Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read about the CHP officer that had his accelerator stuck and rear ended a car at high speed. One of his passengers called 911 to report that the car wouldn't stop and the brakes were out. It appears that the floor mat may have made the gas peddle stick.

While this is a terrible tragedy I just don't understand how the driver (or anyone else in the car) would not have the where with all to simply put the car in neutral or even park.

I discussed this with my GF and she said that maybe the driver just didn't have time and panicked. My response was 1. the passenger had enough time to call 911 and speak to the operator and 2. the driver was a CHP officer! Aren't they supposed to be trained in high speed vehicle operation?

Even if he wasn't a CHP, this is a basic vehicle operation function, like swerving to avoid and car pulling out or steering into a skid or backing off the brake if they lock up and reapplying.

I guess people only learn how to put it in drive and press on the gas these days.

I learned to drive in the dirt and in snow country where you have to learn vehicle control. I have also attended a few high performance driving schools where you are taught extensive vehicle handling techniques.

I think this kind of training should be mandatory to get a license. Yes, it would cost more money but think of the money that would be saved in lower insurance costs, less traffic congestion, less vehicle wrecks and of course, lives saved.

Rant over.:|err

·
Registered
410 Posts
So I read about the CHP officer that had his accelerator stuck and rear ended a car at high speed. One of his passengers called 911 to report that the car wouldn't stop and the brakes were out. It appears that the floor mat may have made the gas peddle stick.

While this is a terrible tragedy I just don't understand how the driver (or anyone else in the car) would not have the where with all to simply put the car in neutral or even park.

I discussed this with my GF and she said that maybe the driver just didn't have time and panicked. My response was 1. the passenger had enough time to call 911 and speak to the operator and 2. the driver was a CHP officer! Aren't they supposed to be trained in high speed vehicle operation?

Even if he wasn't a CHP, this is a basic vehicle operation function, like swerving to avoid and car pulling out or steering into a skid or backing off the brake if they lock up and reapplying.

I guess people only learn how to put it in drive and press on the gas these days.

I learned to drive in the dirt and in snow country where you have to learn vehicle control. I have also attended a few high performance driving schools where you are taught extensive vehicle handling techniques.

I think this kind of training should be mandatory to get a license. Yes, it would cost more money but think of the money that would be saved in lower insurance costs, less traffic congestion, less vehicle wrecks and of course, lives saved.

Rant over.:|err
My first thought was why didn't the driver just turn the car off? I have not been in that situation so I dont know how I would react...im just sayin'

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had been wondering about the same thing. One theory on why he just turn it off or thow it in neutral was because of all the new high tech electronics and keyless entry/start, you might not be able too when the computer is rading a high rpm, it might disable shifting or turning/pushing of the on/off button. Never tried on my personal vehicle, would be good to know.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have had this happen, just reach down and turn the key off! Pretty simple and works.:)sphss By the way Chilipepper beautiful dog is that a Red Bone Hound? I have a 1 year old female and she is great with my 6 year old daughter who thrashes on her quite a bit.

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
Was this the accident a week or so ago in San Diego?
The car was a newer Lexus with the electronic pushbutton start/stop button. I don't know if it'll let you kill the engine when its gear, I think its a safegaurd to prevent accidently stopping the engine while driving.
The 911 call was released recently and yeah I was a bit shocked to listen to the driver saying "we're entering an intersection, PRAY everyone".
Last night we went to dinner with my S-I-L who owns a similar Lexus, she said she had the same thing happen to her where the gas pedal was pushed by the floormat, she was scared but was able to reach down and pull the mat back. It happened in traffic on El Camino Real.

Its a tragic thing to have happened.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
My first thought was why didn't the driver just turn the car off? I have not been in that situation so I dont know how I would react...im just sayin'
That is the last thing you want to do in a panic situation.. 9 times out of 10 you'll turn the key to far and lock the steering wheel.. better off "calmly" sticking it in neutral.. If it's an automatic just push it up, don't pull the lever towards ya as you don't want reverse on accident. :D

If you can turn the key off one click, then by all means.. but if you goto then you lost steering as well.

RD

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
it was a push button deal, rental car that they likely were not familiar with. (yes the neutral thing probably would have worked). From what i hear it crashed they died, then it burned. RIP.

·
Seriously off center
2,442 Posts
...If it's an automatic just push it up, don't pull the lever towards ya as you don't want reverse on accident. :D
RD
Really not an issue nowadays. Most cars have TCM's/programming that prevent ramming them in park or reverse at speed. The first time you try it it'll freak you out.....:D

·
Registered
643 Posts
That is the last thing you want to do in a panic situation.. 9 times out of 10 you'll turn the key to far and lock the steering wheel.. better off "calmly" sticking it in neutral.. If it's an automatic just push it up, don't pull the lever towards ya as you don't want reverse on accident. :D

If you can turn the key off one click, then by all means.. but if you goto then you lost steering as well.

RD
If the shifter is in Drive, the ignition switch will not turn back to the lock position. So just turn off the ignition the steering wheel won't lock unless the car is in Park.

·
Registered
344 Posts
dave is right, maybee at slower road speeds you can get away with turning the ignition off 1 click.. but that really is the last thing you want to do. bump the car into neutral and let it rev. apply the brakes and slow down steer off the road then shut it off. IF the accelrator sticks and you shut if off on a public street at god knows how fast and loose power brakes and power steering you are in for a ride if your not totally prepared and know what to expect. better to hurt the motor then loose someones life.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts

Because the result would have been the same. Engine off you have no control. I've driven class 8 trucks that have just "quit" running, believe me YOU HAVE NOTHING.

The guy was a stupid punk and shouldn't be driving.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
My thoughts exactly.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
My thoughts exactly.

Push button..likely not familiar with the rental car. You ballers with push button cars...don't you have to hold thebutton down for a while to turn the motor off? How do you know that the computer wasn't fried and the on/off button didn't work? How many ofyour wives drive Lexus'....are they ready to be ace drivers like all of you if this happens?

I do hear that witnesses said that all four brakes were glowing red/and /or on fire before the crash.

·
Dreaming of snow
1,053 Posts
From what Ive read many people are talking about a push button ignition, and a Lexus. Didnt the original poster state it was a CHP that lost control???? Didnt know CHP was driving Lexus's, damn ballers. ;)

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
I know nothing about the push button starters on some of the new cars. Will have to ask my buddy that drives a S2K about it.

Push button..likely not familiar with the rental car. You ballers with push button cars...don't you have to hold thebutton down for a while to turn the motor off? How do you know that the computer wasn't fried and the on/off button didn't work? How many ofyour wives drive Lexus'....are they ready to be ace drivers like all of you if this happens?

I do hear that witnesses said that all four brakes were glowing red/and /or on fire before the crash.

·
Brutally Honest
482 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like I said, just slap it into nuetral. It takes 2 seconds, literaly. You still will have power brakes, power steering, etc.

Sunds like he burnt up the brakes trying to stop it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts