Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
O.K. I need some more opinions. My 74 sanger came with what I guess is what was used before whirlaways where invented. It is a drive shaft coupler that releases in case of engine seizing. mine is damaged, and I was thinking of using it temperarily,as I have to many other parts to buy before I can afford a whirlaway setup.I am posting some pics of it and the damage it has. Basically, I want to use a stainless steel split clamp perchased from a truck supply store to clamp around the area that has its bolt ears broken off.the clamp is about 1/2 inch wide and is 1/2 inch thick stainless steel.The coupler has its keyway undamaged, and the set screws keep the shaft from slipping out.Is this a reasonable temp. fix, or am I looking for trouble?Would it be better to put in a solid coupler for now? I'm pretty sure the mild engine I am starting out with-400 hp or less-isn't going to eat itself up and seize.Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
yeah its ugly
118 Posts
don't try to afro engineer it either keep the boat off the water a little longer put a solid coupler or find the money these boats can hurt you...but always remember have fun

little john

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sir, I AM an afro engineer!-Just kidding.I'll put in the solid coupler. Thanks for the reality check.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Please.... Absolutely do not run that part in that condition. I ran an Algon and am familiar with them. You are asking for an explosion of parts that could injure or kill someone trying to fix that with a clamp.

You might want to give Sanger a call (Stellings) they originally made them and may have parts laying around to fix.

·
Brendella 2" Runner NoS
201 Posts
Perf Boats avoids another disaster

Holy crap, yes. Listen to this man and the others, that sh*t patch job *will let go* and cut your balls off. Y'know, bad things happen even when the top-of-the-line stuff sometimes fails - Buy the Whirl-a-way II from Casale or guys on the site. It's the 2nd most important safety part you can own.

Please.... Absolutely do not run that part in that condition. I ran an Algon and am familiar with them. You are asking for an explosion of parts that could injure or kill someone trying to fix that with a clamp.

You might want to give Sanger a call (Stellings) they originally made them and may have parts laying around to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts