Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
cswiers
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Servicing my drives I have found small metal fragments on the magnetic lower drain plug. They are spormaster shorties. Is there an acceptable amount at each service or zero tolerance? 1 Drive has 228 hours the other has appx 20 hours on a rebuilt lower.:mad:

Thanks

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Servicing my drives I have found small metal fragments on the magnetic lower drain plug. They are spormaster shorties. Is there an acceptable amount at each service or zero tolerance? 1 Drive has 228 hours the other has appx 20 hours on a rebuilt lower.:mad:

Thanks
How fine are the particles?, if it they look really fine I would say you may be OK, if larger (large enough to feel gritty on your finger) I would say something is wrong.

The magnets job is to be a tattle tale and let you know when something is up, drives that shift a lot tend to have more ferrous particles, you should have very little because of the shift type (relies on brass parts) it uses a cone clutch and not a dog type clutch.

My recommendation if the particles are really small would be to have the oil analyzed and keep an eye on it, best $25 you will ever spend, if the particles are larger, it needs to come apart IMHO.

·
cswiers
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are small and a bit gritty, both sides are the same. a local mechanic said that a pinch was normal and the reason for the magnet's. I was thinking of getting the oil analized as well. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts