Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got my boat wet a few times. Fixed all the small stuff and am now playing around with it.. Ive never drivena power boat before this one and am unfamillar with best practices...

Specifcly is it best to ease into the throttle or just mash the gas to get on plain then back it down accordingly?

Trim? Where to start? All the way down all the way up or in the middle and adjust?

Im a rookie so best practices please for normal driving (no racing or puling or anything). not trying to be some moron who kills him self or blows his motor the first season.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Trim down on take off "snap" the boat up on plane Then throttle back and trim up to the "economy" cruise speed and comfortable ride and enjoy . Every once in a while when it feels right flat foot it ,trim up and have fun ! Be safe :D Tom

·
Registered
988 Posts
i never trim my diverter down past the level setting. i just kinda roll onto the throttle and get it on plane. once on plane and cruising ill set the diverter slightly up. if it starts to get rough ill put it down to level position to stop some of the porpoising.

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
haha- i got a buddy that drives around with his up all day and recently got a ticket for doing it next to another boat, dumbasses

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
When taking off i tend to jump on the throttle to get up on plain quickly, NOT WOT, just enough to get that jump. I cant say that the place diverter helped much on my boat to get it on plain, the boats so small and i have enough power where it jumps right out, it might help to run it down but i cant really tell the difference. I think with bigger boats is where it helps.

·
Registered
988 Posts
also remember, with a jet you cannot turn unless your accelerating. Meaning if you need to get out of a bad situation letting off the throttle and turning is going to do nothing, you have to give it gas to turn!
My last boat was an outboard. that thing turned like it was on rails. my first trip out with my jet i tried to make a sharp turn panicked let off and put her in the toolies. :)sphss

sure felt like a dumb ass haha.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Makes for a good argument for the rudder. :D
EXACTLY! There's been thread after thread about if a rudder helps or not but they always talk about boats under power. After my little run up the shore i though to my self that maybe the rudder is for when your not under power! I have plans to test this i just need to find a cheap rudder on ebay!

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a rudder.. trust me with no thrust it does not help that much.. i was coasting with the wheel jacked to the right and straight she went.....:|err

Makes a damn fine skid plate though.

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
Yeah, I wouldnt think that a rudder that far back would help with no power unless you had a skeg somewhere on the bottom of the boat to act as a pivot point.

That sucks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts