Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When setting the depth on the driveline, do you just slide the yoke on and then back it a little, or do you tap it down and back it off? I've always tapped it down, then back it off. I like as much spline to mesh as I can get.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Over 50 views, and I get the 50 guys who have never set an engine. :)coffee

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
not really get'n what your wanting to know? Are you talking about sliding the driveshaft onto the pump shaft? If so you want at least a 1/4 of play between the housing and the driveshaft.

·
Registered
968 Posts
When setting the depth on the driveline, do you just slide the yoke on and then back it a little, or do you tap it down and back it off? I've always tapped it down, then back it off. I like as much spline to mesh as I can get.
what you doing 'tappin' in the yoke onto the splines in the first place.

This dont sound right. A new yoke and shaft are nicely tight, but there is still clearance. The yoke lands against the snapring, i think. After a few runs it will get a little looser, but it shoulnt bind. Must be a bugger on it or something. Is there a relief hole? Maybe hydraulic binding by the grease and that is why it is so tight? I believe mine is open at that end.

and you need at least as much clearance as is necessary to remove the driveshaft without moving the engine.

I think i remember that there are about 2" available spline and that it was 'common' knowledge that you needed at least 1".

With the amount of torque you are putting on it i would go for as much as possible too. (thats right the yoke/shaft splined interface dont give a f**K about horsepower, only torque.

overgrease the bearing while you are at it.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So 1" engagement is acceptable?

·
Registered
513 Posts
NO...... I just left the driveline shop looking for a new yolk because mine is loose on the shaft. The professional at the driveline shop says of the 2" make sure you have at least 1-5/8" engaged. He also went on to say that insufficent engagement will cause premature failure.

Hope this helps you out.....:)hand

Chris

·
Registered
968 Posts

no, not in your case. I like the 3/8" mentioned above. I only have 1/4"...just enough to get the driveshaft out without moving the motor, and of course, to prevent any thrust on the motor produced by the pump.

what i seen, the larger the angle the more there are micromovements on that splined shaft. If the shaft and motor arent parallel there is a great deal of micormovement (and vibrations) and wear happen much faster. I use mercruiser spline grease on mine. Cant tell you if it does any good. I dont let it touch the bearing or bearing grease though.

When i grease the bearing i pull the shaft and pull out the old grease with my finger. Keeps the temps from rising so much after greasing it.

Might i suggest a strapon? Been using one for years on the bearing housing. Very revealing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts