Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of drop hitches are you guys using and which have you had issues with? I'm looking at towing a boat that is listed at 5,700 lbs on a triple axel trailer (probably another 1,800 or so lbs). I need a 6 to 8 inch drop. I currently have an "alumistinger" drop hitch from my last boat that is listed at 8K lbs, but I'm worried it might not be enough. I've read a little about the "Rapid Hitch" but by the time you buy the hitch and the locking pins, you're into it for well over $200.00. It also seems as though some people have had issues with them..

Any advise you guys could offer would be appreciated....

Thanks,
B

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
I have a 10" rapid hitch on my truck and my boat on the trailer is right around 6700 lbs. Never had an issue with mine.

Mike

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
I've had 4" and 10" Alumastinger's on my last 2 trucks..no problems and they look pimp too :)devil

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
I'm a fan of the "FRIEDL" regular steel drop hitches. They are made out of solid steel, look nice, and rated at 10K + on my 8" drop hitch. I just prefer not to hitch my rig with a piece of aluminum.

http://www.defianttruckproducts.com...+HITCH+COMPONENTS/88/MAGNUM+MOUNT-BLACK/0.php

Not their website, but some pics and info on them. They are the shyt. Towed a 26' toyhauler (loaded) with one in a pinch worked just fine.

The price is usually under 60 bucks or so if i remember right.

HOpe this helps.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Always did like the looks of the Alumastinger hitches.

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
What kind of drop hitches are you guys using and which have you had issues with? I'm looking at towing a boat that is listed at 5,700 lbs on a triple axel trailer (probably another 1,800 or so lbs). I need a 6 to 8 inch drop. I currently have an "alumistinger" drop hitch from my last boat that is listed at 8K lbs, but I'm worried it might not be enough. I've read a little about the "Rapid Hitch" but by the time you buy the hitch and the locking pins, you're into it for well over $200.00. It also seems as though some people have had issues with them..

Any advise you guys could offer would be appreciated....

Thanks,
B
I agree B that you should be fine with the Alumistinger.....see you Friday....

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
I agree B that you should be fine with the Alumistinger.....see you Friday....
friday huh, oh now I know why you are not doing the dam run...

funny, i read his post as "drop the bitch"... must have had something to do with a text i got from my ex...

·
Nordic 35' Flame
529 Posts
I use something like this...you should see what a car looks like when they rear end me in traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
The Rapid hitch sucks.. I have 3 of them and plan on ditching all of them.

I'm not sure the brand (I'll find out today though) but Forensic bought one awhile back that is light years ahead of the rapid hitch. The way the lock works is better, it has spring loaded tensioners in it so there's no vibration or noise.. Nice freakin hitch.

For those wondering why I said the rapid hitch sucks.. The little barrel locks are "lightly" press fit into those aluminum ball caps. What that means is any joe shmoe with a pair of plyers can just grab the lock and pull it off. Literally I could do it in about 3 seconds.

Or even better yet (how I come to find out they are just press fit) you can stop at your destination to notice that your little aluminum cap thing is gone.. and the only thing holding the pin in for the adjustable side was "luck." Having now 2 of those barrel lock deals fall out, I'm less than impressed, and more amazed that they haven't killed somebody yet.

I use spring clips now with the original rapid hitch pins (no cap / lock)

RD

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Rapid Hitch is the shiit. Especially if you pull different trailers. I have 3.

I have the 10' drop and pull a little over 4000 lbs. There are guys pulling way more. I've been using it for 2 years and am very happy with it. I wouldn't buy anything else.

As far as the locks bing an issue, I don't use the locks. Just lock it to the receiver. I figure Aluminum isn't worth that much for them to steal it and whats is someone going to do with half of a hitch. That and your common bum doesn't know what it is.

RD,

let me know when your junk hitches become availible. I have a few friends that might want them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Rapid hitch sucks.. I have 3 of them and plan on ditching all of them.

I'm not sure the brand (I'll find out today though) but Forensic bought one awhile back that is light years ahead of the rapid hitch. The way the lock works is better, it has spring loaded tensioners in it so there's no vibration or noise.. Nice freakin hitch.

RD
Its a Diversi-Tech (DT)
http://www.diversi-tech.net/Home Page.htm

You can find them on ebay with free shipping.
Spanky's in Parker carries them too.

RD,

let me know when your junk hitches become availible. I have a few friends that might want them.
If there is something better, why would you want the lesser of the two?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts