Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a droop on a 21' open bow? I know they are not performance boats by any means, but just woundering if the droop would help it out of the hole alittle better.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does it run now thinking of putting a droop on my 21 ultra xt open bow
The speedo read 52mph with 6 people in it, but the speedo's on boats are hardly accurate. I would say the speed was probably closer in the 40-45mph range.

b-w, i'll call him up tomorrow, thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have a droop on my 21 shockwave it is running a 502 with inducer and ride plate and an A impeller bought it that way seems to come right on plane but i think it causes the bucket to drag in the water and makes it a very stiff steering wheel that only frees up above 40 MPH if you put one on let me know if it affects your steering boat rides well starts to bounce if diverter is up to high i think it rides dry at speed this pic it's running over 50http://www.performanceboats.com/images/attach/jpg.gif boat tops out at 62 on GPS

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does run dry in the pic you posted. All the jets that I had, they would ALL have stiffer steering when the diverter was up. This boat doesn't have a droop and its alittle stuff when the diverter is up, even with a steering extension. Thats just a nature of the beast though. I once had a little 18' SW with a droop and diverter without a steering extension, NEVER again..lol

With these heavy boats, they will definately purpoise at higher speeds with the diverter up. Im sure it has to do with the uneven balance. 62mph is a good number. I'll be happy with 70, once I build the right motor one day. Nice boat by the way!

·
Registered
620 Posts
i have a droop on my 21 shockwave it is running a 502 with inducer and ride plate and an A impeller bought it that way seems to come right on plane but i think it causes the bucket to drag in the water and makes it a very stiff steering wheel that only frees up above 40 MPH if you put one on let me know if it affects your steering boat rides well starts to bounce if diverter is up to high i think it rides dry at speed this pic it's running over 50http://www.performanceboats.com/images/attach/jpg.gif boat tops out at 62 on GPS
Is this Jasons old boat if it is I thought he was getting close to 70mph in that thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is this Jasons old boat if it is I thought he was getting close to 70mph in that thing.
Yes it is his old boat i lost some MPH when i put baffles in the exhaust that knocked it down a bit and he did say he had it up to 68 MPH with just him in the boat and i clock it with my Garmin out of my truck and i had my wife, ezup ,chairs, cooler and some other required river gear the only other changes i have made to the boat are chrome,powder coat and some stainless steel to replace the aluminum diamond plate and polished aluminum

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Nice to see the Shockwave 21's out there! I am hoping to see over the 70 mark with my new motor. Taking it to Shockwave for new interior on Saturday.

·
Registered
526 Posts
02 Cobra 21' open bow, probably heavier then most, after 2 years of owning it I put a droop snoot on it and it made a world of differance, not only did I gain (i say ) 5mph just the handleing of the boat and the ride was so much better, I would recommend everybody with a 21' put a droop on with a hydralic place diverter...As to your question of helping it get out of the hole, probably not..just my $0.02 thou..

·
Registered
135 Posts
You really just have to try it. I have a Carrera Elite with a set back pump and had a droop. It was fine at 45 plus, but anything under that it would porpoise unless the diverter was full down and even if I went through a wake and it started bouncing it wouldn't stop. I tried to wedge it down 4 degrees and that gave me more adjustment, but the bucket would drag at full down (old style reverse bucket). I threw on a straight snoot just to try it and problem solved. I can cruise with the nozzle pretty much neutral or straight out and didn't lose any top mph.

If you can get your hands on one try it first.

·
Registered
620 Posts
02 Cobra 21' open bow, probably heavier then most, after 2 years of owning it I put a droop snoot on it and it made a world of differance, not only did I gain (i say ) 5mph just the handleing of the boat and the ride was so much better, I would recommend everybody with a 21' put a droop on with a hydralic place diverter...As to your question of helping it get out of the hole, probably not..just my $0.02 thou..
Whats kinda performance are you getting with your cobra and how much Hp? 5mph is alot for a 21' cruzier .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts