wrench give you an inaccurate torque, due to the offset leverage of the crowsfoot vs a straight socket? I know they (not sure on manufacturer-sorry) make 'fixed' torque wrenches with and open end (wrench) on them. We use them for torquing certain types of rf cable fittings in hard to reach places. Might be interesting to test this theory. How much are ya'll torquing these flange bolts to? Just curious. I do like the wire idea, it's mandatory in many aircraft applications. Anything to make these things safer is worth looking at.
bump. Somebody's gotta have an input on this. :)

·
River Rat
228 Posts
Has anyone experienced a lot of problems with the flange bolts coming loose? I also have never seen a scatter shield around a Casale. Are they not needed? Just tryin' to learn. ( or annoy people with stupid questions, either one - lol)
I think thats why you have to have what is it .100" thick driveline guard? Acting as a scatter shield, I really don't think if those bolts from u-joint to casale came out it would be that violent, and I really don't think it could bust through the eighth inch steel tubing on my guard. Personally I just think the shaft would spin like crazy inside there, its just dumb metal always gonna do the easiest thing.

·
2,040 Posts
I think thats why you have to have what is it .100" thick driveline guard? Acting as a scatter shield, I really don't think if those bolts from u-joint to casale came out it would be that violent, and I really don't think it could bust through the eighth inch steel tubing on my guard. Personally I just think the shaft would spin like crazy inside there, its just dumb metal always gonna do the easiest thing.
I've never seen one without a shaft guard, I was curious about the Casale itself needing (or not needing?) a scatter shield. I guess like 1/4 mile asphalt stuff sometimes has shielding over trannys.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Joe Sheflo uses a scatter shield made by Deist on his v-drive, I think.

·
WET MEMBER
1,251 Posts
I've never seen one without a shaft guard, I was curious about the Casale itself needing (or not needing?) a scatter shield. I guess like 1/4 mile asphalt stuff sometimes has shielding over trannys.
You being laid up is getting your posts up there

·
2,040 Posts
You being laid up is getting your posts up there Reality
Why yes. Yes I am heavily medicated and bored off my ass. Why do you ask? LOL. Pretty soon I should be back at work and back to my old routine of only being able to get on here once in a while.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts