Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
06 Mach 22 w/2.5 Drags
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I am thinking this is going to be a seriously rookie question but I would rather ask a dumb question as opposed to making a dumb mistake. I have had a boat with a jet drive, and one with twin outboards but this is my first sterndrive boat.

I just bought a DCB F-26 and it has a Bravo 1-XR drive. I have gotten a service manual for the motor but cannot find one on just the drive and I want to change all the fluids this weekend before I take it out again. I would love to be taking it in for this however I just spent all my money buying the boat so I need to do some service work on it myself this time around. On the motor itself is a resevoir for drive fluid and when I look at the drive itself there doesn't seem to be and drain/fills on it. Where is the gearlube for this? Is it dry sump and located up on the motor? I am at a loss of how to do this and am not a mechanical idiot, or at least I like to think I am not. I can read the service manual pretty well to and it doesn't specify anything about the drive.

Any help will be appreicated.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Remove the prop and there will be a slot headed screw below the prop shaft. Remove screw to drain. The will be another similar screw on the side of the upper unit. Remove it when draining. You might have some fluid flowing out of this hole when starting to drain. I will quickly stop and continue to drain out the bottom. Check drain plug for debris. They are magnetic and will collect metal particles. Fine dust ok, larger pieces mean you may need gears, etc. Once completely drained, refill from lower drain. You will need to purchase a pump with plastic screw in hose. Most boat supply houses will carry them. Fill from below until fluid comes out the hole on the upper unit. Quickly remove the hose and replace the drain bolt. Good idea to replace the blue fiber washer on the drain bolts. Use Merc/Quicksilver high performance gear oil. Capacity approx. 3 quarts. Once all buttoned up fill reservoir in motor compartment and run. Keep a bottle on board as it may settle some on the first run. Have fun. Hope I didn't miss anything.

Rick

·
06 Mach 22 w/2.5 Drags
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the prop and there will be a slot headed screw below the prop shaft. Remove screw to drain. The will be another similar screw on the side of the upper unit. Remove it when draining. You might have some fluid flowing out of this hole when starting to drain. I will quickly stop and continue to drain out the bottom. Check drain plug for debris. They are magnetic and will collect metal particles. Fine dust ok, larger pieces mean you may need gears, etc. Once completely drained, refill from lower drain. You will need to purchase a pump with plastic screw in hose. Most boat supply houses will carry them. Fill from below until fluid comes out the hole on the upper unit. Quickly remove the hose and replace the drain bolt. Good idea to replace the blue fiber washer on the drain bolts. Use Merc/Quicksilver high performance gear oil. Capacity approx. 3 quarts. Once all buttoned up fill reservoir in motor compartment and run. Keep a bottle on board as it may settle some on the first run. Have fun. Hope I didn't miss anything.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your reply. So it sounds pretty much the same as filling the lower unit oil on my outboards. I guess I just need to look harder when I am looking at the drive. As for the res. in the engine compartment what do I fill that with? The gear lube? And will the res drain with the outdrive plugs pulled or is there a seperate one for that?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
694 Posts
When your pumping new gear oil into the drive, watch for oil coming out of the upper drain hole. Once you see oil coming out of this orface, reinstall the slotted screw plug. Then keep pumping oil into the drive slowly until you just start to see the fluid level in the resevior bottle rise. Then stop pumping. Reinstall the bottom slotted screw like FC instructed (quickly)!. Let the fluid level in the resevior stabilize for about 5 minutes. Then top off to the full line in the resevior. Check the level after running the boat for a hour or so. It will probably drop a bit (air in the drive)

Just don't run the engine without water. You will smoke the waterpump impeller.

·
06 Mach 22 w/2.5 Drags
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When your pumping new gear oil into the drive, watch for oil coming out of the upper drain hole. Once you see oil coming out of this orface, reinstall the slotted screw plug. Then keep pumping oil into the drive slowly until you just start to see the fluid level in the resevior bottle rise. Then stop pumping. Reinstall the bottom slotted screw like FC instructed (quickly)!. Let the fluid level in the resevior stabilize for about 5 minutes. Then top off to the full line in the resevior. Check the level after running the boat for a hour or so. It will probably drop a bit (air in the drive)

Thanks for all the help. I just wasn't sure how that resevior was going to fill. So I for sure appreciate all the help. I am definitely going to run the Mercury Hi-Performance Gear Lube through it. I will get an extra quart to flush it a little bit I have no idea what's in there now but it looks greenish colored like the merc stuff.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
The greenish color is Mercruiser High Performance Gear Lube. Be sure to use that when re-filling your drive.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I just did mine and notice you live in SD. West Marine will have everything you need with just about the best prices.

·
06 Mach 22 w/2.5 Drags
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know a lot of guys out here use Redline's Lightweight shock proof (The blue stuff) and have had great luck with it. I've been running it for two years with no problems.
I used to use the Redline Heavy Shockproof in my sportmasters but switched to the Mercury stuff after having a few issues with water intrusion. Maybe I will give the lighteight stuff next fluid change as I already bought all the Merc stuff.

·
the silver bullet!
1,996 Posts
twin dragz , filll drive just like fc and rc said ,but as soon as it comes out the top hole put plugs back in both .then take cap off res and fill to line ,theres a check valve in line that isn't going to allow you fill res from drive (it might work ) but much faster to just fill res from engine compartment. TUNNEL T

·
Registered
120 Posts
First time around, sense you don't really know what kind of lube you have, drain the resevior bottle too. Next time pinch off the rubber resevior line with a pair of small vise grips before removing the drain plug. Saves some time and no need to drain good fluid, as long as your using the same stuff and do this at least once a year.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I used to use the Redline Heavy Shockproof in my sportmasters but switched to the Mercury stuff after having a few issues with water intrusion. Maybe I will give the lighteight stuff next fluid change as I already bought all the Merc stuff.
Redline is great stuff. Here's what I use. Under "TYPICAL USES", the first line says - marine outdrive units.

I've ran this 75 hours at a time in my Bravo-I, minimal "fuzz" on the magnets and still looks/smells new. My boat is not light, either.

RTF racing transmission fluid

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Redline light duty shock proof, it blue in color, (heavy duty expands and comes out res a lot, its red), Torco, and amsoil. Merc stuff is good for stock to mild motors. Change the fluid more often than the manual states, cheap insurance and it will usually tell you what is happening in the drive.

·
Thrasher187
102 Posts
This is not correct for all xr drives

You should not be able to see the fluid level raise in the reservoir. There is supposed to be a 1 way valve that will not allow your fluid to be pumped into the fill hole on the bottom of the lower and see it raise the reservoir level. I followed this and was treated to quite a mess when I finally gave up on seeing the fluid level rise. I removed the vent plug and oil blew out everywhere. The valve did its job. luckily I did not damage anything. I watched for signs of blowing a seal out and water intrusion all summer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts