Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Renegade jet
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 13" end to end driveshaft in my Cheyenne. I am looking to gain more interior space and was wondering if I should switch to a 1350 hbar driveline? Also for those running this setup, what kind of height difference should I have between the pump shaft and crankshaft CL and angle? Min - Max? This is for a very very mild lakeboat BTW.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I'm running 1310 u joints with a 15" driveshaft in my deal. running low 9.0s. They are plenty strong for what you are doing.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Pretty sure a 1310 is out of its league around 500 hp.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Spicer 1310's will handle well into 1000hp
No kidding, I see cars all the time with 300-500 hp, and they usually have somewhere in the neighborhood of a 2.5x or so first gear. If you have say 400 lb. ft of torque, x 2.5 x about 2 torque converter, you have a lot of torque goin thru a 1310 u-joint. Jets obviously have no torque multiplication.

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
I have NEVER tore up a set of 1310's in a boat. If you do, then something is seriously WRONG!!!!!

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
Set them up proper and keep em greased;) They will love you for it:p

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
There was a guy on HB running a 1310 I think with a thousand horsepower. His boat sank when his driveline let loose...1350 for me.

Scary to think some of you with all the coin you have wrapped up in your toys will go with the weakest alternative available for a jetboat driveline...:)coffee

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
There was a guy on HB running a 1310 I think with a thousand horsepower. His boat sank when his driveline let loose...1350 for me.

Scary to think some of you with all the coin you have wrapped up in your toys will go with the weakest alternative available for a jetboat driveline...:)coffee
Reality...... it didn't break from HP I can assure you. lack of maintenance or bad welds.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
I think tunneljet is wanting to ditch the long driveshaft in favor of a short H bar and move the engine back accordingly. I was wondering what would change if that was done also (driveshaft angle, driveability, handling, etc...).

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I think tunneljet is wanting to ditch the long driveshaft in favor of a short H bar and move the engine back accordingly. I was wondering what would change if that was done also (driveshaft angle, driveability, handling, etc...).
As long a the motor mounts, I'm assuming a rail kit is on the same plane( possibily 4 degrees) with the pump. You can move the motor back no problem with the use of a H bar style driveshaft.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
I run 1350's now just to be safe but the weight of a long 1350 driveshaft really bums me out. I ran 1310's for a long time and was running about 1000 hp with a shot of nitrous on that and it held up fine. There are a bunch of guys out there doing that right now and they seem to hold up, never seen one that was well maintained break. I didnt want to take a chance so I upgraded. One driveline guy told me that 900 HP was the limit of a 1310. Its probably safe to say jetboats dont load the driveline as hard as a car does, those guys drop the clutch and hook up and go we can only dream of traction like that so we can probably push a 1310 harder than they can.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
1-3º with pump shaft and crank shaft in parallel planes. My preference is not over 2º.

From Spicer Release...

"As part of the Spicer 10-Series family of driveshafts, the 1310 driveshaft is engineered to provide an extended spline life, with reduced thrust loads under pressure, lower friction under the load, and superior needle bearing retention. The driveshaft features universal joints that are easily serviced for minimized downtime, with an 800 pounds-per-foot/1,080 Nm (short duration) and 1,600 pounds-per-foot/2,160 Nm (minimum elastic limit) torsional rating and a 4.00-inch (101.6 mm) maximum swing diameter."

Also another reference in agreement with the above 1600 lb per foot rating below...

Also stating the rating of the 1350 is 2200 lb per foot of torque.

This is all in agreement with the Spicer literature I have as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Reality...... it didn't break from HP I can assure you. lack of maintenance or bad welds.
No welds on a 1310...I doubt maintenance was the prob. Ill see if I can dig up the thread. All Im saying is that there is a stronger, safer alternative available for not much more $$$. I'll bet you a 12pack though, you lose a driveline and the chances of your boat sinking increase really quick. Go ahead and play those odds. Ill keep my 1350.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
1350's are for 600hp and up.

p.158 CP Performance 2008-2009 Catalog

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
looks like the 1310 will take way over 1000hp with good ujoints in it, cause that's what's in my boat:D i had the driveshaft shop put in the strongest ujoints spicer made and check the balance afterwards, he said there's n.f.way i could break a joint. they've got about 15hrs on them so far, and i've hit em with the grease gun prob 3 times in that 15hrs. i check the shaft religiously along with loader bolts, etc.. fleetmus's gullwing goin to the bottom put the fear in me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts