Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm trying to read up on these outdrives, I'm kinda new to them. Last boat was a jet, don't flame me. lol.

Question is, how necessary is a drive shower? The new boat has an alpha one drive, powered by a 350 (270-280hp I think?) in a 21ft Carrera. I keep reading they are notorious for getting hot so I'm thinking maybe I should just install one of these to play it safe. Thoughts?

Also which one is good? I just read it's not as efficient to run water over the bearing cap, instead it should be showering the side of the drive. (Thinner wall) Which makes sense I guess. Anyone have any experience with any certain brand? The site I read from recommends the Simrek Summit Max, but I see CP sells the Wicked Marine. Any others I should look at? Or should I stop reading and just put my boat in the water? lol.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ok so I'm trying to read up on these outdrives, I'm kinda new to them. Last boat was a jet, don't flame me. lol.

Question is, how necessary is a drive shower? The new boat has an alpha one drive, powered by a 350 (270-280hp I think?) in a 21ft Carrera. I keep reading they are notorious for getting hot so I'm thinking maybe I should just install one of these to play it safe. Thoughts?

Also which one is good? I just read it's not as efficient to run water over the bearing cap, instead it should be showering the side of the drive. (Thinner wall) Which makes sense I guess. Anyone have any experience with any certain brand? The site I read from recommends the Simrek Summit Max, but I see CP sells the Wicked Marine. Any others I should look at? Or should I stop reading and just put my boat in the water? lol.

Great post, I have the same questions, only they are in regards to a TRS drive with about 550hp and a heavy boat. Can't wait to learn from the experts here...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, I looked through the 2 pages of tech forum and didn't see it. Should have used the search function I guess. Go figure there are a bunch of replies in the open water forum. haha.

Still don't really see any reference as to one over the other. I'm kind of leaning towards the one from Simrek as it's a bolt on deal. Might just order that unless somebody gives a good reason not to.

·
custom boat lover
461 Posts
One last question, is www.driveshowers.com like the only place to get this particluar one? I don't see but a few places and they are selling them for over $200 bucks. Is $179 plus $30 bucks shipping my best bet? Seems kinda high.
That is about the prices for that drive shower from what I remember about a year ago we installed a set of them on a brand new twin engine boat we sold that was going to be in the salt only, That was the first I had seen of this style, And the owener found them because he did not want to dril out the drive at all, But new he wanted a shower, For him the boat is always in the water so he does not see it all the time so he likes it, He also has one of those pools at his dock to keep the bottom clean and in fresher water.

·
New here
4,028 Posts
I know you have already decided to get one, but here is a pic of my drive the day I bought the boat. At 140hrs, this is how much "cooking" had gone on. I threw a drive shower on it and serviced the drive before taking it out. I can't believe ALL mfgs don't put them on from birth.

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,854 Posts
Which one? Looks like the one that covers the bearing cap is only for the Bravo, I have an Alpha. Or you talking about the rigid one that you have to buy each one separately?

If you go with the Simrek one get the halo. It wraps around and cools the actual housing of the drive not just the top cap. Remember heat rises and that is what cooks the water on the top cap. So you want to cool the heat source and that is inside the casing.

Mike

·
The Insurance Guy
1,920 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.