Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a droop snoot because my original nozzel housing wore out. I'm running a Place Diverter with a 4* wedge. My qustion is, should I continue to run the wedge with the new droop snoot or ditch it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that the purpose of the droop is to put the outlet further down in the water. Wouldn't the wedge cancel that out?

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I was thinking that the purpose of the droop is to put the outlet further down in the water. Wouldn't the wedge cancel that out?
since you have a pd, you're using that to set nozzle angle. so no need to discuss that.
if you wedge the droop "up", you raise thrust centerline. if you wedge it "down", you lower thrust centerline. where to set the thing depends on your boat, how much power you have, how fast the thing is. on my old boat, I used to wedge the droop to adjust thrust centerline and et. from 3 degrees down to 2 degrees up, keeping nozzle angle adjusted the same. 1 degree was good for .10 in et. almost half a second adjustment just with the wedges. lowering thrust centerline get's the boat on top of the water at a lower speed than it will with the thrust centerline higher. thus making the boat quicker. there are limits to this. lowering thrust centerline too far can get the boat uncomfortably loose at top speed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks that's some good info. I think I'll start with 4* up and see how I like it. Then I'll flip it and do 4* down and see how that feels. For the hell of it I'll run it without the wedge too. I never thought of running 4*down but it makes sense.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Thanks that's some good info. I think I'll start with 4* up and see how I like it. Then I'll flip it and do 4* down and see how that feels. For the hell of it I'll run it without the wedge too. I never thought of running 4*down but it makes sense.
if I ran my old sw with the droop wedged that far down, it would be out of the water at half track, completely unloaded and flopping all over the water. depending on track, it would do that with 3 degrees down.
you're talking about an 8* difference when a 2 or 3 degree change will make a helluva difference. again, it depends how much power you have, how much the boat weighs, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts